We stayed with Lucero Surf Retreats for a week and had one of the most memorable stays we've ever had! The grounds and rooms at the hotel, Otro Lado, are beautiful and immaculate, and the owners make you feel right at home straight from the start. There's a lovely restaurant serving up delicious Italian fare (the hotel owners are Italian, so you know it's good), a relaxing pool, hammocks across the hotel grounds, and a great community- but private- feel to it. Otro Lado understands that it's all in the details, and they do a great job at it.
We did the morning yoga and it was a fantastic way to start our day. Francesca was a super knowledgable yoga teacher. Even after practicing for a couple of years, my husband and I were able to take our practice even further with her guidance. If I could take Francesca home with me as my personal yoga instructor, then she would be mine in a heartbeat. The classes were customized to our personal fitness level and style. The outdoor yoga patio was serene and relaxing, and we especially enjoyed our one evening of candlelit yoga. We originally only signed up for four yoga classes, but we loved Francesca so much that we added an extra class with her at the last minute :)
The surf lessons were new to me. My husband is an awesome surfer, but I have always been a bit hesitant. Luckily, Mark (the instructor) was so much fun! He was very supportive even when I kept falling time and time again. He is lots of fun to hang out with and made me feel very relaxed in the water. I happened to see other surf instructors who looked discouraged and were even yelling at their students. I would trust Mark with my life! Mark also listened to my objective. He knew I was there just to have a good time, and he made sure that happened. And, believe it or not, I was actually 'surfing' in white water by the end of it. The professional surfing photos were a nice touch, and though admittedly there are a lot of me bellyflopping in the water since that's primarily what I did, my husband got some really nice shots of him actually surfing.
The week ended with an amazing massage. I have had a lot of massages, which means at this point I am pretty picky. But my massage with Lucero was easily one of the best bodywork sessions I've ever had. Nathan quickly picked up where I carry stress and wasting no time in sorting it out. If you prefer a more 'relaxing' massage, those are also available, but I recommend going for the bodywork.
Overall, the best part about Lucero is it's really all about what you want. This retreat was perfect as my husband is a surfer and I practice yoga regularly. They go above and beyond to customize your week so you do (or don't do) exactly what you want. We've been in Costa Rica for 2 months and this was by far our favorite experience. I can't wait to go back! Thanks Lucero :)
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- As a guest of Lucero Surf Retreats you will be staying at an exclusive beautiful-resort, only 25 meters from the ocean. With luxurious little villas that can accommodate up to four guests. Surrounded by a tropical lush garden, a pool to cool off in and a small restaurant. In the morning the nice wooden floor of the restaurant turns into a private yoga studio! Weekly packages include daily surf-lessons, breakfast-lunch, morning yoga, transfer to Tambor airport, surf-manuals and personal surf pictures, day-trips and a one hour massage! ... more less
- Also Known As:
- Lucero Surf Retreats Hotel Santa Teresa
- Lucero Surf Retreats Nicoya
- Lucero Surf Retreats Costa Rica/Santa Teresa