“Excellent Resort” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Sol Papagayo-Nakuti Resort

You added Sol Papagayo-Nakuti Resort to your Saves list
Sol Papagayo-Nakuti Resort
3.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Playa Panama, Playa Panama, Costa Rica   |
Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Playa Panama
Canada
“Excellent Resort”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 24, 2013

We were at this resort from April 5 -13th. There were very few people there at the time so the staff got to know us very quickly and gave us extra special attention. They were excellent, especially David, the bartender, Carlos and DIane our waiter, and Manuel, the chef who is an excellent cook and should have his own tv show. The food was amazing. The best I've had at any resort. Each meal was presented as a work of art. Unlike other resorts I've been to, the specialty drinks were excellent and very well made some with extra decorations made out of tropical fruit. Our room was on three levels and very clean and spacious with a very comfortable king-sized bed. The satellite tv was good and had a good choice of channels. The howler monkeys, iguanas and magpies made the resort even more enjoyable for us. The only downfall was the beach which was shallow by the resort and at the time we were there, had a lot of jellyfish (although we weren't bothered by them). However, if you walked about half a mile to the right, the swimming there seemed much better.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
Kitchener, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 6, 2013

My husband and I just returned from this resort. I was a little worried about this resort when we booked because of some of the reviews. However, when we got there we were impressed. The lobby/bar/restaurant area of the hotel is very well kept and clean. The rooms, although basic, were very clean and large. The pool was a good size for the size of the resort.
We were at this resort for Holy Week so it was pretty full, but we never had a problem, there were always tables available, some times chairs around the pool were hard to find but if you moved them around we always had two together.
The food was basic but there was always enough, and enough options. There was always a big salad bar, some rice and/or pasta. veggies and a couple of meat options. I don't eat meat and never had a hard time getting full. There is also a snack menu that you can order off of between buffet times. The only problem that I could see was that there is no where air-conditioned areas to eat. We did not have a problem and there was a breeze.
The area that the hotel is situated is safe, we went for walks off of the resort and never had a problem.
Some reviews have complained about the beach. The beach is not white sand, it is black sand but beyond that it appeared very clean and very popular among the locals.
The best part of the resort was how quiet it was. This might not be for everyone, there is no music blarring, the bar closes at 10pm but this allows for alot of wildlife to come and relax. Four of the seven days there were about 10 howler monkeys lounging by the pool in the mango trees.
Overall, if you are ok with a quiet, relaxing vacation this resort may be for you.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Kitchener, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2013

I recently spent 2 weeks here and it was wonderful. The most serene holiday I've ever had thus far.
The staff were magnificent as were the surroundings.
I would definetly go back to this resort and recommend it to others.

Room Tip: All rooms are ground level and quiet.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
Quebec, Quebec, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 5, 2013

We loved this place. Of course, this is not a 5-stars hotel but the personnel is more than sympathic. They are really please to help and you feel like a part of the family.

The room is clean and spacious. You do not have that much choice for the food but it change everynight and it is good. Personnally we rent a car and went out during our 7-days so we do not spent the day at the resort, only had breakfast and dinner, but everytime we go back to our resort we feel like home.

The beach is not the best part of this resort but you walk 5 minutes and you have one you can enjoy easily.

This is true that there is a lack of animation but who goes to Costa Rica to spend the day at the resort ? Go to Cuba or Mexico if you wish that type of experience. At that resort you will spent breakfast with howler mokeys, birds and iguana, nature is all around with no artificial ingredients !

