“Awesome lodge, food and people.” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Otro Lado Lodge and Restaurant

and 1 more site!
You added Otro Lado Lodge and Restaurant to your Saves list
Otro Lado Lodge and Restaurant
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   200 Mt North of Soccer Field Santa Teresa, Santa Teresa, Costa Rica   |
Ranked #8 of 27 Hotels in Santa Teresa
Santorini, Greece
“Awesome lodge, food and people.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 5, 2012

We stayed for one month during a two month Santa Teresa holiday and were sad to leave the friendly environment created by Baggi, Niko and Hata.
The retaurant provided us with many fantastic meals which we returned to enjoy many times after our departure from Otro Lado.
I thoroughly recommend Otro Lado lodge to any traveller looking for the complete satisfaction package in their accommodation in Santa Teresa.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple

Westhampton Beach, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 5, 2012

Do not hesitate. If your looking to be in Santa Teresa and walking distance to SO MUCH, just book it. You will not find a nicer place for a better price. The owner is hands on and her staff is FABULOUS. Anyone who rates this as average has not seen some of the other places in the area for only a few bucks less. Thank You for taking such good care of me. Bring sandels or flip flops to walk around the property as it is covered in beautiful white stone paths.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled solo
San Antonio, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 2, 2012

After my first trip to Santa Teresa last May, I decided to return for a month's sabbatical. My husband joined me for the first week and again last 5 days.
I am truly grateful to the person who suggested Otro Lado! It is a very special place! The perfect place for quiet reflection and soul-searching!
Located just off the main road and in a very central location in Santa Teresa, most everything is walkable either by way of the beach or the road. They have bikes you can borrow, as well. The grounds are very lush and green and immaculately kept. The pool is beautiful and is perfect for a dip in the hot afternoon. While the villas are close together, the property was well designed as there is a true feeling of privacy with lovely plants and florals all throughout the place. The day beds adjacent to the yoga shala are perfect for an afternoon nap or read or star-gazing at night.
I stayed in villa 4, which couldn't have been more perfect. It was tastefully decorated in a bali-asian design. The kitchenette proved very useful for quick meals and heating up left-overs from the area's fabulous restaurants. It was extremely clean and always had a fresh feel to it. My husband loved the open-air shower downstairs. There is a beautiful spiral staircase made of local wood which leads to the bedroom and bathroom upstairs. The a/c rocked! There is a beautiful balcony just off the bedroom where I spent my mornings drinking coffee, watching the sun rise and watching the birds and animals come to life. The bed is very firm, but quite comfortable, and there are plenty of pillows.
I was able to see inside the 2 bedroom villa as well as a single room, and both were very nice, too. Quite similar in decor and feel to the villas.
The restaurant, which is open for breakfast and lunch, is fabulous. Most mornings I ate yogurt and fresh fruit accompanied with a cappuccino and on the weekends I splurged with a croissant. I ate lunch there nearly every day. The food is simple, clean and delicious! Please do yourself a favor and have the homemade ravioli or gnocci. The panini's and salads are wonderful, too!
The best part of Otro Lado are the owners. Nico and Baggi are a true delight! Their sense of humor and love for life is unmistakable. They speak Italian, Spanish and English and are seasoned travelers. They were extremely helpful and each of their suggestions were spot on, from restaurants to yoga to beaches and cocktails. It felt more like I was a guest in their home than a guest at a hotel. Their casual attitude was never over-bearing and I found our frequent afternoon chats quite refreshing.
The resident animals are fantastic! They have the same sense of humor and love of life as their owners! I opened my door every morning to be greeted by the cats Pitta, Gino or Syrus and enjoyed watching them go about their lives in the Otro Lado oasis. Hatta the dog is the most loving, beautiful animal. She definitely filled in and helped stave off missing my own animals back home.
The staff is all wonderful and always greeted me with a big smile. They truly appeared to love what they do! The night security guard was quite diligent and made the place feel safe and secure in the wee hours of the night.
In response the the previous reviewer's comment about the key: it is extremely difficult and costly to have new keys made in Santa Teresa, therefore they kindly ask that you leave your key at the front. I found it quite convenient and saved me the hassle of keeping up with the key.
A big obnoxious resort you will not find here, but a very chilled, zen atmosphere you will. I think Otro Lado would appeal to many couples, solos and families who prefer a more independent travel experience, away from the crowds and tacky tourists. We most definitely will be back!

