“Best Meal of our Trip” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Abbocato

Abbocato
Road 254, Km. 8th, | Hacienda Del Mar Project, Playa Panama 297-1005, Costa Rica
+506 2672 0073
Website
Improve this listing
Cuisines: Asian, Mediterranean, Asian fusion
Good for: Outdoor seating, Scenic view
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Lunch, Dinner, Delivery, Late Night, Dessert
Description: To define Abbocato is to talk about a family that will welcome new friends in our home to create an unforgettable experience and to give an elegant and professional service in a distinguished environment with the best view of “Golfo Papagayo”.Our goal is to convey a sense of satisfaction on the client through an eno-gastronomic journey of high level, with luxurious and cozy surroundings with large windows and a wonderful terrace where you must enjoy the most beautiful sunsets in the Pacific Ocean.The style of cuisine that Restaurante Aboocato offers can be defined as “author”. On a daily basis Paola and Andrea, both highly experienced chefs, organize next day’s menu according to the main ingredients, based on freshness and quality to bring out the best flavors on all the dishes prepared.You can enjoy every night, one of two choices from our menu. It can be mediterranean or asian. They both include an entree, a soup or a second entree, a main dish and a dessert.For those who want to experience a less formal meal, we offer a “tapas” gourmet menu. It includes meat tapas, chicken tapas, vegetarian tapas, and more. We will satisfy any taste you desire.For lunch, our menu represents our compromise to our clients. We have a "a la carte menú" and different daily specials presented in our unique and original way with all of our authentic flavors.In addition we have a great beverage selection, from our original cocktails to exotic drinks. Our wine list offers organic and biodinamic options like our house wines, which are labeled from different parts of the world with a very high quality-price realation. To these wines we add a very personal selection of unique bottles in Costa Rica, for those wine lovers and wine experts that like to experience a unique tasting.There is no need to mention, that all of this would be impossible without the collaboration from our staff; they are well prepared, professional and experienced, with an extraordinary attitude towards your experience, so that you will remember it for the rest of your life.We will be waiting for you!If you have any questions or would like more information, do not hesitate and contact us!
Chicago, Illinois
“Best Meal of our Trip”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2013

My husband and I came here for dinner during our Honeymoon. I had read the reviews on this site, and decided that we should give it a try. We were not disappointed! We arrived for sunset and enjoyed a glass of wine while watching the sunset over the Peninsula. Afterwards, we had an absolutely delicious meal. The menu changes daily, and you have the option of a meat or fish based dinner. I took the fish and my husband had the meat. The flavors and quality were outstanding. The folks at the restaurant were so attentive and kind. The owners had worked at the Four Seasons and have managed to surpass the experience we had there (which was also terrific). I highly recommend this restaurant.

• Visited August 2013

96% Recommend
Santa Cruz, California
“Fabulous food, service, and ambiance”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2013

This is a dining pleasure worth every pleasurable moment for people who truly enjoy excellent, innovative, delicious food at a good value. The owners, are so hospitable and talented. They truly understand good service, good food, at a good value. Both chefs by training, they met while working at the Four Seasons here in Papaygoyo Peninsula. Andrea Florentin is from Italy and his wife Paola Villalobus Pinzon from Costa Rica. What a pleasure to meet them and experience the fine dining one might never expect in a remote area of Costa Rica. they add such a personal touch to the time you are in their restaurant. They are accomodating and caring which is such a pleasure from the hustle and bustle of some restaurants. We went back three times while visiting from California and loved every evening. They do not have outside dining tables but they do have outdor seating for cocktails if you want to enjoy a drink while watching a beautiful sunset. We look forward to returning to Abbocatto when we return to the area. The dining room has an exquisite view of the Gulf of Papygayo and elegantly appointed. This has become our favorite restaurant in Costa Rica and head and shoulders above anything in the area.

“Game Changer”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2013 via mobile

We arrived to Costa Rica to find that our transportation at the airport wasn't there, ac was broken at the home we were renting, and we spent all our cash on incidentals in our first 4 hours. Rough start.
So we scoured trip advisor for a well liked restaurant, and decided upon Abbocato. It was in a secluded setting off of Playa Panama.
As soon as we walked through the door, our demeanor shifted. The ambience was perfect. Beautifully appointed, with an amazing view of the water. Andrea ( an Italian x pat chef/ owner ) came out and introduced himself and went over the menu. They offered tapas style dining and a 4 course fixed price menu with either a meat or
seafood theme. I ordered the meat fixed price option, everyone else ordered two tapas and a dessert. Andrea adjusted the offerings to suit taste when requested.
Shortly after ordering Paula ( chef/ hostess/ owner/ Costa Rican / Andrea's wife ) came out and introduced herself. She brought out local berries for us to try. and also gave us insight into local areas. She was teriffic!
As for the food, I believe we may have tried almost everything on the menu between us. And we all shared. Baked Brie, fried risotto, Asian chicken over Thai slaw, meatballs, steak and mushrooms, veal, lamb chops, and a lasagne.
Every single offering was phenomenal!
From the wine through the dessert, we could not have asked for a better experience.
And when we got the check, we were pleasantly surprised. It was hard to believe that I could describe a meal of this quality as a value, but this was my first experience in Costa Rice where I felt like I got more than I paid for. We will be back.

“Delicious!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2013 via mobile

We had dinner here last night. The food was creative and delicious. While the menu is sophisticated, our children (11 and 13), found several dishes that appealed to them. We found the cost to be better than expected. It was truly a good value. The setting was beautiful. The owners were delightful and accommodating. We felt like family.

Avon, Connecticut
“This is my all time favorite restaurant”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2013

This is my second time critiquing Abbocato Restaurant as I didn’t think they could raise the bar higher…but Paola and Andrea did.

To begin with the facility is lovely. Their restaurant overlooks Papagayo Bay and is simply but elegantly decorated. They could easily fit in more tables but they don’t because they want to give the proper the attention and service to all their patrons. They make you feel as if you are the only people in the place.

My boyfriend and I visited the restaurant on our last night in Costa Rica. We started with cocktails on their terrace in order to take advantage of the beautiful Costa Rican sunsets for which the Country is famous. We thought we would have some tapas with our drinks so Andrea, the owner/chef but we consider him an artist, suggested the smoked tuna with avocado on garlic points and the baked brie cheese wrapped in phyllo dough. Both tapas were outstanding. The tuna is smoked right there in their restaurant.

We then sat down for dinner. Andrea in his customary manner proceeds to tell us the options for dinner. There are four courses and we have our choice from the meat and fish options. I might add that Andrea creates a new menu every night. Nothing is in writing…he simply comes to your table and offers the evening’s fare. My boyfriend had the risotto with artichokes and aged goat cheese and I the octopus carpaccio. Amazing!!! Then we had a mushroom/eggplant strudel with speck and a coconut Thai soup with shrimp. For the entrees we had a suckling pork roll. Very unique and so tasty. For dessert we had the poached pear in red wine with cinnamon, cloves and star anise. Wonderful. Of course, I cannot leave that restaurant without an order of Italian hot chocolate. It’s like a hot liquid chocolate pudding….. nectar from the Gods.

This restaurant is a find in any country. If it were located in Manhattan, the meals would cost easily $200 per person. Without drinks, it ran about $45. Unreal.

My only complaint is that they don’t have a restaurant in Connecticut.

Ivy Marsh