“Wonderful place to stay” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Otro Lado Lodge and Restaurant

You added Otro Lado Lodge and Restaurant to your Saves list
Otro Lado Lodge and Restaurant
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   200 Mt North of Soccer Field Santa Teresa, Santa Teresa, Costa Rica   |
Ranked #9 of 26 Hotels in Santa Teresa
Salt Lake City, Utah
“Wonderful place to stay”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2012

Best choice in Santa Teresa. The rooms were large and bright. All windows had screens so you could use the fan and have the windows open, or air-conditioning when it was really hot. The property is gorgeous with lovely common areas. The owners were out of town, but left Francesca in charge. She was exceedingly helpful and friendly. -Logan/Andrew, Salt Lake City, UT

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (34)
San Francisco, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 7, 2012

My friends and I had the best experience at Otro Lado. The place is well laid out, landscaped very well, and the rooms were very clean and neat. Housekeeping was impressive and each room was a nice size, bathrooms were nice, and every room had a balcony. This place is totally cute. There was even a very refreshing pool. I loved this place because I came to Santa Teresa to Surf and do yoga. The most amazing thing about this place is that so much was included. We got to do yoga everyday if we wanted (Francesca, yoga instructor was amazing and so so nice), got massages which were top notch ( i own a day spa), and meals were included which were delicious. Btw, the coffee there is so good! We met the owners briefly and they were very nice and accomodating. I really want to mention Francesca (diff than yoga instructor) who totally took care of us in terms of answering questions, serving meals, booking yoga, massage, taxi's and reservations for dinner. Even the cook, Maria was a sweetheart. This place is very well run and efficient in a laid back way. I loved my stay and will definitely be back.

Room Tip: Every room is great.
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends
Berlin, Germany
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 31, 2012

We stayed there for three nights and found it great. Everything was perfect. The place is almost new and beautifully designed. We loved the architecture. The garden, grounds and pool are all very nice. Our room was excellent with a nice balcony. WiFi internet worked well, unless there was a power outage. It wasn't not real fast though (as in many places in Costa Rica). There were fly-screens everywhere, a/c worked great, ceiling fan, safety deposit box, all good. The staff were friendly and helpful.

The beach is about 100 m away crossing the street and walking through the grove. There are shops and restaurants in short walking distance.

A few comments about Santa Teresa: It's basically a 3 km long very dusty dirt road with many pot holes lined with shops, restaurants, hotels and hostels. It has a very long beach separated from the road by a grove and many people go there for surfing.

"Otro Lado" is an oasis away from the road in the second row of properties.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
Oakland, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2012

Otro Lado is a great place to stay in Santa Teresa. The owners were on vacation last week during my stay, but Francesca was there to take care of all my and my friends' needs - restaurant recommendations, reservations, massage appointments, everything! Accommodations are clean and neat. I was there with 2 other girlfriends and we each had our own rooms. They were cleaned immaculately each morning. Due to the ego-friendly nature of the Santa Teresa area, sheets and towels are replaced very few days, but they will replace more often when requested. Note that there are no tv's in the room, but there is AC. With the beauty of the beach and the warm loving Tica energy, there's no need for televised entertainment.

Room Tip: There are 2 story villas available as well and the pool is very refreshing!
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends
New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 11, 2012

Every year when May arrives I usually take a little break from work.
This year was Santa Teresa, Costa Rica.
I staid at Otrolado for a week and it was an amazing experience.
Everything was perfect, from the room, clean and comfortable to the food, authentic Italian and deliciously fresh (try the homemade spinach and ricotta ravioli, the daily backed focaccia and croissants). Salads and fruits were tastier then ever. The “batido misto” (fresh fruits smoothie) was a must every day.
The location is perfect, close to the beach, quiet at night and a step away from supermarket and shops.
The owners, Baggi and Nico are super friendly, happily available to accommodate every request when possible. They also offer surfing lessons, yoga class (private and groups) and massage. I had twice a deep tissue massage, two private “posture and flexibility” class (stretching) and a yoga lesson at the beach. The healthiest week of my life!
They have the sweetest dog and cats in the world “ATA, GINO and CIRO”.
The view at beach is breathtaking, a long coast of sand, big waves, nature and sun.
Morning walks and watching sunset made the beach a place where I want to live forever.
During my stay at Otrolado, I saw families, couples and group of friends enjoying this place like me, in relax, having fun and in perfect balance with nature and life.

I have been working in hospitality for a long time now, in Europe and USA and even if I’m on vacation my attention goes on details every place I stay. The owners and their team are doing an excellent job, I definitely recommend this place and I will be back as soon as I can.

Thank you again for the unforgettable time!

Isabella

• Stayed May 2012, traveled solo
Richmond, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2012

Everything said by the others who rated the Otro Lado as excellent is repeated! My congratulations to Baggi and Nico on creating a wonderful respite and being so hospitable.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with friends
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2012

Simply said Otro Lado is an incredible value & experience for the price. We chose Otro Lado because of the consistent positive reviews and we weren't disappointed. Selvaggia "Baggi" & Nico and the entire staff were amazing hosts and always gave great sound advice on options and never hesitated to help us out with any arrangements we chose to make. Everywhere we went, we were always well taken care of when we said Baggi sent us. Their hospitality made our vacation so effortless. Baggi also recommended and has connections to the best masseuses for us. Particularly ask for Nathaniel a licensed therapist if you also like deep tissue massage & mayofascial release technique.

The food was simple but fresh and absolutely delicious. Every morning we'd wander down to breakfast and would ruminate about what we would do that day. The coffee is a must! Of course they are Italian and they know coffee. Don't forget to bring some home from the super market as souvenirs. Try the sweet fresh fruit salad with yogurt and granola. A couple of times we had lunch there and we loved the fresh made pastas and generous size salads. I hear the sandwiches were great too.

The establishment and rooms were sparse but clean, beautiful and well appointed. And the layout of the property is well thought out. You could tell that everything (the estate, plants, pool, etc...) was well cared for by the staff. And we felt completely safe with the guard and staff always around. No sound issues between the rooms and we loved that the hotel was away from the street where there's noise and dust from the road. We surfed every day and rented surfboards from Del Soul Surf Shop right in front of the hotel and got the best surf lessons from Amit the owner of Del Soul. The beach was an easy 5 minute walk down the street.

We had such an amazing time in Santa Teresa and having seen other places we had looked at online that were much more expensive and/or looked better in pictures, in passing by them they didn't impress us at all. Not to mention that Otro Lado is somewhat centrally located and a lot of things you might need are within walking distance. Where as some hotels we noticed were really out of the way and more than just a walk to get to things. To get around locally you can rent bikes or rent ATVs. My husband and I found the ATVs an absolute blast to ride and get around.

Before we left we were already daydreaming of coming back to Santa Teresa and our only thought is to come back to Otro Lado.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple