“Super nice staff!” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Sol Papagayo-Nakuti Resort

You added Sol Papagayo-Nakuti Resort to your Saves list
Sol Papagayo-Nakuti Resort
3.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Playa Panama, Playa Panama, Costa Rica   |
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Playa Panama
New York
“Super nice staff!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 15, 2014

I stayed here for a couple of nights in early December. That time of year is apparently the low season for the area as there were only a couple of other rooms at the resort occupied.

The staff was amazing! The check-in staff, the waitress, the cook and the grounds-keepers all treated the few guests like family. I'm so sorry that I forgot names to personally acknowledge them. They all speak Spanish but they go out of their way to greet and try to communicate with you in YOUR language in THEIR country.

One night, there were so few people dining at the restaurant (again, it was low season) that the cook said, "....don't look at the menu . . .just tell me what you feel like eating and I'll fix it." One of the most amazing meals ever with ingredients put together in a really imaginative way!

The rooms are basic but functional and clean. The resort is well maintained. There were usually howler monkeys in the trees and a few iguanas wandering the grounds during the morning hours (they won't approach you).

I've seen a few say that the pool is dirty. Remember, there is a canopy of trees surrounding the pool so constant leaf litter is inevitable. I saw the grounds crew cleaning the pool and patio at least twice a day, but the warm breeze and falling leaves quickly covered their hard work. Leaves don't bite!

My one and only complaint about the resort is that there is nothing else to do in the area. It's a $15-$20 cab ride (each way) to the bustling little tourist town of Playa Del Coco. Other than that, there are no stores, restaurants or beach bars within walking distance, so plan to entertain yourself if you stay at the resort.

Room Tip: None of the rooms are on the water. The rooms closer to the restaurant may be most convenient to th...
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
Signal Mountain, Tennessee
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2014 via mobile

I spent 5 nights at this hotel the last week of December. I will say I wasn't expecting much after reading some of the reviews but it was a last minute plan to stay in this area so there was little availability. I found Sol Papagayo very quiet, safe, and with friendly staff. My room was towards the back and there was construction of walkways occurring but that is progress. I wouldn't have known the workers were present had I not seen them...they were very quiet and don't use any machinery. There are monkeys in trees, beautiful birds all around, iguanas, and flowers everywhere. I only had breakfast here but each morning it was fresh and delicious, buffet style. All the other guests I spoke with were happy...I did overhear 1 lady complaining about the AC not working in her room. ( Personally, I only used my room for sleep and Shower. Didnt even notice if it was hot or cold in there.). Check in/out was fast and easy. Pool was perfectly clear and cleaned at least every morning. Not a tiny shred of trash anywhere. Music not too loud in the lobby restaurant area. Bought sunscreen in the fully stocked gift shop. One day I forgot to close my sliding glass door and was gone 10 hours and my things were just as I had left them. It would have been nice to have a chair on the terrace. To me it seems like this place has maybe recently changed owners/mgrs and it is being improved. I feel very fortunate to have gotten it at the rate I did this year. It has a ton of potential. For now, its probably not the best option for the elitist, but as a somewhat minimalist, it was prefect. The smallish beach is beautiful and a nice walk. Its a short drive to Hermosa and Coco. If you're expecting luxurious American style accommodations, I would recommend Mexico or Jamaica all inclusive. However, if you want a safe, laid back experience in the greenest country, this solo female traveler would recommend CR and not hesitate to stay at Sol Papagayo again.

Stayed December 2013, traveled solo
San Jose, Costa Rica
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2014

Positives:
- Nice bathroom (good spacious shower)
- Cable TV
- Good wildlife (monkeys in trees, birds and iguanas)
- Nice bar-tender

Negatives:
- No WiFi in rooms, and the Wifi in the lobby wasn't working. Staff were not helpful with fixing it.
- Unhelpful, rude reception.
- TV was old
- Jacuzzi and half the water features on property were empty
- Breakfast was basic
- Payed for a room for 4, but got a standard room with 2 double beds pushed close together.
- Squeaky bed
- Many leaves floating in pool

We are paying one-seventh the price of yesterday and are in a much nicer place.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with family

Travelers are raving about these Playa Panama hotels

heredia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 27, 2013

I cannot blame the working staff... Certainly the owner and/or the manager is not doing its job.

