“Very difficult to avoid excess of compliments” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Otro Lado Lodge and Restaurant

and 1 more site!
You added Otro Lado Lodge and Restaurant to your Saves list
Otro Lado Lodge and Restaurant
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   200 Mt North of Soccer Field Santa Teresa, Santa Teresa, Costa Rica   |
Ranked #9 of 26 Hotels in Santa Teresa
milan
“Very difficult to avoid excess of compliments”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2014

The place is out of the crowd but close to anything you would ever need. Built around a nice living open area and pool, it is held by a group of friends who believe in zen, good food and surf. Their love for life is in everything around, from the fresh flowers in every bathroom, to the candles on every balcony to the hammocks and the atmosphere. Perfect for lonely travelers, surfers and cool people looking for quality time. 5 stars on everything and absolute reco!!!

• Stayed August 2014

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (34)
Cologne, Germany
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2014 via mobile

Absolutely amazing atmosphere with european neatness. The small hotel is hosted by a courteous Italian couple who is always willing for a nice chat or advise. Cleaner than most other places and with that special sense of comfort and convenience without abundant luxury.

Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2014

I was a bit disappointed by the size of the hotel. Very small with rooms everywhere. It felt odd to walk into this hotel. It is very well kept, but all the decor is about yoga, zen with buda statues etc. Great if you are into that. For me, it was a bit too much. Stayed in Santa Teresa because I booked this hotel. The beach is beautiful, but the hotel is not on the beach.
The town is great for surfers, other than that, I don't know who else would want to stay here when there are other beaches that are more accessible. There is a long stretch of a very bumpy road that is probably only accessible by 4 x 4 vehicles when it rains.
The owners seemed just ok. I thought they were very vigilant. Breakfast was good.
I would not come here for the hotel. For the price, there are hotels right on the beach.

Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Arlington, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2014

I booked my stay at Otro Lado based solely on TripAdvisor reviews, and I wasn't let down. As others have said, the rooms are basic, but they're tastefully done and very clean. The only negative thing I can say is that the beds were a bit hard, but other than that the room was great. The shower was wonderful; great water pressure with plenty of hot water. It was very refreshing after a long day at the beach and in the sun. Breakfast was excellent and included. Whenever I've stayed at hotels with free breakfast, it tends to be standard without much variety. I wasn't expecting the breakfast options at Otro Lado (eggs, toast, fruit; nutella crepe; pancakes; etc.). The location of Otro Lado was great. I wasn't sure going into the trip how close it would be to restaurants, grocery stores, etc., but they're all within walking distance. Throughout our stay, we rented and ATV to drive around town and also between several beaches. The staff was very friendly and accommodating, especially Selvaggia and Mateo. Prior to our trip, I emailed the hotel with several questions, and Selvaggia always answered within just a few hours with helpful information. I will definitely stay at Otro Lado when I return to Santa Teresa.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with friends
Vienna, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2014

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with friends
Fishkill, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2014

Clean!! Beautiful!! Friendly!! Affordable!! I had no idea what to expect and this place exceeded my expectations! Located so close to beach and town. The owners are pleasant and super helpful! Décor is beautifully simple and tastefully done. The pool is pristine. Breakfast is included and is delicious! The bungalow had everything we needed and grocery was a short walk and bungalow was cleaned daily. Felt very safe with my children there. Santa Teresa is a beautiful place with beautiful people. Most of the other guests were return guests and I now know why. I highly recommend Otro Lado Lodge and would return in a heartbeat. Thank you for the wonderful stay!

Room Tip: bungalow upstairs had a/c, downstairs fan
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2014 via mobile

We just returned from a week in Santa Teresa and want to go back! And we'd definitely stay at Otro Lado again! The rooms are great - we stayed in a villa, which was clean and spacious. Cooked some fresh caught red snapper there for dinner using our kitchen one night. The pool was perfect, and the greenery and flowers surrounding the pool and rooms is very well designed - it made us feel like we were in our own little tropical world. The staff were so helpful and friendly, from Selvaggia and Nicoletta to the ladies that kept our rooms clean and given fresh towels daily. It was great to see them all work happily together like a family and treat each other like so - made us feel even better to be there. We've stayed in several hotels during many trips to Costa Rica, and this one is at the top of our list!

Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple