“Best Costa Rican Experience” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Shaka Beach Retreat

We can't find prices for this hotel
Shaka Beach Retreat
You added Shaka Beach Retreat to your Saves list
200 M Norte de Escuela | Village of Playa Hermosa, Santa Teresa, Costa Rica   |
Ranked #7 of 25 Hotels in Santa Teresa
Durango, Colorado
“Best Costa Rican Experience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2011

Excellent service when needed. The living quarters, nestled in the jungle, give a sense of adventure and freedom with just a short walk to the beach. The cabanas are homey with air conditioning, safes, and clean bathrooms. The drive is far but is well worth it. I’d say an authentic Costa Rican experience.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (21)
Hemet, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2011

this is a great camp for surfers or anyone who wants to see the jungle... your minutes from the beach and surrounded by jungle!
nothings better.

Room Tip: all four rooms are top notch, not a bad one
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
Palo Alto, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 26, 2011

When my business partner and I sold our business to a global group based in the UK, we wanted to celebrate with a surf trip. I am a novice while he grew up in Hawaii and he surfs regularly in Northern California (brrr!). Where to go? The perfect spot for both of us was Shaka. We actually found it through Trip Advisor and what a great choice!

Shaka was super easy to work with before we arrived and they customized a trip for us with surfing lessons every day.

We pulled into the camp late one night and the staff and guests were sitting outside sipping beers and relaxing and invited us to pull up seats. We felt immediately at home and like we were with old friends. There was a cool young honeymoon couple from Germany (doctors), a triathlon instructor (and wine sales guy) from Canada, a finance guy from New York and a mom traveling by herself for 10 days of yoga! What a mixed group and they couldn't have been nicer. There was a local Costa Rican lady along with two friends of the surf camp who were passing through and helping the camp with surf lessons. That same night we got help with our pop up technique.

The following days were a blur of great experiences. Howler monkeys in the morning! The water was 81 degrees, the break perfect for learning as well as for more advanced surfers. Heck, I got up 30 times my first day even though I cracked a rib! These guys are great teachers. The food was simple but tasty. Nearby Santa Teresa is a bustling beach scene of young surfers and burners from around the world with little shops and restaurants tucked along a rutted dirt road. In a word, FANTASTIC!

I enjoyed myself so much I'm coming back over and over. Indeed, I'm planning a trip with my family for next XMAS for a week stay. I don't see how you could improve much on this experience.

Thanks again to all the wonderful people at Shaka! See you soon!

• Stayed January 2011, traveled with friends
San Diego, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2011

It doesn't get much better than this....great waves, warm water, perfect weather, excellent company, wonderful accommodations and wildlife everywhere. What more else is there to say? Chris and Krista are great hosts, with Chris providing the surf instruction and Krista serving up the tasty meals. Brian was more than just a volunteer at Shaka, he's an awesome guy who is also a great surfer and instructor. The bonuses were the kids, who were a lot of fun to play with and the neighbor's dog Tysa who is the coolest. You can be as social or as private as you would like. Believe me, I spent many hours laying around in a hammock in the rancho while people were around, either reading, napping or talking story.
Just go find out yourself....I'm ready to go back!

• Stayed December 2010
Calgary, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 30, 2010

To everyone out there looking or even thinking about surfing in Costa Rica. You really have to put Shaka on the top of your list and just make it happen. It was more than I expected in every way. I have never been to Central America and I went down there by myself, I really had no idea what to expect but I was surprised how nice/clean the accommodations were and how great the people were. You have beautiful teak cabina all to yourself and if you want to be social you could hang out in the rancho and meet great people from all over the world or you could always just chill in your private hammock. Chris is great a great surf instructor, he truly wants to see you succeed. Krista on the other hand makes your stay as comfortable as possible and cooks some great meals. After my visit I realized that many of the other surf camps that I looked into just lease a hotel and set you up with 2 hr surf lesson but at Shaka you hang out and surf with the people that own the place and their passion for what they does really shows. I was really impressed and I'am already planning another to trip to Shaka this spring.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled solo
Minneapolis, Minnesota
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2010

Surfing, Monkeys, Awesome town, and some of the coolest people I have ever had the pleasure of chillen with. Chris and Frank made it easy and fun to book my trip. I was blown away at how cool the camp is. Its surrounded by jungle and just a short walk down the trail from the beach. The trip I took to Costa Rica and Shaka Surf Camp was worth every penny and I can't wait to get back in the ocean and surf because of this experience!

• Stayed April 2010, traveled solo
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2010

My disabled son (23) and 16 yr. old traveled here to participate in the Oceans Healing Group disabled surf camp held at the Shaka Surf Camp. The cabinas were immaculate and so attractive; the grounds were pristine, tropical, and so colorful! The staff and volunteers literally made a difference in our lives, expecially for my son, who was able to experience surfing in the ocean for the first time.....and in VERY warm water! The 3 of us felt cared for, cared about, made some life-long friends and had a blast living in this truly, "magical" tropical paradise! The roads are rough all over Costa Rica, but that's part of the marvelous adventure. Even if you have never surfed, their patience & professionalism will make all the difference in having an extremely positive experience!

Stayed July 2010, traveled with family

Been to Shaka Beach Retreat? Share your experiences!