“Great hotel, location & owner!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Buenos Aires

We can't find prices for this hotel
Hotel Buenos Aires
Save Saved
You added Hotel Buenos Aires to your Saves list
Playa Carmen, Santa Teresa, Costa Rica   |
Offers & Announcements
$45 (USD)
Ranked #3 of 25 hotels in Santa Teresa
Long Beach, California
“Great hotel, location & owner!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 17, 2013

My partner and I stayed at Hotel Buenos Aires for 4 nights in mid-March. Prior to arriving, the owner Javier was very helpful in answering my questions and assisting with the reservation. The hotel is located at the top of a very steep hill which posed a bit of a problem for me since I broke my foot a few days before the trip. However thanks to Javier, it all worked out - he arranged to meet us at the bus stop in Santa Teresa and drove us up to the hotel on his quad. He then also helped us make arrangements to rent a quad for the duration of our trip. While the hotel is situated on a very steep hill, the climb is worth it - the view is amazing and it's one of the most beautiful sunsets that I've ever seen!
As for the hotel itself - the rooms are modest and minimal but very clean. We stayed in a first floor room which did not have air conditioning, but the room had a fan and there was a breeze, so AC wasn't necessary. (I believe the 2nd floor rooms all have air conditioning). Each room has a small mini-fridge that guests could put their own drinks/food in, but there's also soda/beer/water in it that could be purchased for $1. Outside of each room, there's a hammock and a table & chairs. All of the (8?) hotel rooms were full when we were there, however it never felt crowded on the hotel grounds or at the pool. In the "front yard" of the hotel, there are lawn chairs overlooking the ocean - one of the highlights of the trip for me was sitting here reading a book or watching the sunset. It was unbelievably peaceful & relaxing!
There is a nice pool located just down the hill from the hotel. It's located at the restaurant, but is only for the use of hotel guests. There is a view of the ocean from the pool and the pool itself was always very clean (Javier cleaned it daily). I'd also recommend having dinner at the restaurant - the food was absolutely amazing! The nearest beach access point is located just down the hill, only a few minutes away by quad.
Overall I loved the hotel. Javier was a great host & made the experience even more enjoyable for us. I would definitely stay here again if I returned to Santa Teresa and I would highly recommend it to anyone else!

Room Tip: If you want to save a few dollars, stay in a first floor room. They don't have air conditioning...

137 people have reviewed this hotel

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (28)
New Orleans, Louisiana
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 16, 2013

Hands down the best view in the Santa Teresa area.
Unbelievably reasonable room rates, and the manager Javi is extremely courteous. Cold beers in the fridge when you arrive, and restocked every day when the room is cleaned. Hot showers, and air conditioning make the stay very comfortable.
Walk down the hill for 5 minutes and you have miles of beach and beautiful waves to surf.
I will definitely stay at this hotel the next time I am in Santa Teresa.

Laval, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 14, 2013

We choose this hotel after reading all the great comments so our expectations were very high! Well.... It was so much more than what we expected! This place is amazing and so beautiful. To make it simple, this is a list of 6 reasons why we liked it so much:

1. Javi, This guy is so much more than the owner, he become a friend during our stay. He is always happy to help us, answer our questions, book activities for us and give good advices. He even went surfing 2-3 mornings with my boyfriend and chilled with us in the evening. Flo, his wife, is also a sweetheart, she is so kind!

2. The view. AMAZING! You can't get tired of this view, the sunsets are the most beautiful i've seen in my life. We enjoyed relaxing in the chairs at night, watching the Sunset with a cold drinks... PURA VIDA!

3. Surf. Great surf spot, just in front of the hotel! For beginners, playa hermosa is just a 15 min car drive and is perfect to learn.

4. The restaurant. The best in town! This is where we had the best meal of all our stay.

5. The rooms. Always so clean, fresh drinks in the fridge every day.

6. The location. Perfect! 5 min walk down to the beach, markets, restaurants, surf shops and bars, but so quiet and peacefull because it's on a hill.

I definitively recommend this hotel! We will be back for sure!!! Yavi and Flo, thanks for everything and see you soon!

Marie and Andy

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
buenosaireshotel, Propietario at Hotel Buenos Aires, responded to this review, May 4, 2013
Hi Marie-Audrey.
First, l want to thank you for take some of your time and write this review, it's awesome!
Also l want to thank you and Andy for share your vacarions with us, it was a pleasure have you here. And tell Andy it was great share a few waves with him.
All the best!!!
Hilliard, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 12, 2013

Unfortunately, we only stayed one night. Javier is a true gentleman and a gracious host. I challenge anyone to find a better view of the ocean. Like previous reviewers, it was a great to find a cold adult beverage in the room after a full day of travel. We would definitely stay there again.

Seattle, Washington
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2013

Hotel Buenos Aires is a wonderful hotel and gets an A+++ in my book! Javier and Flo (the owners) are simply fantastic--helpful, kind, and excellent hosts. The hotel is spotlessly clean. I mean, spotless! The rooms are spacious and comfortable and the water is hot (although during high season you rarely need a hot shower). We stayed for 6 nights in a fan-room and were comfortable the entire time. The pool is well-kept and peaceful and the restaurant next to the pool is fabulous! The view from the hotel is fantastic and it's wonderful to relax at the end of the day in a hammock or chair admiring the sunset. Quite a steep 5-8 minute walk up the hill from town and the beach, but well worth it. I will stay here again and will recommend it to my friends. Thanks Javier and Flo!

