“Overcharged, Poor Customer Service” 1 of 5 stars

Casa Conde Beach-Front Hotel
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   Playa Panama 68240, Costa Rica   |
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Playa Panama
Reno, Nevada
“Overcharged, Poor Customer Service”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 27, 2012

We had high hopes for this hotel! My husband and I have traveled to Costa Rica many times over the last five years and loved every minute of it. Unfortunately, it was not a good experience at Casa Conde del Mar. We booked a Junior Suite with Jacuzzi for a fairly high rate during the peak season and prepaid the cost in full prior to our arrival. When we arrived, we were given a simple, standard room. I showed them my itinerary and the front desk said they would try to find a junior suite for us, if we could wait for an hour...a few hours later we were told that they didn't have any junior suites available, so we had to keep the standard room. Of course, when I checked out I asked to be refunded the difference between what I paid for and what I actually received. The front desk clerk told me I had to call their corporate offices and work it out with them because they couldn't issue refunds at the property. Yikes - so much for personal Costa Rican service! I'm on the phone with our travel agent as I type this review, being given the run around by the hotel again (no manager on site to discuss the issue).

Booking issues aside - this is a perfectly standard resort hotel that caters to families with children, much like you'll find all over Cabo San Lucas, Mexico. Definitely not luxurious or quiet or suitable for couples, but otherwise okay. Perhaps the Junior Suites with jacuzzis are really lovely - but I'll never find out :)

Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Dave_and_Lisa80

Middlesex, Vermont
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 20, 2012

We stayed just one night before our resort could take us. It was one of the most pleasant experiences we had in our 12 days in Costa Rica. We were treated like queens, and we had the place virtually to ourselves. The most incredible meal of fresh red snapper specially prepared by the chef, and hours of relaxing by the large and very clean pool were highlights.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank CEM05602
Boston
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 7, 2012

We stayed at this hotel as part of a small group trip to Costa Rica -- one location of several. This hotel was fine for our purposes but less luxurious than others we stayed at. The things to do on site are the pool facility (nice pool) and the beach. It is a beautiful beach, but watch out for sand flees and mosquitoes. There are no restaurants or town to walk to. Cabs to neighboring areas are pricey -- we went to Playa del Coco (we had transportation) but another hotel guest told us the cab fare was $40 each way. The air conditioning in the rooms was very effective (it was very hot here) and the beds and bathrooms were fine. Food was average for Costa Rica -- not the highlight (other than the fruit and fruit drinks.) You can get to Palo Verde Nat'l Park from here which we did and had an interesting trip on the river. Wildlife viewing in the immediate area includes birds, monkeys, and skunks. Snorkeling in the area was not worth it including a group that went for a boat trip to a snorkeling area.

Room Tip: Some rooms are closer to the pool than others. Things were very quiet when we were there but they d...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
Houston, Texas, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 30, 2012

The pool is beautiful, the rooms immaculate. Eddier and Kimberly mix fantastic cocktails with the freshest ingredients at the bar. Wilber and Hugo produce wonderful meals with fresh local ingredients. Wonderful place to getaway from it all.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank CWeber3000
Pfaeffikon, Switzerland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 24, 2012

We spent 3 nights there and it was just amazing. The pool area was clean, beautiful including a pool bar. The rooms were well equiped and clean. The staff was friendly and helpful in every situation. A highlight was definitly the massage beside the pool (ask at the reception). The dinner was just amazing. Since there weren't a lot of other guests the cook even surprised us with a 3 course menu which was not on the menu card. Compared to other restaurant it was quite expensive though.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
Kitcat22
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2012

I booked at Expedia for 2 nights at ~$89US per night, no meals. The location and the facilities were just fine for me. In fact, everything was great until my leg started itching as I checked out. I didn't give anything a thought until I turned in the rental car and was getting settled to wait at the airport. Holy Guacamole! Three bites on one leg, more bites on arm and over my shoulder blade. Since I'd already left the hotel I couldn't look at the mattress tufts and folds for telltale signs.
So my first step was to email the hotel, forwarding pics so they can address the problem directly. I look forward to hearing from them. Meanwhile, beware! These bites look like classic bed bug bites, linear/grouped, just under 1/2 inch diameter.
The only other problem with the room was that I could hear my neighbors' TV and night sounds, even though the walls between rooms seem so solid.

Room Tip: Check the mattress seams and creases for bugs!
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
    • 2 of 5 stars
    • 1 of 5 stars
6 Thank Kitcat22
San Jose, Costa Rica
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2012

When I got a great deal on this hotel on expedia.com ($157 per day for two people with full board) I was expecting it to be just adequate. Wrong! What a pleasant surprise! Large landscaped grounds, enormous free-form pool plus large kiddie pool, (only 20) good-sized rooms with porch facing the ocean. Set on the undevelopped and uncrowded Playa Panama, a huge enclosed bay with ultra-calm water and no danger of rip-currents or undertow. Courteous friendly staff. Small dogs allowed. Very good food, three-course lunch and dinner were included in our plan. November is a great time to go to escape the height of the rainy season in San Jose and enjoy the beginning of the dry season in Guanacaste at bargain prices.

Room Tip: They're all basically the same as far as I could see. Twenty-four condo-style units will be adde...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Secrets Papagayo Costa Rica
#3 of 14 in Gulf of Papagayo
4.5 of 5 stars 203 reviews
Occidental Grand Papagayo by Barcelo
Occidental Grand Papagayo by Bar...
#7 of 14 in Gulf of Papagayo
3.5 of 5 stars 2,317 reviews
Four Seasons Resort Costa Rica at Peninsula Papagayo
Four Seasons Resort Costa Rica a...
#2 of 14 in Gulf of Papagayo
4.5 of 5 stars 1,534 reviews

Been to Casa Conde Beach-Front Hotel? Share your experiences!