“Great, quiet resort” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Sol Papagayo-Nakuti Resort

You added Sol Papagayo-Nakuti Resort to your Saves list
Sol Papagayo-Nakuti Resort
3.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Playa Panama, Playa Panama, Costa Rica   |
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Playa Panama
Kitchener, Canada
“Great, quiet resort”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 6, 2013

My husband and I just returned from this resort. I was a little worried about this resort when we booked because of some of the reviews. However, when we got there we were impressed. The lobby/bar/restaurant area of the hotel is very well kept and clean. The rooms, although basic, were very clean and large. The pool was a good size for the size of the resort.
We were at this resort for Holy Week so it was pretty full, but we never had a problem, there were always tables available, some times chairs around the pool were hard to find but if you moved them around we always had two together.
The food was basic but there was always enough, and enough options. There was always a big salad bar, some rice and/or pasta. veggies and a couple of meat options. I don't eat meat and never had a hard time getting full. There is also a snack menu that you can order off of between buffet times. The only problem that I could see was that there is no where air-conditioned areas to eat. We did not have a problem and there was a breeze.
The area that the hotel is situated is safe, we went for walks off of the resort and never had a problem.
Some reviews have complained about the beach. The beach is not white sand, it is black sand but beyond that it appeared very clean and very popular among the locals.
The best part of the resort was how quiet it was. This might not be for everyone, there is no music blarring, the bar closes at 10pm but this allows for alot of wildlife to come and relax. Four of the seven days there were about 10 howler monkeys lounging by the pool in the mango trees.
Overall, if you are ok with a quiet, relaxing vacation this resort may be for you.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
Kitchener, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2013

I recently spent 2 weeks here and it was wonderful. The most serene holiday I've ever had thus far.
The staff were magnificent as were the surroundings.
I would definetly go back to this resort and recommend it to others.

Room Tip: All rooms are ground level and quiet.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
Quebec, Quebec, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 5, 2013

We loved this place. Of course, this is not a 5-stars hotel but the personnel is more than sympathic. They are really please to help and you feel like a part of the family.

The room is clean and spacious. You do not have that much choice for the food but it change everynight and it is good. Personnally we rent a car and went out during our 7-days so we do not spent the day at the resort, only had breakfast and dinner, but everytime we go back to our resort we feel like home.

The beach is not the best part of this resort but you walk 5 minutes and you have one you can enjoy easily.

This is true that there is a lack of animation but who goes to Costa Rica to spend the day at the resort ? Go to Cuba or Mexico if you wish that type of experience. At that resort you will spent breakfast with howler mokeys, birds and iguana, nature is all around with no artificial ingredients !

As it is only a 80 rooms hotel, you are sure to be in a quiet and relaxing place. We will go back for sure !!!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
Toronto
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 11, 2013

Our week at this resort was likely the worst travel experience I've ever had. I simply can't understand the positive reviews that appear here, which also were the reason I selected this resort as a "last-minute" trip from SunWing Travel Group in mid December.
Fellow travellers, beware! I wrote a letter to the CEO of Sunwing Travel Group on January 3, 2013,and so far have only received a phone call informing me that Sunwing (operating as Sell Off Vacations) is not responsible for the products they sell. I was told that my complaint has been forwarded to another company, and that they would contact me. Five weeks later, I have heard nothing.
Costa Rica is a beautiful country with many fine resorts. The lesson is to drill down a little further in the reviews, before you put your money down.
I think a synopsis of my letter will illustrate why I beg you not to give this resort any new business. The staff are nice people, and they will get jobs at other resorts!

Dear Mr. Hunter,

I have recently returned from a very unpleasant travel experience purchased from your company, Selloff Vacations (invoice attached for your reference). My wife and I went to Costa Rica on a 7 day all-inclusive package at Sol Papagayo, promoted as a three star resort and sold to us at a “Lowest Price Guaranteed” cost of $1459 person plus tax, for a total of $3565.52. Mr. Hunter, there are two issues I would ask you to consider.
1. The resort’s services and amenities were abysmal and not as advertised:
• Premium “junior suite” was the same as other rooms, had no coffee maker, no patio furniture.
• Two requests for patio furniture had no effect.
• Room furnishings were worn and torn.
• Constantly running toilet was fixed after two days and three requests.
• Air conditioning was fixed after three days and three requests. Ditto hot water.
• Hand towels were either not supplied or substituted with one wash cloth.
• Beach towels were very scarce and often required two requests.
• Pool was green with algae; cushions on deck chairs were completely worn out.
• Bathroom was never cleaned properly, soaps not replaced, etc.
• Food was generally deplorable, e.g. chopped wieners served as breakfast protein.
• There was no restaurant, no gift shop, and the “spa” never opened.
• There was one bar, not two as advertised.
• Bar service was slow and stingy to a ridiculous point. (1/4 glasses of wine)
• Snack menu was hidden from view and only offered grudgingly.
• Bartender told us that she had been specifically instructed to restrict guests.
• Staff were quite dedicated but embarrassed by all of the above.

