“Great Hotel & Great Service!” 5 of 5 stars

Otro Lado Lodge and Restaurant
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Santa Teresa, Costa Rica   |
Ranked #9 of 25 Hotels in Santa Teresa
new york
“Great Hotel & Great Service!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2013

We had the pleasure of staying at Otro Lado for four nights and absolutely loved it! The hotel is conveniently located across the street from the beach but is nestled away from the noise and traffic of Santa Teresa's main road so you feel like you're walking into a private oasis when you enter the driveway. Our room was spacious and bright with a private balcony that had a table and chairs that overlooked the pool area. The furniture and decor throughout the hotel are simple but extremely inviting. The housekeeping at the hotel is exceptional- the rooms and common areas are all very well maintained and the cleaning products that they use smell fresh and florally, instead of like chemicals. Despite all of the dust and sand we tracked in from walking around all day, housekeeping miraculously managed to keep our room spotless for the duration of our stay. The pool area and garden are very relaxing and were great to come home to- we usually went to the beach during the day and then lounged by the pool at night. We loved the healthy breakfast each morning- our favorite was the fruit and granola with the tropical fruit juice. For lunch, you have to try the gazpacho.

Although we loved the hotel itself, what truly made our stay special was the people of Otro Lado. Nico, Baggi, Elena, Maria, etc. were all fantastic from start to finish. During our first phone call with Elena we were greeted with a warm and friendly voice that was eager to help us arrange plans for our trip. Nico kindly arranged our airport transportation (which was flawless), gave us excellent restaurant recommendations each night, and suggested fun trips for us each day. Baggi was exceptional at anticipating our needs and going above and beyond to accommodate them- we felt like guests staying in her house. She even gave me one of her own books to take because I forgot mine and I had already read the ones in the room. Maria, the chef, met us with a smile everyday and made us refreshing and light meals (perfect for the warm weather).

Needless to say, we highly recommend Otro Lado to anyone who is visiting Santa Teresa and look forward to returning very soon!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (27)
Moncton, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 13, 2013

We were most fortunate to have stayed here for 3 nights. A lovely environment, we enjoyed our 1 bedroom, 2 bath, lodge located right next to the pool. The bedroom was on the 2nd floor with a king bed and full bath. The main floor had two single day beds, a kitchenette and a full bath. Dining area in a sheltered area just outside along with two hammocks perfect for chilling.

The owners/operators are very hospitable and provide breakfast as part of the package.

The beach is a short walk and there are a lot of great restaurants in the area, both local or typical food Sodas and mid to high end restaurants providing everything from Argentinian options to Sushi.

We were delighted with our stay and look forward to returning for a longer stay.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
London
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 7, 2013

Stayed here for 1 week in March for the Surf & Yoga package. The outdoor yoga studio was beautifully located in the garden, the room was bright, clean, and with it's own balcony overlooking the pool and garden. The bathroom was great as well. The whole place has very naturally been incorporated into the leafy surroundings in a way that was both simple but with attention to every detail.

The service was fantastic - I travelled on my own and felt very well taken care of. The breakfasts and lunches were delicious and the atmosphere was very relaxed while the service was always attentive and swift.

I can highly recommend this place to anyone travelling to Santa Teresa!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
Westfield, New Jersey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 3, 2013

We didn't really get to spend much time here - just needed a place for our last night in Santa Teresa and were lucky to get a 2br loft. I really liked the smooth cement floors and sliding bamboo doors. My son (10) wasn't quite as enchanted with the open shower concept (he worried about bugs getting in), but I really enjoyed the zen simplicity of Otro Lado. The shelf of second hand books, fresh flowers and the Buddha statues throughout the property were also nice touches.

The resort is very compact, which made the whole place very cozy and intimate. While centrally located and walking distance to several markets, surf shops and restaurants, it was set back off the dusty road as well, which added to the feeling of a little oasis. Our front door was just steps to the pool, which I always find helpful with kids. We all enjoyed an awesome swim under the stars and then sat and ate take-out (the kids loved Chicken Joe's) in our swimsuits at our little outdoor dining area.

The common areas are quite nice. I would have liked to have taken a yoga class or two, but we were off to catch a boat early the next morning. The staff was kind enough, however, to get breakfast going a little early so that we could enjoy some beautiful crepes and croissants before we headed out.

A few things to be aware of: the spiral steps to the loft bedroom, while really cool, are not particularly safe for kids. My daughter almost slipped through them. Also, it's close enough to the road to hear some cars and people at night. I would imagine this is not a big deal most of the time - we were there the Saturday before Easter, their busiest time, and it wasn't bad.

Cute place.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Oak Park, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 3, 2013

We walked into the dining room of Otro Lado, and immediately swooned over the smell of homemade pasta. Salvaggia showed us to our two-story lodge, and we were in love. The place is immaculate, simple, and smells lovely. The beds are very comfortable, and we loved the fact that the shower downstairs is an "outdoor" shower. The landscaping is perfect and gives each person a feeling of total privacy. We were in the pool every day, and usually had it to ourselves. The food is wonderful, the people here are warm and kind, rooms are immaculate, and I'm picky! I can't believe the fantastic price on such a wonderful place. There is beach entry right across the street and many amazing restaurants within walking distance. We have never slept so well or relaxed so much on vacation. We will be back!

Room Tip: Everything feels very private because of the excellent landscaping. We had two hammocks and were ri...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Sebastopol, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2013 via mobile

We just had a lovely stay here. The poolside room was awesome, the grounds are immaculate, and we felt like we were living in the lap of luxury. Most amazing of all was the foo (breakfast and lunch only). The pasta was simply incredible. Homemade gnocchi like fluffy clouds, succulent ravioli, and each sauce was the platoon ideal of itself. Really authentic Italian flavors. Yum!!!

• Stayed March 2013
Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 29, 2013

I recently had a fantastic six-day stay at Otro Lado Lodge.

The hotel is located close to the beach, multiple excellent restaurants, and a supermarket.

My hotel room was attractive and clean. My bed was comfortable, and I slept well every night. The photos on the hotel's website are accurate. The selection of books in my room (both fiction and non fiction) was a charming touch -- I settled on a book about dreaming to read during my stay.

The hotel's courtyard is lushly adorned with plants and trees, and was a pleasant contrast to the dusty main road of Santa Teresa. I appreciated Otro Lado Lodge's environmentally friendly stance.

Otro Lado has its own restaurant. Their included breakfast is excellent. Service for breakfast starts at 07:30, but they were glad to package up a croissant for me the night prior to one of my early-morning expeditions. I also enjoyed two great lunches, and did quite a bit of reading while sipping coffee under the Costa Rican sun at the restaurant.

Selvaggia, Nico, and their team's friendly and helpful attitude made my stay very enjoyable.

I strongly recommend Otro Lado Lodge, and would be delighted to stay at this hotel during my next trip to Santa Teresa!

Stayed March 2013, traveled solo

Been to Otro Lado Lodge and Restaurant? Share your experiences!