“Lucero Surf Trip December 2012, CR” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Lucero Surf Retreats

We can't find prices for this hotel
Lucero Surf Retreats
You added Lucero Surf Retreats to your Saves list
Santa Teresa, Costa Rica   |
Ranked #13 of 27 Hotels in Santa Teresa
New York City, New York
“Lucero Surf Trip December 2012, CR”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 30, 2012

Amazing trip, gorgeous location! The surf-yoga package was a fantastic value. Our experience with Lucero was excellent. Everyone we dealt with including the hotel owners, yoga & surf instructors & the on site Lucero coordinator was committed to making our stay a memorable one and they were wonderful people as well. In short, a great, fun time. Will definitely book future trips with the Lucero team!!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends

Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 25, 2012

This surf and yoga retreat was an amazing experience and I had a great time. From the start of planning this trip, Marieke was super helpful and responded to all our questions and emails with a prompt response and helpful information. This helped tremendously as this was the first time I planned a vacation that was not a simple all inclusive package. We flew into San Jose and took Nature Air to Tambour and took a 40min cab ride into Santa Theresa. They even had arranged to have a taxi waiting there for us. Otro Lado is an absolute hidden gem in the middle of a small surf town. Baggi and Nico were super helpful and friendly. The food at the hotel and everywhere we went was to die for, so fresh and made with love. The hotel rooms were great, each with its own unique style. When we arrived we were met by Courtney and Ryan who were our go to people for the week. They were amazing, super helpful and accommodating. They know the in's and out's of the area and provided us with a lot of info on where to eat, places to see, ect. They made our week even more amazing and worry free. Every morning we had yoga with Francesca who is a fantastic yoga instructor and will push who to your ultimate potential. Our surf instructor Marc was awesome. Right from the start you can tell the love and passion he has for surfing and it translates into the lessons. Having never surfed before, it was a breeze with Marc's technical knowledge and ability to effectively communicate. We also went stand-up paddle boarding with Andy and his wife which was super fun and a great work out.
All in all this trip was perfect, I had such a wonderful time that I can not wait to get back there!! I only wish I had stayed longer and perhaps had slightly stronger SPF!

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank Renz25
montr��al
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 22, 2012

Extremely nice vacations. I LOVED it. Everybody was super nice to me and sooo helpful Marc, the surf instructor, was the best teacher! Great explanations, making me feel comfortable in any situation, really available, and soooo nice. And Baggi and Nico, the hotel owners, were perfect hosts.I hope I can come back soon.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled solo
    • 3 of 5 stars
Sámara, Guanacaste, Costa Rica
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 3, 2012

Lucero was a perfect choice for a retreat! The owners are friendly, warm and very helpful. The experience was wonderful, the lodging, surf lessons and yoga were perfect! I could not have chosen a better retreat. I recommend them highly to friends and family!

• Stayed April 2011, traveled solo
Denver, Colorado
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2012

What an amazing experience!!
First off .... Santa Theresa is the hidden gem of Costa Rica. From white sand beaches, amazing surf, and most importantly wonderful locals.

My fiance and I went down for a week ... and wish we could have stayed a lifetime. Lucero arranged wonderul lodging steps away from the beach. Try the amazing homemade Italian food served by the owners. Incredible. Yoga class in the morning and surf in the afternoon. Does it get any better!?!? Our instructors were top notch and catered to all levels. I highly recommend renting 4-wheelers and checking out the other small towns nearby.

I can't say enough good things about Lucero. Go .... Enjoy ... and thank me later.

Room Tip: It's a relatively small place .... and all the rooms are great!! If you have 4 people, request...
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled with friends
Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 14, 2011

So I researched so many places to learn how to surf. I stumbled upon this place on TripAdvisor and couldn't have been happier with my Choice. Marieke and Jared (the couple that own the surf camp) are the most inviting people I have met. I was a female solo traveller that has only gone as far as tourist Acapulco Mexico on a resort, so going to this small surf town by myself was a little scary. Once I got into town I was quick to learn that allot of people there are from North America or Europe and definitely not scary at all. Everyone at Otro Lado (the hotel Lucero Surf camp partners with) made me feel welcome, and the food there is just amazing, you feel as if you are in a tropical oasis.

