“Loved it, for 2 years in a row!” 5 of 5 stars

Otro Lado Lodge and Restaurant
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Santa Teresa, Costa Rica   |
Ranked #9 of 25 hotels in Santa Teresa
Miami, Florida
“Loved it, for 2 years in a row!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2013

I spent a week there, in 2012, and 2 weeks in 2013, and I can't wait to go back again!
You can either stay in a 2-story, spacious townhouse with kitchen, very practical for families with kid(s), or in a king-size room with balcony, great for singles or couples. I loved the shower and the ecological atmosphere of the room. The pool is great and the breakfast food super tasty. Thanks Baggi and Nico!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family

176 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
Oslo, Norway
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2013

Absolutely beautiful, clean and well-driven. We stayed for five nights and had a lovely time in our lodge, by the pool or in the dining area. Good italian breakfast and lunch! Good value for the money and I will highly recommend it!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Prague, Czech Republic
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2013

I have hesitated to write this review, as I did not want everyone to find out about this amazing little property and overrun it. Otro Lado is a beautiful respite off of the main road in Santa Teresa. It has a great main dining area, yoga area, and a few rooms and bungalows. It is small, but feels private. The bungalows are great, two stories and spacious and modernly decorated. The kitchen in the bungalow is fully functional, and the cleaning ladies do a wonderful job every day helping out even with the dishes. I have stayed in Santa Teresa a few times, and never used the pool at any of the hotels. This pool was too nice not to get in. I spent many an afternoon lounging by the little pool and pinching myself to see if I was dreaming. As for food, the breakfast is simple yet delicious, and at lunch you can find authentic Italian fare (which is great). The owners are very helpful and nice. There was only one employee who may need to do an internship at a big hotel to understand how to treat guests, but she didn't get us down. We stayed at Otro Lado for a month, and would not hestitate to return.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Toronto, Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2013

I stay in this hotel for 4 nights and the long loud chanting, twice a day, 1 hour per session, really ruin my stay there. The first day I thought those repetitive sounds were coming from outside but after checking I figure out, it was the owner herself doing some louds chanting outside her place. I m not against yoga chanting but I think the minimum you can do to respect your guests is to do it inside your house as for me it get my nerves after 40 min of repetitive sounds..I just want to inform the other travellers about this weird concern, better to know it in advance !! Otherwise the hotel itself is not bad, nice pool, rooms confortable, but at night I thought I will be in a quiet area and not be forced to hear those loud noises...

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Gainesville, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2013

I definitely recommend this beautiful hotel to anyone traveling to the Santa Teresa/ Mal Pais area. We stayed for two nights in a two story villa, and absolutely loved our experience. The room was clean, well decorated, and filled with great amenities- A/C, outdoor shower, multiple hammocks, full size fridge, and more! The surrounding gardens and pool were spectacular and provided us with just enough privacy from the other guests. The service was good and very friendly. Location was perfect - just across the street from a beach entrance and a few meters from a great beach burger restaurant. We had a car but were able to walk to many different restaurants and shops (we even rented surf boards on the way to the beach!). Don't miss out on the opportunity to stay here!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
Gainesville, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2013 via mobile

This hotel was our first experience we had in Costa Rica and it blew us away. The two story villa had everything you needed and more for a perfect beach getaway. The bedroom had a/c, the kitchen had a coffee maker, full fridge, and dishes, the downstairs bathroom had an outdoor shower which we thought was the coolest, and the pool was a refreshing relief from the salty Pacific. The service was very good and friendly. The breakfast in the morning was not great and not being able to flush toilet paper was kind of disgusting but the positives definitely outweighed the negatives. I would definitely stay again.

• Stayed August 2013
San José, Costa Rica
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2013

The hotel is small and located in Santa Teresa, almost in front of one of the beach entrances. Stayed for 3 nights, arrived really late which was no problem as the night guard was expecting us and led us fast to our room. We stayed at room 6 which was clean and had a very comfy king bed an air conditioner and a ceiling fan. Bathroom and decor are all very zen and invite you to economize water which I found great. The room had a couple of chairs outside to chat and enjoy the ambiance. The included breakfast was simple but tasty and fresh. The whole hotel has a very calm spirit, is close enough to the beach and main street so you can walk there but not so close that you will hear the noise from cars. Parking is behind the hotel so you need to go back to the previous entrance if you go and try the signed entrance. I found it safe, and close enough to our room. Pool is great if you take into account the beach is more for surfing than swimming. The yoga room has a daily schedule and looked very nice although we did not use it. The hotel has some cats and a dog as pets that we found very amicable and enjoyable. We saw them only during the breakfast and were in no way a nuisance. They do no have TV on each room but with so much to see and do you won't miss it. They take credit cards as payment (something not so common in Santa Teresa).

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends

Been to Otro Lado Lodge and Restaurant? Share your experiences!