First, please remove the word "resort" from the hotel title

- the check-in process was the worst ever ... One of my friends was assigned to room that was already occupied... He opened the door and there was people inside!!!! Then they were reassigned to another room where the maid said it was not in use for the last 10 months

- the pool ... Dirty to a point I think it is not safe ... Stay away from the pool

- breakfast ... It is advertised from 7 to 10 am ... We arrived at at 9:30 and the food was already removed

- it is obvious that the hotel in general is not well maintained

I have to say that the location has potential but being managed like this is not going anywhere. We knew what we were paying but what we saw is not acceptable. We are definitely not coming back.

Finally, the staff did as much as they could to manage all the angry guests. The food was acceptable.

Please do not come to this hotel unless they change the owner

As we speak we are trying to find another place to stay

Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends
Stockton-on-Tees, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2013

Arrived at the Sol Papagayo at 2.30pm and had left by 6.30pm ! The hotel was deserted, looked like it hadn't had anyone staying there for weeks. Staff were scruffy and unkempt. Pool area was covered in leaves and piles of animal excrement and infested with ants. Pool itself had parts which were green with algae and looked a health hazard to enter. Rooms were damp, smelly and threadbare.
The best part though was when we were told the staff were all leaving at 7.00pm as we were the only guests there ! This included kitchen staff and bar staff, so no food or drink, no entertainment. We were to be left with a very unprofessional looking security guard, with gun. How this hotel is allowed to take guests is beyond me, it should be closed ASAP. Ignore the five star comments, they are totally inaccurate , look at the one star for a true reflection of this horrendous hotel. We couldn't get out of the place quick enough.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
San Jose, Costa Rica
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2013

this small hotel is not very advertised but is definitly a hidden gem.
First of all its beautiful location, secluded, at the entrance of the astonishing Papagayo gulf. The romos are duplex villas with a very local twist. value is excellent for the offering. You can walk to the beach or use the pool. Contact concierge for wonderful tours packages if you want to relax or discover the real costa rica or ask them to rent a car if you wanna go around by yourself.
The staff is exceptionally attentive and the most surprising thing is that the food is really good and can be compared to hotels with a famous name.
The management is always around and easy to find. Very concerned about your needs and really helpful. We've met the GM, a great person with a wonderful knoledge of what hospitality means. Mr. Joaquin is far one of the most prepared and hands on manager I've ever seen.
Definitly I would go back to this property and i suggest it to all of those who want a nice and quite stay, relaxing and far from the busy-noisy huge hotels where the treat is not as personalized.
Thank you Sol Papagayo for a wonderful vacation!!!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 5, 2013

My husband and I stayed at Sol Papagayo for 12 nights in late April 2013. We have been told that it is recently under new management. Our experience was great and beyond our expectations having read the reviews. The food was good, fresh and healthy. The entire resort was very clean and the service was 10 star (always with a genuine smile)! There were not a lot of other guests as it was the end of the tourist season. The pool is clean, it was vacuumed every morning and the leaves removed several times a day. Some of the fluff from the trees remains on the bottom giving rise to a few cloudy patches. This is very light material and difficult to vacuum as it moves with the slight current produced by the advancing vacuum head. I think this has been mistaken as algae by some previous commenters. It is large enough for a good swim. The beach directly in front of the resort walk has some stones however, 50 metres to the right there are very few stones and further along the beach there are many great spots. We had planned to rent a car but found plenty to do by walking to Playa Buena (5 minutes) and Playa Hermosa (40 minutes) as well as along our own beach to the right (40 minutes to the end). We generally went for long walks at 5:30 am before it got too hot. We really liked the fact that there was no loud entertainment. The guests who really liked Sol Papagayo are very well travelled people who do not need planned entertainment. We were constantly entertained by the monkeys, iguanas and a great variety of birds. We also did two tours, one to Nicaragua. Each room has it own private patio. Everything is on one level (no waiting for elevators). This was the most relaxing vacation we have ever had and we both felt so rejuvenated at the end. We will definitely return.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Sol Papagayo-Nakuti Resort? Share your experiences!