2. Our “Lowest Price Guaranteed” of $1459 per person verges on fraud.
I talked with many other guests as we commiserated over Sol Papagayo’s shortcomings. After a few people had said, “well, it is really cheap” I began to ask what people had paid. I discovered that all had paid from $1000-$1400 less than we did.
Mr. Hunter, I am requesting two things: that your company spare itself further embarrassment and damage to its reputation by removing Sol Papagayo as a travel partner, and that Selloff Vacations honor its price commitment and refund $1000 to us as compensation.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Farnham, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 14, 2013

Breakfast with the iguanas and sitting by the pool with the howler monkeys, what more could you ask for. Staff friendly, room comfortable, lots of trips on offer should you choose to participate. Pool cleaned regularly and beach close-by.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Brampton, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 31, 2012

My husband and I weren't experienced travellers back in 2008 when we stayed there but I have to say, this place is totally under-rated. The first night our A/C did leak and some of our stuff got wet but we were upgraded immediately at no charge, and, treated with respect. The staff was wonderful friendly, and courtious! It is a little obscure and out of the way but that was part of its charm. The food was amazing, always fresh and very flavourful. We went in Jan. and got an amazing deal. Would go back in a heart-beat! Even considered getting married there but unfortunately those plans changed. Once agian, the staff were great and Playa Cocoa is only 10 mins. away for shopping and stuff. When we went to Playa Cocoa, we weren't hassled or bugged for money or anything like that. The trip to Liberia was really nice too. We were taken good care of there and they made sure that any taxi ride needed was by really good/trustable people. I felt safe there and never worried about anyone snooping in our room when we were out on day trips. We are an older couple (in our 40's) and appreciated the way we were treated. Make up yur own mind but our experience there wa a really positive and friendly one.

Room Tip: Standard was fine but may want to upgrade to superior or better, much bigger rooms. Junoir suites ar...
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
Toronto
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 18, 2012

This little place re-opened under new management two months ago and they're gradually renovating sections of the resort. It's quiet, there's direct access to a nice beach and very friendly staff. There were also only nine of us staying that week, so we got lots of attention.

The wildlife even on the property was pretty neat: howler monkeys that tended to hang out in the trees above us (they might wake you up in the morning if you're a light sleeper), iguanas, magpie-jays, frigates soaring and herons wading in the bay and pelicans diving constantly. Beyond that, if you want to do anything, it will cost you money. We had rented a car for the week and so mostly did our own exploring, but the tours they offer tended to run $40-100 per person. From what we heard, most were well worth it (especially the waterfall/volcano one), but the snorkeling wasn't anything too thrilling - a small bit of coral with a reasonable number of fish, a few of which were interesting to look at (I did spot a turtle swimming and my mom saw a ray). If you're looking for nightlife, it's a $15 cab ride into Coco Beach, though the resort staff might take you for $10, if they're going. At the resort, everything closes down by about 9:30.

The food was okay and they were generally happy to indulge special requests (rice and beans, plantain, cheese, eggplant and avocado with hot sauce made a very good combination), but you had the same limited options all week. They did a good job of keeping track of my mother's allergies, but the vegetarian options were few. A couple of the other folks subsisted pretty solidly on breakfast and cheeseburgers. The drinks were good and we gave the blender a good workout with both mixed drinks and fruit smoothies. If you're adventurous, try the fire-guaro - a mix of the local liquor with tabasco and lemon.

The area directly in front of the resort is good for sitting and watching the ocean, but you should walk down past the line of rocks (about 100m) if you want to swim, as the beach gets much sandier there. The next resort is a good deal beyond that, so it's generally pretty quiet.

One of the highlights of the trip was sitting around and chatting with the staff, who were glad to talk and laugh and happy to teach Spanish as much as to strengthen their English (usually solid, but with a few misunderstandings).

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends

Been to Sol Papagayo-Nakuti Resort? Share your experiences!