My friend and I came to Santa Teresa for a surf trip feb 2012. We are both in our late 20's. We booked this place based on the reviews. After driving down the dusty road into town I could only imagine what our place would be like. I was pleasantly surprised!! The lodge is back off of the dusty noisy road and is very clean. Everything is so green compared to the main road. The rooms were nice and maid service was very attentive daily. AC and private baths with hot water. The pool is a must too since it is too hot in the middle of the day to lay on the beach. At night the security guard Rinaldo is there to give you piece of mind. Oh also when the power goes out in the town, Otro Lado was the only place I noticed that had a back up generator to power the flood lights outside your room. Also a good piece of mind.
The owners were great too. They were very helpful in contacting the airline about us bringing surfboards and arranging a taxi for our departure. Everything was very simple there which I loved. The food was great too, fresh fruit with every meal. A restaurant called Kica's was right up the street about a 1 min walk. Nico recommended to order Grandma's Pork from the menu there and he couldn't have been more right on. I'm not a big pork eater but I gave it a try and it was the best pork I ever had. We went back twice that week and ordered the same dinner. Also try their mojitios, yum. About 1 min walk south was Don Jon's which has awesome breakfast burritos. Highly recommend.
The beach is located right across the street about a two minute walk. The beach break here was the best we saw from there down to Mal Pais. We brought our own boards but next time I highly recommend just packing a backpack and renting boards when you get down there. You can rent a board for $10 USD a day and pretty much pick any style. I recommend a fat fish.
Renting a bicycle is a good inexpensive way of getting around but your butt will be sore in two days of riding on the bumpy roads. Rent from the place across from the school/ soccer field. the owner is cool, the bicycles are nicer and cheaper than the place that is closer to Otro Lado. Otherwise try and rent a quad for a few days.
Overall, very clean, comfortable and quiet. It is a little north of most of the hub-bub but i think that is a good thing. The only thing I would recommend would be a mini fridge in each room. We ended up drinking too much because we didn't want our beers to get warm that we brought back from the market. Thank you for having us. Hopefully see you again.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Otro Lado Lodge is a small resort just a few steps from one of the most beautiful beaches in Costa Rica. Situated in a quiet tropical garden with a swimming pool, the lodge is comprised of four separate residences, each with two levels and can accommodate four people comfortably. The restaurant is open air concept with complimentary satellite television plus wireless internet. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Booking.com, Expedia, Travelocity, Tingo, Otel and Venere so you can book your Otro Lado Lodge and Restaurant reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Otro Lado Lodge And Restaurant Hotel Santa Teresa
- Otro Lado Lodge And Restaurant Costa Rica/Santa Teresa