“Rooms were dissappointing” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #8 of 15 Hotels in Gulf of Papagayo
Lake Forest, California, United States
“Rooms were dissappointing”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed yesterday NEW

This was our first all inclusive vacation. That said, the food was decent and the drinks were flowing. We stayed on property a majority of the time and the activities there were good. The staff was friendly in the restaurants, bars and at the front desk. We found the room staff to be lacking with many basics missing. The first night we had no soap, waters, the remote didn't work (NBA playoffs) and a total of 6 hangers for a week for 2 people. Seriously? I asked twice but never got any. Since there was no dresser, be prepared to literally live out of your suitcase. Overall room cleanliness was a "C" at best although everywhere else in the hotel was good. Glad we went but not a resort we would recommend unless there isn't anything better. The "free" wifi wouldn't even connect the last 2 days. Probably should have just paid the $50 for the week instead of the complimentary.

• Stayed May 2015, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (527)
  • Polish first
New York City, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed yesterday NEW via mobile

This was my husband's and my 2nd experience at an all inclusive resort and it met my expectations and a bit more.

Rooms:
Rooms were nice, bed was pretty comfy. Bathrooms are big, and plenty of space throughout the room to put luggages, shoes, bags, etc around. The walls are quite thin- the first night we stayed we heard some animal outside and kept us up quite a while. I noticed that our front door had a bit of a crack, which I automatically thought insects will for sure get in but surprisingly and thankfully we didn't find any critters inside our room. (I did over hear another couple say they found a scorpion in their room.)

Food:
Breakfast was great, felt like there was a good enough variation for everyone. My husband's favorite was the tocino and I enjoyed having omelettes made. The snack bar offered burgers, quesadillas, nachos and wings, all were good. Dinner was also great. I always enjoyed the Spanish foods, my husband enjoyed the oriental/ Asian cooking. If you want to try one of their restaurants, you'll need at least 24 hours to make reservations.

Pool:
There is one pool, it was nice. Their jacuzzi never felt like it was warm enough though. At the pool there are activities like aqua classes and volleyball, all fun to watch or participate in. Not much of a beach on property.

Hotel preso/ Club Member pitch:
My one advice to the hotel is to NOT invite guests to a presentation their second day of arriving. The concierge called it a "Welcome breakfast" but sure enough we knew exactly what it was. We were in a foreign country not even for 24 hours and they were expecting us to purchase club ownership. We hadn't even explored the resort to see if we even liked it, let alone buy it. The tour was fine as it gave us the opportunity to explore the grounds, but we weren't interested in purchasing. The only plus we saw to being a club member is a lounge area and better poolside chairs.

Hotel in general:
Good property. We split our trip and stayed at the Andaz Papagayo for the latter part of our trip and we absolutely loved that hotel. (Feel free to read my review on the Andaz.)

Would recommend Occidental Grand, but probably will not return.

Stayed May 2015, traveled as a couple
New York City, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 5 days ago NEW

My husband and I traveled with friends to this resort for 5 days. The grounds were beautiful and scenic. I loved all of the wildlife that was all around us, absolutely gorgeous!

The staff is what separates this hotel from most, as they were extremely accommodating and friendly. The staff that took care of the activities were great! The housekeeping staff were effecting and thorough, and very sweet. Jeffery and Roberto were wonderful, as well as Patricia and Jose Maria in the buffet restaurant. There were many others, far too much to name. Thank you all for making this stay so memorable.

The only complaint I have, the reason this was an average hotel and not outstanding, is the food. The buffet is EXTREMELY limited. I have stayed at many all inclusive hotels and I have never seen a buffet quite as small as this one. And unfortunately what they lacked in size they didn't make up in flavor. On most days the food was bland, the rice undercooked, and one evening I even found a bug nestling in my cauliflower!

The Italian restaurant was the only speciality restaurant that is even worth mentioning, as the Oriental and Mexican were both blah.

Honestly if it wasn't for the food, I would highly recommend this resort to anyone looking for a Costa Rican getaway..

Room Tip: Building 23 was a great location, walking distance but nice and quiet!
  • Stayed May 2015, traveled as a couple
Lynda Anne W, Guest Experience Manager at Occidental Grand Papagayo, responded to this review, 4 days ago
Dear Danielle G,

Thank you for taking the time to share your recent vacation experience here at Occidental Grand Papagayo. We`re happy that you enjoyed all the flora and fauna our surroundings have to offer and the intimacy and friendliness of our Adults Only resort. It`s great to see that our staff contributed so much to your stay and I`ll be sure to pass along your comments to my colleagues. Your kind words will certainly motivate them and they`ll really appreciate the mention. We appreciate your comments regarding the Buffet and are currently revising and modifying this area in order to improve this service to all our guests. It was our pleasure to attend you throughout your stay and we do hope we will have an opportunity in the future to welcome you back here with us. Kind regards and best wishes from all the team here at Occidental Grand Papagayo
West Sussex UK
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 5 days ago NEW

Travel Details:
We stayed at the above property during the beginning of May 2015. We travelled via American airlines via Miami to Liberia. As mentioned on route you do need to collect your luggage and then drop it off whilst going through transit. On our return the bags where checked right through to London. You also need to go through boarder control which was fine they initially pointed us via the automatic machines but our outcome was rejected so we had to go through the queue to the normal passport control. On our way to Costa Rica this took very little extra time and as we had a three hour lay over it was fine. However, on our return to Miami the queues where long and it took us just over 90 minutes to get through so if you are planning to go via the USA please allow time between your connecting flights.