Lucero made everything super easy, down to calling cabs and arranging my excursions while i was there. My surf lessons were super fun, Jared is an awesome teacher and amazing at catering to everyones skill level. Marieke was on the ball with details, she made the reservation process and "getting ready" process super easy. She was great with replying to my emails quickly and answering all my questions. They never made me feel like I was traveling alone. The hotel is beautiful and situated close enough to be part of the action but far enough to be a nice quite place to have a coffee, take a dip or read a book.

There are a few ways to get there:
1- Fly to a major city in Costa Rica (I flew to SJO but i think you can also do Liberia) and then take a tiny plane to Tambor and then Taxi.
2 - Fly in and then there is a 6hour bus ride which is cheaper then the small plane
3 - Fly in and rent a car drive down

My only advice is that if you are like me and love to explore and do allot of excursions and activities is to rent a car and drive down from the airport so that you have a vehicle while you are there. It's not needed if you just want to hang in the town. I did rent ATV's which are cheap and fun but with everything added into the equation (taxi+plane ect) I think you'd be better off with a small 4x4. If you don't have the itch to go outside of the town and just want to sit and hang then there is no need for a vehicle there are plenty of Taxis out there.

All in all i couldn't recommend a better place or people to learn how to surf with. This was a trip truly worth it!

Room Tip: Every room at Otro Lado has AC and a fan, they have both standard rooms with a king bed that can be...
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled solo
2 Thank littleskim
Minneapolis, Minnesota
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2011

My mother (50) and I (22) decided to go to Costa Rica for a girls' adventure trip after I graduated from college. We booked with Lucero for their Surf & Adventure Retreat and got exactly that. All our transportation and day-trips were arranged for us which was ultra-convenient. Desafio, the adventure company used, was excellent, fun, and dedicated to our experience. We had a blast rafting, ziplining, and repelling. When my mom slipped during the hiking portion of the repelling trip, they did everything possible to help her out including driving her to the paramedicos for a free check.

My mother had had enough adventure by that time which was perfect because now we headed for Santa Teresa, the sun, the beach, and the ocean. She had declined the surf lessons before we went on the trip but fully participated in Francesca's great yoga sessions. When we found out a massage wasn't included in our particular trip, she was a little disappointed but Marieke arranged for her to get her massage (free i think) anyways. That's great service! The staff of Lucero and of the hotel, Otro Lado, went out of their way to make you feel like you were part of their group of friends. There was really a community feel and we only wish we could have stayed longer as we were just getting to know our fellow guests.

I took the surf lessons with two other women on the retreat. We had Patrick as our instructor and he made our two hour daily sessions exhausting, informative, and really fun. By the second day we were all catching a majority of the little waves we paddled for. Watch out for the current and the rocks~ I had a blast despite a couple of scrapes and bruises. Again, I only wish I could have stayed longer.

Santa Teresa is a great town full of great dining and boutique-y shopping options. Don't expect any souvenirs and maybe bring a handkerchief to cover your mouth and nose as the ATVs, trucks, and dirtbikes kick up a lot of dust. It's pedestrian friendly for the most part and we had no issues walking everywhere even after dark. Make sure to get to the beach for the sunset!!!

Otro Lado was comfortable, clean, and peaceful (don't except late night parties, everyone's usually in bed by 10pm or sitting on their little balconies reading). We didn't miss our TVs or computers in the least bit and you probably won't either--just bring a good book and don't be afraid to talk to your neighbors!

Lucero arranged everything conveniently and with great customer service. Marieke was quick to answer our questions and offer assistance--which is tremendous considering she was about to burst with baby!

• Stayed January 2011