• Stayed January 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank Wanderlushed
Washington DC, District of Columbia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 29, 2012

My first interaction with the owners at Otro Lado was great. I booked for the wrong dates on Hotels.com and they were very helpful in waiving the normal policies and returning my money in full.
The hotel is located in a nice part of Santa Teresa on the mountain side, a short walk from a good beach/surf spot. The room we had was two floors with two small beds on the bottom floor and one queen up top. Big fridge and kitchen area with a sink and hotplate. Two full bathrooms but the shower on the lower floor has no real ceiling and led to some mosquitos gathering in the shower. No T.V or wi-fi in rooms but we got some service on the balcony on the top floor. Rooms were very clean and did have a/c. Pool was nice and clean but oddly, there is nowhere to lay out by the pool, except for a small concrete area maybe 30ft away with just two bed things. Just a small grass mound and sidewalk around the pool.
Given my first experiences with the owners I expected more than was delivered. The first time we left the room to head to the beach on our way out, the owner said we could leave the key at the desk if we would like. My girlfriend said "o that's ok it's already packed in the beach bag" to which the owners wife barked at us with a mouth full of food "no you MUST leave the key!" Other than this they were nice enough but nothing special. The restaurant was about the same. We heard it was soooo good but found it to be pretty average. Bland pasta, boring sandwich, and not very good salad.
Overall it was decent for two nights but not worth the price we paid. I would recommend Manala down the street over Otro Lado just based on rooms alone.

• Stayed January 2012
2 Thank Ajstah
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 16, 2012

After researching a lot of hotels in the Santa Teresa area, we decided on Otro Lado. It was without a doubt the nicest hotel in the area, and the price was so reasonable. The rooms were plain in a modern/zen way, which was actually very refreshing. Each room comes with a balcony area with a sliding glass door. The bathroom was very clean and modern. The hotel itself is about a 5min walk from the beach. The restaurant at the hotel offered cheap and amazing food. The woman that runs the hotel is so nice and helpful, she really made the experience for us. I wouldn't hesitate to book a room at Otro Lado if I came back to the area.

• Stayed January 2012
1 Thank Hugh W
Munich, Germany
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2012

We enjoyed our three-days stay at the beautiful Otro Lado Lodge a lot! The atmosphere was very chilled and the Italian owners Nico and Baggi were so nice and helpful. Our upstair room with a balcony was stylishly lean, clean and quiet - we especially liked the fancy decor in the bathroom. The hotel offers all comfort you need, including a well-kept garden, a pool, a spot to practice yoga, wi-fi, mosquito screens, air-con, a safe, and even a security guard at night.
The place is located only a 3 minute walk from the nice beach with high waves, perfect for advanced surfers. The small town Santa Teresa does not have a real city center since all restaurants and surf shops are located along a road. Our favorite spot was the Argentinian restaurant called Kika which offered great mojitos.
Thanks a lot for your prompt assistance in providing all of our holiday pictures after loosing my memory stick in your romm!

We wish you all the best for 2012!!!

• Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
Boston, MA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2012

My family spent a week at Otro Lado from Christmas to New Year's Eve, 2011. We rented the 2-bedroom apartment (located over the yoga shala) and 2 rooms.

Overall, Otro Lado is a great place--serene, simple well designed, and comfortable. They use a lot of tropical hardwoods and bamboo in the structure, and the overall feel is modern and clean. If I return to ST, I will definitely stay here again.

Having visited Santa Teresa several years ago, I was very concerned about proximity to the beach and to the main road. Santa Teresa has only one main road and it is not paved; anything near the road is very dusty. Traveling on the road is also very dusty, so I wanted a short walk to the beach. Otro Lado is set back from the road so it gets very little dust and noise, but also a short (less than 5 min. walk) to the beach. And the beach is gorgeous!

I think Otro Lado is not a good place for boisterous groups: The buildings are fairly close together so a loud group ruins the R&R vibe for other guests. We noticed little noise transfer between rooms; the place seems well built.

The restaurant is good--simple salads, sandwiches and pasta.

The staff are friendly and helpful.

Note that although Otro Lado has a space for yoga that guests are welcome to use, they do not have regularly scheduled yoga classes. I arrived expecting to take classes on site, but then had to travel 10 minutes (by bike up the dusty road) to Flor Blanca for a class.

Security--the rooms all have safes, there is a security guard on duty at night and multiple staff members on site all day long. In any case, we had no security concerns during our stay.

I have a few criticisms:
1) the bathrooms have a sewer gas smell that was fairly strong at times. I'm not sure if this is a function of the sensitive sewer/septic systems in the area generally, or a plumbing issue specific to Otro Lado. In any case, we had to open windows and run the fan/AC to deal with the odor. It was by no means unbearable, but strange and possibly a health concern.

2) Bikes. Otro Lado has 2-3 bikes available for guest's use. They are very basic (no gears, pedal brakes), but that is fine if you are just going on the main road and makes sense given the possibility of loss/theft with loaner bikes. The only problem is that 2 of the 3 bikes had flat tires during our stay; we aired up one bikes tires but it didn't hold air very well. Otro Lado has no tire pump onsite so guests have to wheel bikes down the road to get the tires aired up. The lodge really should have a) tire pump and b) a reservation system for the bikes. If you want to use a bike to get to your yoga class, you want to be sure a bike is available at that time.

3) pot. Several guests were smoking pot openly in common areas during our stay. the smoke itself wasn't an issue (not sure what their smoking policy is, come to think of it), but it was kinda strange to see open drug use in hotel with families staying there. That said, we saw a lot of pot smoking out in the open in town and on the beach, so it is fairly normal for the area.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with family