“Amazing Surf & Yoga Retreat” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Lucero Surf Retreats

We can't find prices for this hotel
Lucero Surf Retreats
Save Saved
You added Lucero Surf Retreats to your Saves list
| Santa Theresa, Santa Teresa, Costa Rica   |
Ranked #18 of 25 Hotels in Santa Teresa
Denver, Colorado
“Amazing Surf & Yoga Retreat”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2012

What an amazing experience!!
First off .... Santa Theresa is the hidden gem of Costa Rica. From white sand beaches, amazing surf, and most importantly wonderful locals.

My fiance and I went down for a week ... and wish we could have stayed a lifetime. Lucero arranged wonderul lodging steps away from the beach. Try the amazing homemade Italian food served by the owners. Incredible. Yoga class in the morning and surf in the afternoon. Does it get any better!?!? Our instructors were top notch and catered to all levels. I highly recommend renting 4-wheelers and checking out the other small towns nearby.

I can't say enough good things about Lucero. Go .... Enjoy ... and thank me later.

Room Tip: It's a relatively small place .... and all the rooms are great!! If you have 4 people, request...
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled with friends

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 14, 2011

So I researched so many places to learn how to surf. I stumbled upon this place on TripAdvisor and couldn't have been happier with my Choice. Marieke and Jared (the couple that own the surf camp) are the most inviting people I have met. I was a female solo traveller that has only gone as far as tourist Acapulco Mexico on a resort, so going to this small surf town by myself was a little scary. Once I got into town I was quick to learn that allot of people there are from North America or Europe and definitely not scary at all. Everyone at Otro Lado (the hotel Lucero Surf camp partners with) made me feel welcome, and the food there is just amazing, you feel as if you are in a tropical oasis.

Lucero made everything super easy, down to calling cabs and arranging my excursions while i was there. My surf lessons were super fun, Jared is an awesome teacher and amazing at catering to everyones skill level. Marieke was on the ball with details, she made the reservation process and "getting ready" process super easy. She was great with replying to my emails quickly and answering all my questions. They never made me feel like I was traveling alone. The hotel is beautiful and situated close enough to be part of the action but far enough to be a nice quite place to have a coffee, take a dip or read a book.

There are a few ways to get there:
1- Fly to a major city in Costa Rica (I flew to SJO but i think you can also do Liberia) and then take a tiny plane to Tambor and then Taxi.
2 - Fly in and then there is a 6hour bus ride which is cheaper then the small plane
3 - Fly in and rent a car drive down

My only advice is that if you are like me and love to explore and do allot of excursions and activities is to rent a car and drive down from the airport so that you have a vehicle while you are there. It's not needed if you just want to hang in the town. I did rent ATV's which are cheap and fun but with everything added into the equation (taxi+plane ect) I think you'd be better off with a small 4x4. If you don't have the itch to go outside of the town and just want to sit and hang then there is no need for a vehicle there are plenty of Taxis out there.

All in all i couldn't recommend a better place or people to learn how to surf with. This was a trip truly worth it!

Room Tip: Every room at Otro Lado has AC and a fan, they have both standard rooms with a king bed that can be...
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled solo
Minneapolis, Minnesota
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2011

My mother (50) and I (22) decided to go to Costa Rica for a girls' adventure trip after I graduated from college. We booked with Lucero for their Surf & Adventure Retreat and got exactly that. All our transportation and day-trips were arranged for us which was ultra-convenient. Desafio, the adventure company used, was excellent, fun, and dedicated to our experience. We had a blast rafting, ziplining, and repelling. When my mom slipped during the hiking portion of the repelling trip, they did everything possible to help her out including driving her to the paramedicos for a free check.

My mother had had enough adventure by that time which was perfect because now we headed for Santa Teresa, the sun, the beach, and the ocean. She had declined the surf lessons before we went on the trip but fully participated in Francesca's great yoga sessions. When we found out a massage wasn't included in our particular trip, she was a little disappointed but Marieke arranged for her to get her massage (free i think) anyways. That's great service! The staff of Lucero and of the hotel, Otro Lado, went out of their way to make you feel like you were part of their group of friends. There was really a community feel and we only wish we could have stayed longer as we were just getting to know our fellow guests.

I took the surf lessons with two other women on the retreat. We had Patrick as our instructor and he made our two hour daily sessions exhausting, informative, and really fun. By the second day we were all catching a majority of the little waves we paddled for. Watch out for the current and the rocks~ I had a blast despite a couple of scrapes and bruises. Again, I only wish I could have stayed longer.

Santa Teresa is a great town full of great dining and boutique-y shopping options. Don't expect any souvenirs and maybe bring a handkerchief to cover your mouth and nose as the ATVs, trucks, and dirtbikes kick up a lot of dust. It's pedestrian friendly for the most part and we had no issues walking everywhere even after dark. Make sure to get to the beach for the sunset!!!

Otro Lado was comfortable, clean, and peaceful (don't except late night parties, everyone's usually in bed by 10pm or sitting on their little balconies reading). We didn't miss our TVs or computers in the least bit and you probably won't either--just bring a good book and don't be afraid to talk to your neighbors!

Lucero arranged everything conveniently and with great customer service. Marieke was quick to answer our questions and offer assistance--which is tremendous considering she was about to burst with baby!