Hotel:
On the whole good. Check in swift and easy. Grounds very nicely laid out and full of wildlife you will see iguana's coatis, skunks and racoons as well as monkeys on the beach. Also an abundance of birds especially the sneaky blue magpies who like to steal the pineapple from you cocktails.
We had an ocean view room and it was very nice the view fantastic. Only issue we had was that the room was left unlocked on two separate occasions we had made use of the in room safe so nothing was taken so please do use this facility.

Lobby Bar:
Nice little bar and I'd like to thank Edwin for his excellent service a real star!

Pool:
The pool is located at the bottom of the main stair case which can be accessed via undulating road so is accessible for wheelchair users but I won't recommend this property as a wheelchair friendly option. Pool Service was excellent special thanks to Carlos and Manuel who kept our glasses full.

Snack Bar:
For our first week it was buffet style which was great as you could have a chilli hot dog and put what ever you liked with it. 2nd week all change and it was turned into an a la cart set up where you ordered what you wanted so no more chillie dogs and a longer wait for your food and you didn't always get what you were expecting.

The Buffet:
Well what can I say it was a lottery they do a theme night everyday but unfortunately each night contained either a fish, Pork, Beef dish. Fine you may think but for example there as an Italian night which had meatballs but no pasta and some mash potatoe I've never had mash in an Italian!

Overall it was a good base although a little off the beaten path and an $80 round trip to coco beach. I would recommend this property to couples of all ages provided you are mobile.

Dear LatravelWestSussex,

Thank you so much for taking the time to share your recent vacation experience here at Occidental Grand Papagayo. We are so pleased to read that you had a great stay and enjoyed the flora and fauna of our natural surroundings and the intimacy and friendliness of our Adults Only concept. It`s great to see that our staff contributed so much to your stay and I`ll be sure to pass along your comments to my colleagues. Your kind words will certainly motivate them and they`ll really appreciate the mention. We are very grateful for all the resort features you highlight in your extensive review and for the information and great tips you have provided our future guests. Your descriptive comments will prove helpful to many. It was our pleasure to attend you throughout your stay and we do hope we will have an opportunity in the future to welcome you back here with us. Kind regards and best wishes from all the team here at Occidental Grand Papagayo.
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 6 days ago NEW

If you are looking for a vacation filled with party time, do not go here! If you want to relax and get some sun then you will love this place. Be careful though because in July the weather was pretty cloudy during our stay. Also, I would try to get a room not all the way on top of the hill, especially if you are older, because it was a mission hoping up and down everyday. I spent most of my time next to their lovely pool and didn't really do many excursions because I had don't most of the ones they had.we did take trip to a near by city which was pretty cool. The food was nothing special and could have been better. I would suggest making reservations every day to eat. The beach was pretty much pointless because of the high tides that happened almost everyday. Searching for the monkeys in the trees was entertaining though. From our window it looked like Jurassic park which I also enjoyed.

Stayed July 2014, traveled with friends
Lynda Anne W, Guest Experiece Manager at Occidental Grand Papagayo, responded to this review, 4 days ago
Dear Carla S,

Thank you for taking the time to share your vacation experience last July in Occidental Grand Papagayo. We are so pleased that you enjoyed a relaxing time and appreciated all the flora and fauna in our natural surroundings. We are grateful for your comments and for the information and great tips you have provided our future guests. Since your stay we have introduced the issue of tide tables to all our guests at check in so they may choose when to enjoy the beach at its best at low tide. It was our pleasure to attend you throughout your stay and we hope to welcome you back here with us in the near future. Kind regards and best wishes from all the team here at Occidental Grand Papagayo.
Bragg Creek, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 6 days ago NEW

My husband and I stayed for 10 days that included celebrating in the New Year at the hotel. We thoroughly enjoyed our stay. I agree with the folks that recommend ignoring the negative reviews. You are going to stay in a tropical place near the ocean -- it will feel musty if you come from a dryer climate. It is a great place with staff that care and want you to have a wonderful time. Enjoy it.

• Stayed December 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear AdeleeP,

Thank you for taking the time to share your vacation experience last December in Occidental Grand Papagayo. We are so pleased that you had a great time and that our staff contributed so much to your holiday experience. We are grateful for your comments and for the information and great tips you have provided our future guests. It was our pleasure to attend you throughout your stay and we hope to welcome you back here with us in the near future . Kind regards and best wishes from all the team here at Occidental Grand Papagayo.
Houston, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 6 days ago NEW

Over the top hospitality ! Beautiful resort with wildlife all around...just a little bit of paradise. Best time to visit...probably December through April. The people who work here are amazing! The food is delicious and presentation outstanding. The beach access is easy and cean and comfortable. You can snorkle and enjoy a variety of fish !

Stayed April 2015, traveled as a couple
Dear sdcavallo,

Thank you for taking the time to share your holiday experience at the moment in Occidental Grand Papagayo. We are so pleased that you are having a great time and that our staff are contributing so much to your holiday experience. We are grateful for all the resort features you highlight in your review and for the information and great tips you have provided our future guests. It is our pleasure to attend you throughout your stay and we remain at your service. Kind regards and best wishes from all the team here at Occidental Grand Papagayo.

Been to Occidental Grand Papagayo? Share your experiences!