As it is only a 80 rooms hotel, you are sure to be in a quiet and relaxing place. We will go back for sure !!!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
Toronto
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 11, 2013

Our week at this resort was likely the worst travel experience I've ever had. I simply can't understand the positive reviews that appear here, which also were the reason I selected this resort as a "last-minute" trip from SunWing Travel Group in mid December.
Fellow travellers, beware! I wrote a letter to the CEO of Sunwing Travel Group on January 3, 2013,and so far have only received a phone call informing me that Sunwing (operating as Sell Off Vacations) is not responsible for the products they sell. I was told that my complaint has been forwarded to another company, and that they would contact me. Five weeks later, I have heard nothing.
Costa Rica is a beautiful country with many fine resorts. The lesson is to drill down a little further in the reviews, before you put your money down.
I think a synopsis of my letter will illustrate why I beg you not to give this resort any new business. The staff are nice people, and they will get jobs at other resorts!

Dear Mr. Hunter,

I have recently returned from a very unpleasant travel experience purchased from your company, Selloff Vacations (invoice attached for your reference). My wife and I went to Costa Rica on a 7 day all-inclusive package at Sol Papagayo, promoted as a three star resort and sold to us at a “Lowest Price Guaranteed” cost of $1459 person plus tax, for a total of $3565.52. Mr. Hunter, there are two issues I would ask you to consider.
1. The resort’s services and amenities were abysmal and not as advertised:
• Premium “junior suite” was the same as other rooms, had no coffee maker, no patio furniture.
• Two requests for patio furniture had no effect.
• Room furnishings were worn and torn.
• Constantly running toilet was fixed after two days and three requests.
• Air conditioning was fixed after three days and three requests. Ditto hot water.
• Hand towels were either not supplied or substituted with one wash cloth.
• Beach towels were very scarce and often required two requests.
• Pool was green with algae; cushions on deck chairs were completely worn out.
• Bathroom was never cleaned properly, soaps not replaced, etc.
• Food was generally deplorable, e.g. chopped wieners served as breakfast protein.
• There was no restaurant, no gift shop, and the “spa” never opened.
• There was one bar, not two as advertised.
• Bar service was slow and stingy to a ridiculous point. (1/4 glasses of wine)
• Snack menu was hidden from view and only offered grudgingly.
• Bartender told us that she had been specifically instructed to restrict guests.
• Staff were quite dedicated but embarrassed by all of the above.

2. Our “Lowest Price Guaranteed” of $1459 per person verges on fraud.
I talked with many other guests as we commiserated over Sol Papagayo’s shortcomings. After a few people had said, “well, it is really cheap” I began to ask what people had paid. I discovered that all had paid from $1000-$1400 less than we did.
Mr. Hunter, I am requesting two things: that your company spare itself further embarrassment and damage to its reputation by removing Sol Papagayo as a travel partner, and that Selloff Vacations honor its price commitment and refund $1000 to us as compensation.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Farnham, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 14, 2013

Breakfast with the iguanas and sitting by the pool with the howler monkeys, what more could you ask for. Staff friendly, room comfortable, lots of trips on offer should you choose to participate. Pool cleaned regularly and beach close-by.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Brampton, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 31, 2012

My husband and I weren't experienced travellers back in 2008 when we stayed there but I have to say, this place is totally under-rated. The first night our A/C did leak and some of our stuff got wet but we were upgraded immediately at no charge, and, treated with respect. The staff was wonderful friendly, and courtious! It is a little obscure and out of the way but that was part of its charm. The food was amazing, always fresh and very flavourful. We went in Jan. and got an amazing deal. Would go back in a heart-beat! Even considered getting married there but unfortunately those plans changed. Once agian, the staff were great and Playa Cocoa is only 10 mins. away for shopping and stuff. When we went to Playa Cocoa, we weren't hassled or bugged for money or anything like that. The trip to Liberia was really nice too. We were taken good care of there and they made sure that any taxi ride needed was by really good/trustable people. I felt safe there and never worried about anyone snooping in our room when we were out on day trips. We are an older couple (in our 40's) and appreciated the way we were treated. Make up yur own mind but our experience there wa a really positive and friendly one.

Room Tip: Standard was fine but may want to upgrade to superior or better, much bigger rooms. Junoir suites ar...
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Sol Papagayo-Nakuti Resort? Share your experiences!