• Stayed January 2011
Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 17, 2011

When travelling to Costa Rica the first thing that comes to my mind is surfing! Out of 100's of surf schools and camps in Santa Teresa we were so HAPPY that we picked Lucero Surf Retreats.

Marieke, the owner of Lucero, was attentive and detailed oriented from the day I emailed her my request and questions. Once in Playa Santa Teresa she welcomed us with a huge smile and itinerary for the week. She had even made reservations for us for our Welcome Dinner at Brisas Del Mar (one the best restaurants in S. Teresa). The huge benefit of booking with Lucero is that you get to stay at the Otro Lado Lodge (please read my super positive review of Otro Lado) .

I had such an amazing surfing experience with Lucero as they delivered everything promised in their package. I never once had to ask or question...it was just done and delivered! The yoga sessions were incredible and in the most beautiful setting!

We had surf boards for the week and Jared our Jersey surf instructor was super positive, knowledgeable and really fun to be around! We also surfed at Playa Hermosa for a couple of days and at the end of it all Marieke gave us a CD with all our surfing pics! Jared also took us on a day trip to Montezuma Falls! A must see and do!

And our massages were heavenly! A much needed one hour session after doing yoga and surfing all week!

If you are looking for a surf camp or lessons I wouldn't look any further! You can beat the price, quality of service and deliverables + Marieke and Jared are super nice people who would do anything to make your stay and experience PERFECT! It was truly a highlight of my trip to Costa Rica!

• Stayed December 2010, traveled as a couple
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 6, 2010

We are a family of four from Wisconsin. Our son is 7 and our daughter is 4. Last year we went for 2 weeks to Santa Teresa through Lucero Surf Retreat. We were quite nervous about going somewhere so far from home...we had the best vacation ever! The Lucero owners, Marieke and Jared, took care of everything and we didn't have a worry once we stepped off the little plane in Tambor.

My husband wanted to learn to surf and did. My son was 5 1/2 and also learned to surf. I was afraid of learning to surf, & not only learned, but loved it!

We returned this year in June and July for a 5 week vacation through Lucero again. Marieke took fabulous care of us yet again, & Jared has to be the best surf instructor around. So fabulous with our children. He even got our daughter to surf, though she was frightened. We plan to go again, as Santa Teresa is beautiful and we now consider Marieke and Jared part of the family.

If you are interested in learning to surf (or improving), use Lucero. If you have children who have an interest in surfing, use Lucero. You won't regret it.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family
San Francisco, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 22, 2010

Basically, I'd agree with the other reviews. The ambiance and surf of Santa Teresa is amazing and the hosts at Lucero / Otro Lado are awesome and accommodating. We went for our honeymoon, and literally, it was almost perfect....for the reasons stated in the other reviews.

That said, there are just a few things that guests should know -- or at least that I would have liked to known, beforehand.

1) While the rooms are spacious and clean, they do not have TV's or radios. Just remember to bring a laptop / dvd player and / or an iPod with portable speakers if you're the type (like myself) that likes a little music while hanging out poolside and maybe a movie at the end of the day.

2) Rent quads / 4 wheelers. Just put that in your budget now. We paid $150 for a 3 day rental. Granted, you can walk to the beach and a few restaurants, but quads open up the entire experience in Costa Rica. The shortcut to Cabo Blanco is so much fun on a quad! Otherwise, the beat up roads make for hellacious rides in the dusty cabs.

3) Do NOT go to the beach without a towel and bug spray. After each surf lesson I would flop on the beach, happily exhausted. Little did I know I was getting eaten alive by sand fleas. The bites didn't show up for a few days, but by the time I left my legs looked disgusting and itched like crazy. Easily 50 bites total! The fleas only pop up if disturbed, so a towel usually does the trick, from what I read online. Not Lucero's fault at all, lol -- just some friendly advice.

4) If you do the Montezuma and Cabo Blanco hikes (which I totally recommend), be sure to wear sneakers or hiking shoes. My wife wore flip flops the first day and it was a mess. These are amazing hikes, but not easy ones, so just be prepared.

Now get on out to Santa Teresa and have a once in a lifetime trip!

• Stayed November 2010, traveled as a couple
Boulder, Colorado
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2010

Amazing doesn't begin to describe my experience with Lucero. I went for a girls getaway with my best friend and we couldn't have planned a more incredible trip. It was my first time in Costa Rica and my first time surfing and I loved every minute of it. As soon as we landed in Tambor the realities of the "real world" melted away and relaxation time began! The surfing was amazing and our instructor was wonderful. Yoga on the beach was such a perfect experience that any other yoga studio just won't cut it for me now. I was exhausted most days but in the best kind of way. I felt like I got the absolute most out of every day!

The accommodations at Orto Lado were beautiful - simple and peaceful - and I loved the open-air shower! Lounging by the pool surrounded by the tropical landscaping and making friends with the kitties The meals there were so delicious and full of fresh, quality ingredients (I've never tasted coffee that delicious before!). Vaggi & Nico were wonderful hosts and took care of everything we needed.

I highly recommend Lucero to anyone thinking about visiting Costa Rica or going on a surf adventure. I can't wait to vacation with them again!!

• Stayed June 2010, traveled with friends

Been to Lucero Surf Retreats? Share your experiences!