My husband and I stayed at Shaka for a week in March of 2013. We are both snowboarders who wanted to learn to surf, and we decided on Shaka after reading many online reviews.
The small staff is warm and wonderful. We especially loved getting to know Megan, the yoga instructor. The surf lessons were excellent, and everyone was able to progress at their own pace. Although we never really mastered it, we both were able to get up on the board and catch short rides. it was harder than we expected and we were quite sore all over from the daily effort. But we had a lot of fun and loved every minute of it.
The beach is fabulous! Beautiful white sand, not at all busy or touristy. It was like having your own private, pristine stretch of heaven!
The accommodations were simple, but clean and comfortable. The air conditioning was a blessing as we were there in the height of the dry season and it got very hot in the afternoons. We had planned to visit the area in the afternoons, but it was so hot that we had many great afternoon siestas instead! There is no tv in the cabinas, but you won't even miss it.
The meals were authentic Costa Rican fare. Simple, but fresh. You don't get any say in what is served, so this is not the place for you if you are a picky eater or if you have dietary restrictions. But trust me, it is all delicious - especially after a hard day of surfing and yoga! Breakfast and dinner are provided, but you have to make your own lunches or go into town for lunch. (It would have been nice if we had known this in advance of arriving, as we thought it was included.) We discovered that you could take a nice walk down the beach to Pranamar, a fancy yoga retreat, for an amazing lunch. Shaka does not serve alcohol, but you can buy it nearby and store it in their fridge. (This would also have been nice to know ahead of time.)
Shaka is a beautiful getaway. The whole experience felt very authentic, and the people were so warm and welcoming. We would love to go back with our kids one day when they are a bit older. This would be so much fun for teenagers!
- Also Known As:
- Shaka Beach Retreat Hotel
- Shaka Beach Retreat Hotel Santa Teresa
- Shaka Surf Camp Hotel
- Shaka Surf Camp Santa Teresa
- Shaka Beach Retreat Costa Rica/Santa Teresa
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Located just 5 minutes North of Mal Pais and Santa Teresa, is the highly desirable upscale neighborhood of "Playa Hermosa." Shaka Beach Retreat is a private haven offering an alluring example of modern tropical architecture, nestled in the tropical jungle surroundings, home to monkeys, birds, and fruit trees. A short walk leads to one of the most beautiful quiet beaches the country has to offer. Perfect for swimming, relaxing on the sand, and all levels of surfers. Join us for our popular Surf and Yoga Retreats, offered year round. ... more less