My husband and I spent 10 days at the Occidental Grand Papagayo for our honeymoon and while I was a bit leary initially of All inclusive resort service, I was pleasantly surprised with our trip. The service was excellent. The staff was very friendly and kind, they genuinely wanted to make sure our stay was amazing.
The food was great - very fresh and many varieties to choose from. We stayed in a room with a view of the Gulf, building 23 and it was amazing! Great views of the Gulf, the howler monkeys in the trees right outside our windows and of the other local wildlife!
There were 76 stairs from the pool up to the main lobby where the gift shop, lobby and restaurants were located - they could be a bit much but if you called the front desk for a ride, it was no problem. There was quite a bit of walking, but the rides were offered at any time day or night. We went towards the end of tourist season and I think that may be why the service was so spectacular - this resort was not super crowded. We loved it!
The Italian restaurant was delicious - service was impeccable!
The beach was smallish, but not crowded and the locals were very nice and pleasant. The local vendors would approach only once and were not pushy. That was a plus! I wish someone would have told me I wouldn't have been able to bring back my seashells as I spent a lot of time collecting them only to have them confiscated at the airport. :(
Two things that could be improved upon - 1) they need an ATM. Some things require cash and when we ran low, we had to have the driver stop in the nearest town on the way to the airport to get some. That would be a nice addition to the resort. 2) the Giftshop was quite pricey for basics (water, soda, beer, Kleenex etc). I understand that the jewelry and local trinkets were expensive, that is fine but the extras that maybe one forgot at home or needed more of were WAY too pricey. Those could be a bit more reasonable.
We spent minimal time in the pool as it was very hot during the day and at the beach there were nice trees with shade. They also had lounge chairs at the beach and drinks were offered.
We thought the service was the best ever, from the Maid service to the guy who was working on the paths with a leaf blower, that stopped when we were walking by. Everyone had a smile and answers to questions were just a phone call away!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- On the unspoiled northern Pacific coast of Costa Rica(home to wild parrots and endagered sea turtles), striking volcanic cliffs dramatically descend to powdery sand beaches and crystalline coves. Elegant and respectfully situaded within this breathtaking haven in the five-star Occidental Grand papagayo. Reverently aligned with its majestic surroundings, the resort offers a new kind of luxury all inclusive vacation. It is nothing short of extraordinary.Couples, families and friends who visit experience premiun service, discover gourmand dining and select from an impressive gamut of activities and sports. The resor´s natural setting and luxury amenities also make it the ideal locale for an incomparable wedding or honeymoon. In short, the Occidental Grand Papagayo is a perfect vacation spot for anyone and any reason. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, BookIt.com, Caribbean Online Mgt Corp., Cheap Tickets, Orbitz, Hotels.com, Priceline and Odigeo so you can book your Occidental Grand Papagayo reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Occidental Grand Papagayo Hotel Gulf Of Papagayo
- Occidental Grand Papagayo Gulf Of
- Occidental Grand Papagayo Costa Rica
- Grande Papagayo Costa Rica
- Grand Papagayo Liberia