We have just returned from our first visit to Costa Rica and enjoyed every minute of our two week stay.
Our first week began with the seven night Eco Adventure Tour where, among other things, we visited the Arenal Volcano and were fortunate to see the lava flowing on both nights of our stay. We then visited the Santa Elena Reserve in Monteverde which has the best zip lining in Costa Rica by far. This seven night tour conducted by Swiss Travel, also included horse back riding, tubing, relaxing at the Termales Hot Springs and walking through the tree canopy on the Hanging Bridges. Our guide Paulo was extremely knowledgable about the flora and fauna and was great at spotting the birds and animals that abound in this area of Costa Rica. Gerardo our driver was also super at guiding us over some very rough roadson the way to Monteverde.
Our second week was spent relaxing at the beautiful Occidental Grand Papagayo Hotel. We have stayed in many "All Inclusive" resorts and found the food and service at this hotel to be one of the best we have experienced.
The staff at the Grand were very friendly and helpful and were quick to solve any problems we had. Apart from a variety of main courses in the Buffet Restaurant, there was always an abundace of fresh fruit and the desserts were too hard to resist. .After the first day, we discovered that we didn't need to negotiate the many steps to the lobby if we didn't feel like it as the shuttle carts constantly circled the resort and would take you anywhere you wish. We prefered to walk so that we could observe the parrots, inguana, monkeys and other creatures that also stay at the resort.
Our room was one of the furthest from the lobby but our view of the bay and the beauty of the surroundings made our walk worth while. While the beach is not the pristine white sand that we have experienced in other countries, we couldn't complain when we could just tilt our head to see the howler monkeys eating the yellow flowers and the parrots chattering at each other. Although at first glance the water looks murky, you just have to walk in a few feet and it is clear. Don't forget to take advantage of the snorkling gear that is provided by the hotel so that you can view the shoals of fish swimming close to shore.
All in all, a great holiday.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- On the unspoiled northern Pacific coast of Costa Rica(home to wild parrots and endagered sea turtles), striking volcanic cliffs dramatically descend to powdery sand beaches and crystalline coves. Elegant and respectfully situaded within this breathtaking haven in the five-star Occidental Grand papagayo. Reverently aligned with its majestic surroundings, the resort offers a new kind of luxury all inclusive vacation. It is nothing short of extraordinary.Couples, families and friends who visit experience premiun service, discover gourmand dining and select from an impressive gamut of activities and sports. The resor´s natural setting and luxury amenities also make it the ideal locale for an incomparable wedding or honeymoon. In short, the Occidental Grand Papagayo is a perfect vacation spot for anyone and any reason. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Hotels.com, BookIt.com, Caribbean Online Mgt Corp., Cheap Tickets, Orbitz, Despegar.com, Priceline, Odigeo and Tingo so you can book your Occidental Grand Papagayo reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Occidental Grand Papagayo Hotel Gulf Of Papagayo
- Occidental Grand Papagayo Gulf Of
- Occidental Grand Papagayo Costa Rica
- Grande Papagayo Costa Rica
- Grand Papagayo Liberia