“Wonderful little Inn; great owners” 4 of 5 stars

Otro Lado Lodge and Restaurant
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Santa Teresa, Costa Rica   |
Ranked #9 of 25 Hotels in Santa Teresa
Los Angeles, California
“Wonderful little Inn; great owners”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 12, 2012

We stayed here for just one night in Jan, 2012, but we would have loved to stay longer. the place is tucked away off the main drag in Santa Theresa, a quiet nook. I could not tell from their website how the layout would be, but it is much nicer in person. The owners or managers are an Italian couple who went out of their way to be helpful to us. We were travelling with 2 toddlers and grandparents, so we had the whole spectrum of needs. A great pool, very clean, tremendous value, but the welcoming and helpful owners made the place stand out, hence the review.

Room Tip: we too 2 single rooms: there was ample space and the beds were super cozy. i dont think you can go...
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (27)
South east asia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 7, 2012

My wife and I just returned from Costa Rica a few days ago and had the most amazing time. A big part of that was our stay at Otro Lado in Santa Teresa. We spent four nights at the lodge and enjoyed the quiet, clean and comfortable rooms and the excellent food (the owners are Italian and make the most delicious dishes). The location is also ideal, as the lodge is situated across the street from the best stretch of beach (no rocks, pure sand and excellent waves for surfing) in the Santa Teresa area. I would definitely return to Otro Lado.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
Santorini, Greece
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 5, 2012

We stayed for one month during a two month Santa Teresa holiday and were sad to leave the friendly environment created by Baggi, Niko and Hata.
The retaurant provided us with many fantastic meals which we returned to enjoy many times after our departure from Otro Lado.
I thoroughly recommend Otro Lado lodge to any traveller looking for the complete satisfaction package in their accommodation in Santa Teresa.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
Westhampton Beach, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 5, 2012

Do not hesitate. If your looking to be in Santa Teresa and walking distance to SO MUCH, just book it. You will not find a nicer place for a better price. The owner is hands on and her staff is FABULOUS. Anyone who rates this as average has not seen some of the other places in the area for only a few bucks less. Thank You for taking such good care of me. Bring sandels or flip flops to walk around the property as it is covered in beautiful white stone paths.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled solo
San Antonio, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 2, 2012

After my first trip to Santa Teresa last May, I decided to return for a month's sabbatical. My husband joined me for the first week and again last 5 days.
I am truly grateful to the person who suggested Otro Lado! It is a very special place! The perfect place for quiet reflection and soul-searching!
Located just off the main road and in a very central location in Santa Teresa, most everything is walkable either by way of the beach or the road. They have bikes you can borrow, as well. The grounds are very lush and green and immaculately kept. The pool is beautiful and is perfect for a dip in the hot afternoon. While the villas are close together, the property was well designed as there is a true feeling of privacy with lovely plants and florals all throughout the place. The day beds adjacent to the yoga shala are perfect for an afternoon nap or read or star-gazing at night.
I stayed in villa 4, which couldn't have been more perfect. It was tastefully decorated in a bali-asian design. The kitchenette proved very useful for quick meals and heating up left-overs from the area's fabulous restaurants. It was extremely clean and always had a fresh feel to it. My husband loved the open-air shower downstairs. There is a beautiful spiral staircase made of local wood which leads to the bedroom and bathroom upstairs. The a/c rocked! There is a beautiful balcony just off the bedroom where I spent my mornings drinking coffee, watching the sun rise and watching the birds and animals come to life. The bed is very firm, but quite comfortable, and there are plenty of pillows.
I was able to see inside the 2 bedroom villa as well as a single room, and both were very nice, too. Quite similar in decor and feel to the villas.
The restaurant, which is open for breakfast and lunch, is fabulous. Most mornings I ate yogurt and fresh fruit accompanied with a cappuccino and on the weekends I splurged with a croissant. I ate lunch there nearly every day. The food is simple, clean and delicious! Please do yourself a favor and have the homemade ravioli or gnocci. The panini's and salads are wonderful, too!
The best part of Otro Lado are the owners. Nico and Baggi are a true delight! Their sense of humor and love for life is unmistakable. They speak Italian, Spanish and English and are seasoned travelers. They were extremely helpful and each of their suggestions were spot on, from restaurants to yoga to beaches and cocktails. It felt more like I was a guest in their home than a guest at a hotel. Their casual attitude was never over-bearing and I found our frequent afternoon chats quite refreshing.
The resident animals are fantastic! They have the same sense of humor and love of life as their owners! I opened my door every morning to be greeted by the cats Pitta, Gino or Syrus and enjoyed watching them go about their lives in the Otro Lado oasis. Hatta the dog is the most loving, beautiful animal. She definitely filled in and helped stave off missing my own animals back home.
The staff is all wonderful and always greeted me with a big smile. They truly appeared to love what they do! The night security guard was quite diligent and made the place feel safe and secure in the wee hours of the night.
In response the the previous reviewer's comment about the key: it is extremely difficult and costly to have new keys made in Santa Teresa, therefore they kindly ask that you leave your key at the front. I found it quite convenient and saved me the hassle of keeping up with the key.
A big obnoxious resort you will not find here, but a very chilled, zen atmosphere you will. I think Otro Lado would appeal to many couples, solos and families who prefer a more independent travel experience, away from the crowds and tacky tourists. We most definitely will be back!

• Stayed January 2012, traveled solo
Washington DC, District of Columbia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 29, 2012 via mobile

My first interaction with the owners at Otro Lado was great. I booked for the wrong dates on Hotels.com and they were very helpful in waiving the normal policies and returning my money in full.
The hotel is located in a nice part of Santa Teresa on the mountain side, a short walk from a good beach/surf spot. The room we had was two floors with two small beds on the bottom floor and one queen up top. Big fridge and kitchen area with a sink and hotplate. Two full bathrooms but the shower on the lower floor has no real ceiling and led to some mosquitos gathering in the shower. No T.V or wi-fi in rooms but we got some service on the balcony on the top floor. Rooms were very clean and did have a/c. Pool was nice and clean but oddly, there is nowhere to lay out by the pool, except for a small concrete area maybe 30ft away with just two bed things. Just a small grass mound and sidewalk around the pool.
Given my first experiences with the owners I expected more than was delivered. The first time we left the room to head to the beach on our way out, the owner said we could leave the key at the desk if we would like. My girlfriend said "o that's ok it's already packed in the beach bag" to which the owners wife barked at us with a mouth full of food "no you MUST leave the key!" Other than this they were nice enough but nothing special. The restaurant was about the same. We heard it was soooo good but found it to be pretty average. Bland pasta, boring sandwich, and not very good salad.
Overall it was decent for two nights but not worth the price we paid. I would recommend Manala down the street over Otro Lado just based on rooms alone.

• Stayed January 2012
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 16, 2012 via mobile

After researching a lot of hotels in the Santa Teresa area, we decided on Otro Lado. It was without a doubt the nicest hotel in the area, and the price was so reasonable. The rooms were plain in a modern/zen way, which was actually very refreshing. Each room comes with a balcony area with a sliding glass door. The bathroom was very clean and modern. The hotel itself is about a 5min walk from the beach. The restaurant at the hotel offered cheap and amazing food. The woman that runs the hotel is so nice and helpful, she really made the experience for us. I wouldn't hesitate to book a room at Otro Lado if I came back to the area.

• Stayed January 2012

Been to Otro Lado Lodge and Restaurant? Share your experiences!