“Very nice for a family....pros/cons...” 4 of 5 stars

Casa Conde del Mar Hotel and Resort
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   Panama Beach | Pacific North Coast, 68240, Costa Rica   |
Ranked #5 of 15 Hotels in Gulf of Papagayo
San Jose, California
“Very nice for a family....pros/cons...”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 31, 2012

My wife and two 8 yr olds just left 5 days at Casa Conde. Loved it.

The best: their pools area is large and shallow enough(actually there are tow adjoining pools...one is 2 ft deep and the other goes from 3 ft to about 5 feet...and they are both very good size!), plus there's a waterfall they can jump from! You don't feel cramp or crowded b/c there are only 25 rooms so not many people.

The grounds are lovely and all buildings just 1 story makes you feel in nature.
Small fitness area with just one universal weight set will not satisfy an athlete.

Also good: the beach is beautiful and no waves...and a few steps away past a row of trees that give shade. Local vendors offer ice cream & jetskis but not pushy at all.

Also good: the staff. Sympatico group. We had a mixup and were put in a small room at first but they quicky straightened it out. (Our booking was via TripAdvisor, paid 6 months in advance.) During meals they are attentive, too.

Not so good: their restaurant prices are rediculous ($25/entree). Only options are 5 min ride to Playa Hermosa for 5 restaurants ( nothing quick), or 20 min to Playa del Coco for 50 choices including quick burgers/pizza. If you have a car, this is no problem...we drove around every day and loved it as we also visited beaches and waterfalls.

Now, the issue: we stayed 5 days and then upon arrival home, we noticed bites on legs and back, which another reviewer mentioned as bedbugs. Would such bits take 5 days to surface? I don't think so...but if you go there, check the sheets. Maybe we got bitten by fleas on the plane??? Weird. I would go again to Casa Conde in a heartbeat....and rent a car again too.

I do recommend this place...just be aware. BTW we used "U-save" rental agency and they were fine. Had the Suzuki Jimmy little 2-door tin can. Roads near beaches are good and no 4WD is needed...but if you plan to searching for waterfalls or drive yourself to activities or Monteverde, get the 4WD.

Room Tip: They have 6 buildings with 4 rooms each. Two of the buildings are off the parking lot rather than f...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (56)
Reno, Nevada
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 27, 2012

We had high hopes for this hotel! My husband and I have traveled to Costa Rica many times over the last five years and loved every minute of it. Unfortunately, it was not a good experience at Casa Conde del Mar. We booked a Junior Suite with Jacuzzi for a fairly high rate during the peak season and prepaid the cost in full prior to our arrival. When we arrived, we were given a simple, standard room. I showed them my itinerary and the front desk said they would try to find a junior suite for us, if we could wait for an hour...a few hours later we were told that they didn't have any junior suites available, so we had to keep the standard room. Of course, when I checked out I asked to be refunded the difference between what I paid for and what I actually received. The front desk clerk told me I had to call their corporate offices and work it out with them because they couldn't issue refunds at the property. Yikes - so much for personal Costa Rican service! I'm on the phone with our travel agent as I type this review, being given the run around by the hotel again (no manager on site to discuss the issue).

Booking issues aside - this is a perfectly standard resort hotel that caters to families with children, much like you'll find all over Cabo San Lucas, Mexico. Definitely not luxurious or quiet or suitable for couples, but otherwise okay. Perhaps the Junior Suites with jacuzzis are really lovely - but I'll never find out :)

Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Middlesex, Vermont
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 20, 2012

We stayed just one night before our resort could take us. It was one of the most pleasant experiences we had in our 12 days in Costa Rica. We were treated like queens, and we had the place virtually to ourselves. The most incredible meal of fresh red snapper specially prepared by the chef, and hours of relaxing by the large and very clean pool were highlights.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Boston
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 7, 2012

We stayed at this hotel as part of a small group trip to Costa Rica -- one location of several. This hotel was fine for our purposes but less luxurious than others we stayed at. The things to do on site are the pool facility (nice pool) and the beach. It is a beautiful beach, but watch out for sand flees and mosquitoes. There are no restaurants or town to walk to. Cabs to neighboring areas are pricey -- we went to Playa del Coco (we had transportation) but another hotel guest told us the cab fare was $40 each way. The air conditioning in the rooms was very effective (it was very hot here) and the beds and bathrooms were fine. Food was average for Costa Rica -- not the highlight (other than the fruit and fruit drinks.) You can get to Palo Verde Nat'l Park from here which we did and had an interesting trip on the river. Wildlife viewing in the immediate area includes birds, monkeys, and skunks. Snorkeling in the area was not worth it including a group that went for a boat trip to a snorkeling area.

Room Tip: Some rooms are closer to the pool than others. Things were very quiet when we were there but they d...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
Houston, Texas, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 30, 2012

The pool is beautiful, the rooms immaculate. Eddier and Kimberly mix fantastic cocktails with the freshest ingredients at the bar. Wilber and Hugo produce wonderful meals with fresh local ingredients. Wonderful place to getaway from it all.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
Pfaffikon, Switzerland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 24, 2012

We spent 3 nights there and it was just amazing. The pool area was clean, beautiful including a pool bar. The rooms were well equiped and clean. The staff was friendly and helpful in every situation. A highlight was definitly the massage beside the pool (ask at the reception). The dinner was just amazing. Since there weren't a lot of other guests the cook even surprised us with a 3 course menu which was not on the menu card. Compared to other restaurant it was quite expensive though.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
Kitcat22
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2012

I booked at Expedia for 2 nights at ~$89US per night, no meals. The location and the facilities were just fine for me. In fact, everything was great until my leg started itching as I checked out. I didn't give anything a thought until I turned in the rental car and was getting settled to wait at the airport. Holy Guacamole! Three bites on one leg, more bites on arm and over my shoulder blade. Since I'd already left the hotel I couldn't look at the mattress tufts and folds for telltale signs.
So my first step was to email the hotel, forwarding pics so they can address the problem directly. I look forward to hearing from them. Meanwhile, beware! These bites look like classic bed bug bites, linear/grouped, just under 1/2 inch diameter.
The only other problem with the room was that I could hear my neighbors' TV and night sounds, even though the walls between rooms seem so solid.

Room Tip: Check the mattress seams and creases for bugs!
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business

Been to Casa Conde del Mar Hotel and Resort? Share your experiences!