Hi Britt.
l just saw your review and looks fantastic! Thank you so much for share your vacations with us and take time to write the review.
Please send a big hug to Cam from us and hope to see you around again.
Love from Mal Pais.
Stockholm, Sweden
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 3, 2013

This place is amazing!

If you, like me and my girlfriend like to stay at a hotel that is clean and a family atmosphere, THIS IS IT!

The owners Javier and Flo (I hope its the correct spelling) are sooo nice and very helpful, with you comfort as their priority.

And it all comes together with the best view Playa Carmen, Santa Teresa can offer! Since it is located on top oc a hill, it is a bit of a climb, but its worth it + you get your daily exercise :)

We are absolutely coming back to this place!

Our warmest recommendation!

/Daniel & Johanna (the Swedes)

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
buenosaireshotel, Propietario at Hotel Buenos Aires, responded to this review, April 5, 2013
Hi Daniel.
l remember you and Johanna, you guys were here from Dec. 28th. to Jan 10th. True soulsurfers!!! Thank you very much for take some of your time and write this review for our place. Hope you can come back some day so we can share a few more beers at sunset, haha!
Wish you all the best, my friend!
Big hug from Mal Pais.
Smyrna, GA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2013

…you need a hotel with a laid back, intimate vibe;
…you like your sunsets perfect;
…you prefer a small hotel where it’s easy to get to meet and know people;
…you prefer personal and attentive (not gushing) service from the hotel owners, who know and call everyone by name;
…you want the best value;

All of this can be had at the Hotel Buenos Aires, high atop the Santa Teresa hills above Playa Carmen.

The girl and I stayed with Javi and Flo from March 20 – 26, 2013. The booking communication with Javier was easily done through e-mail and was always prompt. We elected for a top floor room with A/C, which for the price is one of the better values in CR in my experience. I can’t confirm, but I believe the bottom floor rooms (non A/C) are only $40 nightly with all taxes/fees included.

Prior to our arrival, we discovered the Tambor airport was shut down for repairs and flights were being diverted to an airstrip further away. Javi advised me through e-mail and let me know what to expect for the additional bus transfer from Dos Marias to Tambor, and adjusted the taxi schedule for late arrival. We booked our transfer from Tambor to ST through Hotel Buenos Aires for a reasonable price.

As stated above, there are many things to really love about this hotel. The general atmosphere of the hotel and the understated vibe is what really impressed us. There are seating areas outside of each room, with a small table and chair. Because the balcony and ground floor patios are not private, this gives a lot of opportunity for interaction with other guests and Javi and Flo, but privacy was respected by all, especially during and after lunch “siesta”. Towards the end of each day, most of the guests were coming back from their various excursions/adventures in Santa Teresa and elsewhere to share the best sunsets in ST. Rooms are spotlessly clean, and ownership does a great job of keeping the general common areas and garden areas clean and manicured as well.

I want describe a few (possible) negatives as well:

The walk up the hill that has been described previously is no joke. From the main road there is an asphalt portion and then a gravel portion of road up to Horizon. From there a steep “pathway” leads from just above Horizon to the pool, and then an additional “pathway” leads from the pool to the hotel. If you are driving (4 x 4 only I think), this is not an issue. If you are either unwilling or unable to manage either the road or path on foot, this could be the difference in an enjoyable or unfavorable experience at this hotel. The girl (3 months pregnant) did “ok” on this, and it didn’t bother me, but we are both youngish, very fit people. I would not recommend walking this if you have mobility issues. She didn’t care for the walk from the main street and the pathways, although it didn’t bother me too much. I think in hindsight she was glad for the strenuous exercise.

The mattresses on the bed are quite firm, which really worked for me but I heard from others they didn’t find it comfortable.

As shown on the website and in guest photos, there is a pool that is available exclusively for HBA guests. The pool is also used by the owner of Brisas del Mar Restaurant and their children, which was not a problem for us, but might be off-putting if you are expecting an adults-only pool.

Typical to this type of building in Costa Rica, the walls and floors are not well-insulated so there may be sound transfer coming from adjoining rooms (or from above if you are in a bottom floor). This is standard fare in my many Costa Rica experiences, so not really a negative – more an FYI.

TIPS:

If you are coming with children, you’ll do better with a bottom floor room. The balcony on the top floor room doesn’t have standard railing and could be dangerous for unsupervised children.

There was a mini-fridge in our room that was a very welcome addition. I suspect this is the same for all rooms, but you might check with Javier when booking if you desire a mini-fridge.

Horizon Yoga is just down the hill from HBA, halfway to the main street. The girl really enjoyed her yoga class there and found it to be a good value.

During our stay there was a good mix of couples, singles, a family, young folks and mature adults. We had a melting pot of Americans (New York, Georgia) Germans, Swiss, Argentines, K-9s (a Luna shout-out), and others. Great sunsets, the best hosts, great value, in a comfortable setting, with a perfect view, and a few possible negatives dependent on your expectations/desires.

We would stay here again when back in Santa Teresa.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
buenosaireshotel, Propietario at Hotel Buenos Aires, responded to this review, April 3, 2013
Wow Scott, you really take serioulsly your "job" on Tripadvisor, jajaa!
First, l want to thank you and Liz for share your vacations with us it was a plasure meeting you guys.
Couple of things: all the rooms has a mini-fridge, and we are aware about our first floor and because of that, we do not rent the a/c rooms if there are small kids. Also remember then we still own the restaurant, we just rent it, having control of a few things there.
Thank you also for take your time and write this awesome review for us, hope we can share a few beers next time you are around.
Wish you all the best with the coming baby.
Big hug from Mal Pais.
Javi.

Been to Hotel Buenos Aires? Share your experiences!