“Beautiful property” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Playa Panama
Uvita, Costa Rica
“Beautiful property”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 19, 2013

This hotel is a little out of the way...if shopping and restaurants are important to you...Otherwise the location is perfect for a relaxing stay. Wonderfully groomed grounds and very polite and helpful staff. The room we had was clean and had comfortable beds. We found the food prices were expensive so we ate two meals at a local bar. But we did enjoy a wonderful breakfast...more than we could eat.

On the downside...we reserved our room through a site called Hotelsone - They charged our credit card about a week BEFORE we got to the hotel...maybe this is a common practice now-a-days but I was quite disturbed to learn we'd been billed for a room we had not checked into yet.
So in future I will endeavor to only book rooms directly with the hotel itself.

Room Tip: ask to be placed closer to main building because some of the rooms are a long way from reception and...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank jrgould45

Heredia, Costa Rica
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2013

Before I start, I do need to inform to my fellow travelers that I am a very picky person, and that the small things are very important to me when it comes to hotels. Things like the quality of the bed sheets, or simple stuff as having the staff calling you by your name will affect my perception. After looking at the overall reviews, my husband and I decided to spend easter on Casa Conde. These are our comments:
Good things: 1-Junior suite rooms are very nice, the jacuzzi, location (away from the noise) and distribution makes them quite comfortable. 2- The pool is very clean. 3- Get a massage, they are great and not to pricy.
Bad things: Every thing else... 1- customer service from the entire staff is absent at all times. 2- there is an evident communication gap between the staff in general and the call center guys that do the reservations. We originally booked a junior suite, and upon our arrival we were sent to a standard room (they couldnt change us to the room we asked until the next day), we were told different things by different members of the reception, we had to constantly go to the reception and stay there to receive news about our situation 3- the food is to expensive in comparison with the plates that you are offered with. Its not good, and the worse part of it is that there are no restaurants around to go to... so you end up paying for a meal you wont enjoy. 4- The staff does whatever they please, they dont comply with the established schedules (if the pool closes at 10pm, they close it at 7, the pool bar was supposed to close at 7, they were closing at 6 30) 5- The sea is really calm, but its a very popular destination for locals, so forget about enjoying a relaxed sunset in the beach, as you'll be between BBQs, kids, loud radios and possibly annoying and disrespectful people... and I could go on and on over the things I didnt like. I wont recommend this place to anyone.

Room Tip: Dont even think about standard rooms, you wont be able to escape from the noise (people from the bea...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 stars
    • 1 of 5 stars
2 Thank Barb2224
Dallas, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 21, 2013

We stayed here last year and only booked it b/c of the wonderful reviews.... the pictures do not do this place justice! This is a small boutique gem with an amazing staff! The rooms are huge, the grounds are stunning, you have your own personal pool (with a bar) and beach! what more do you need? Be sure to book any tours through the hotel and they will be sure you are getting the best price! A++++

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
la fortuna, cr
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 13, 2013

we've got an upgrade due to a wrong booking arrangement and the gm took personally care. the bungalows are very spacious and we were provided with a fridge, allowing us to share a cold bottle of white wine in front of the room. the pool is outstandingly large and absolutely clean - they are being watched by the 2 "house leguans" (a couple) and could be spotted there every day. the service at the pool bar, however was very poor as nobody was attending the same. the proximity to the beach is great and we've had a good time bathing in the smooth pacific (more sunbeds should be provided, though). the breakfast quality didn't meet our expectations and, hence we were avoiding to take dinner there but rather went to playa del coco, were we did find an excellent fish restaurant

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank timm j
New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 8, 2013 via mobile

I booked this hotel for 2 nights - as an afterthought really, to my weeklong trip to Costa Rica.

My group flew into Liberia and it was a short 30 minute drive to Panama Beach. The area is not great - construction around - the trail by the beach was a little grotty but I have to say we were surprised at the pleasant stay we had. Maybe since our expectations were not high - but the grounds for the hotel are well kept, the rooms are a good size (although we did have some tiny ants at our sink the whole time -didn't really bother us), and the food was pretty decent - which is a plus since we don't have much else very nearby for food options. (We did go to Ginger - a great Tapas restaurant the next beach over - Playa Hermosa and about 10 minute drive - the restaurant offered a free shuttle pick up).

The pool is big and well kept - the swim up bar is a plus, the direct gate-path to beach access just steps away was awesome. I had was able to get some or morning runs on the beach and a shaded foot trail/path right outside. We saw some fun lizards and a bunch of different birds on the grounds as well.

We took a sunset snorkel and sail (Kuna Vela) which was a perfect activity to do while here - we just walked out to the beach ad a dingy came to pick us up beachside and take us to the sailboat further out). I highly reccomend that activity!

The staff was warm, unobtrusive, but helpful.

If we had more time here we would have explored more into Playa Hermosa, Playa Coco - but for a convenient 30 minutes from Liberia - I would much prefer this space as a landing pad over anywhere in Liberia. We paid something like $125 per night thru hotels.com and we found it to be a great value.

• Stayed March 2013
Salt Lake City, Utah
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 7, 2013

Great place. We stayed for 2 nights at the 2 bed room with shower by the pool and loved it. Very clean everywhere - rooms, pool, restaurant, meticulously cared for garden. Nice friendly staff. Great beach with nice dark soft sand and very calm waters ideal for kids. This is our second stay here and for sure I would like to come back again.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Orange, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 3, 2013

My wife and I stayed at Casa Conde for one night on Friday February 22nd 2013. The grounds of the hotel are beautiful. We were staying in another hotel in the area but they were booked so we had to move for 2 nights. Casa Conde has a beautiful pool and the grounds are very lush. The rooms are very nice. Our room had a jucuzzi and extra large bathroom. The rooms near the pool and the beach are really located with a great view. Unfortuntly we booked late and ended up with a room near the end of the parking lot. My wife was not happy with the location of the room as she felt like we were staying in the parking lot and not close to enough to the resort. It was only about a 150 meter walk to the lobby. My biggest issue is they told me we would have internet access in the room and the internet did not work in the room. They said they would work on fixing it but that never happend. I rely on internet for business so I decided to check out the next day. When I told them I was going to check out they offered me many options to stay but i felt that should have been offered before I pack and was ready to leave. The resort is nice with a great pool. My only other concern is that Panama beach is isolated in the area. There are no other options for drinks or food so the only option when staying there is the restaurant and bars in the resort. You need a car or a cab the get to any other beach or anything else you may want to find. We did have a great evening on the hot tub in the room.

Room Tip: Stay near the pool or the beach not the parking lot.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Secrets Papagayo Costa Rica
#3 of 14 in Gulf of Papagayo
4.5 of 5 stars 181 reviews
Occidental Grand Papagayo by Barcelo
Occidental Grand Papagayo by Bar...
#7 of 14 in Gulf of Papagayo
3.5 of 5 stars 2,302 reviews
Four Seasons Resort Costa Rica at Peninsula Papagayo
Four Seasons Resort Costa Rica a...
#2 of 14 in Gulf of Papagayo
4.5 of 5 stars 1,530 reviews

Been to Casa Conde Beach-Front Hotel? Share your experiences!