“Exceeded expectations...” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #8 of 15 Hotels in Gulf of Papagayo
Madison, Wisconsin
“Exceeded expectations...”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 days ago NEW

My husband and I spent 10 days at the Occidental Grand Papagayo for our honeymoon and while I was a bit leary initially of All inclusive resort service, I was pleasantly surprised with our trip. The service was excellent. The staff was very friendly and kind, they genuinely wanted to make sure our stay was amazing.
The food was great - very fresh and many varieties to choose from. We stayed in a room with a view of the Gulf, building 23 and it was amazing! Great views of the Gulf, the howler monkeys in the trees right outside our windows and of the other local wildlife!
There were 76 stairs from the pool up to the main lobby where the gift shop, lobby and restaurants were located - they could be a bit much but if you called the front desk for a ride, it was no problem. There was quite a bit of walking, but the rides were offered at any time day or night. We went towards the end of tourist season and I think that may be why the service was so spectacular - this resort was not super crowded. We loved it!
The Italian restaurant was delicious - service was impeccable!
The beach was smallish, but not crowded and the locals were very nice and pleasant. The local vendors would approach only once and were not pushy. That was a plus! I wish someone would have told me I wouldn't have been able to bring back my seashells as I spent a lot of time collecting them only to have them confiscated at the airport. :(

Two things that could be improved upon - 1) they need an ATM. Some things require cash and when we ran low, we had to have the driver stop in the nearest town on the way to the airport to get some. That would be a nice addition to the resort. 2) the Giftshop was quite pricey for basics (water, soda, beer, Kleenex etc). I understand that the jewelry and local trinkets were expensive, that is fine but the extras that maybe one forgot at home or needed more of were WAY too pricey. Those could be a bit more reasonable.

We spent minimal time in the pool as it was very hot during the day and at the beach there were nice trees with shade. They also had lounge chairs at the beach and drinks were offered.

We thought the service was the best ever, from the Maid service to the guy who was working on the paths with a leaf blower, that stopped when we were walking by. Everyone had a smile and answers to questions were just a phone call away!

Room Tip: Upgrade to the rooms with an ocean view - our room was in building 23 and it was larger than the reg...
  • Stayed April 2015, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (514)
  • Polish first
Monroe, Wisconsin
2 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 days ago NEW

We just got back from a 7 night stay had a good time but with a little work it could have been so much better first this hotel is small and simple which is nice but with that being said it is limited very few restaurant's and or bar's. The rooms are out dated but not dirty just old (think super 8 ). No TP holders. We had an ocean deluxe which should have been called the roof in front of us deluxe. It does have a lot of steps and walking but that we liked it was nice to move around some. Knowing what we paid to be here I am not sure what they are doing with all the money because they aren't putting it into the resort ! Lastly being non royal club, we felt treated differently we couldn't get a drink from the pools bar, not as good of towels , limited mini fridge options etc. You receive colored wrist bands depending on your level.

Pro's :
Tiki bar bartender was the best on the resort! He had to fill the orders for the people on the beach & at the tiki bar
Animals
Night entertainment music was ok, local musicians
We went through Delta, the rep. @ the resort was great

Cons:
No top shelf drinks available to not royal club/ very little alcohol in the drinks!!!!!
Time share/Vacation club sales pitch by staff
Small beach ( public ), but okay
Small pools area No bar because, we were not royal club.
Rooms are dated and small
They offer 4 restaurants but normally only two would be open at a time.
Customer service and front desk staff seemed bothered when you have questions
Food is Very limited !!

Room Tip: Not sure, we stayed in building 21. Wifi was free for ocean view rooms. We did see a vacation club r...
Hutchinson, Kansas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 days ago NEW

We enjoyed our stay at Grand Papagyo very much. The staff were very helpful and polite. House keeping were efficient. Meals were average to above average nothing exceptional. The beach was nice and never very crowded. A lot of walking and a lot of steps. We went on a couple of outings not through the resort and enjoyed them a lot. Larry and Carlos on the beach are a good resource for outings. Best part was the staff at Grand Papagyo. We left an orthopedic device behind. We asked them via email to find it and ship it to us and they did. Very grateful and thankful for their exceptional customer service.

Room Tip: closest to the beach is the best.
  • Stayed March 2015, traveled as a couple
Brackettville
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 days ago NEW

I went to the Occidental Grand Papagayo because my friend had a time share through Occidental.
My expectations were not very high but I was pleasantly surprised. They had a very good recreation program that was run by a bunch of high energy young people, led by Victor. Yen led many of the activities and was always up and friendly as were Michael Carolina and Katherin. I was able to say active and healthy. I also enjoyed the One Club, led my the ever young Raul. All of the people were very helpful, the bartenders were also helpful even with a non drinker. I enjoyed the food and had many fruits and vegetables to choose from. Linda in the front office was delightful and made me feel at home.
The property needed some updating and was being painted but I would go there again.
Thank you to all the wonderful staff for making me feel at home.

Room Tip: The room we had overlooked the beach it was a one bedroom suite which meant that my friend and I eac...
  • Stayed March 2015, traveled with friends
Lynda Anne W, Guest Experience Manager at Occidental Grand Papagayo, responded to this review, 3 days ago
Dear P R R,

Thank you for taking the time to share your recent vacation experience here at Occidental Grand Papagayo. We are so pleased that you had a great vacation and enjoyed the cuisine we had to offer in all our restaurants. We`re happy that you found the intimacy and friendliness of our "Adults Only" concept so appealing. It`s great to see that our staff contributed so much to your stay and I`ll be sure to pass along your comments to my colleagues. Your kind words will certainly motivate them and they`ll really appreciate the mention. It was our pleasure to attend you throughout your stay and we do hope we will have an opportunity in the future to welcome you back here with us. Kind regards and best wishes from all the team here at Occidental Grand Papagayo
Atlanta, Georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

This resort was probably one of the best I've visited thus far for my annual birthday trip to a different Caribbean destination. The service was top-notch thanks to front-desk employees like Priscilla and Noelia. As a vegetarian, I was able to choose from a variety of foods during meals. The resort itself was lovely and not really far from the beach in terms of walking distance as initially told. There was nightly entertainment in terms of live music and some daily activities on the resort. Lastly, I enjoyed the fact that it is an all-adult resort where everyone is in a laid-back mode and it wasn't crowded during my stay. I could definitely see myself returning to visit in the future.

• Stayed April 2015, traveled solo
Lynda Anne W, Guest Experience Manager at Occidental Grand Papagayo, responded to this review, 5 days ago
Dear ChiSistah,

Thank you for taking the time to share your recent vacation experience here at Occidental Grand Papagayo. We are so pleased to read that you had a great vacation and enjoyed our "Adults Only" concept and the intimacy and friendliness of our resort. We are so proud to see that our staff contributed so much to your vacation experience and I`ll be sure to pass along your comments to all my colleagues that you have mentioned, especially to Priscilla and Noelia. They`ll really appreciate the mention and your kind words will motivate them to continue to offer this excellent service to all our guests. We are grateful for all the resort features you highlight in your review and for the information and you have provided our future guests. It was our pleasure to attend you both throughout your stay and we do hope we will have the opportunity to welcome you back here with us again in the near future. Kind regards and best wishes from all at Occidental Grand Papagayo.
Seaford, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

Like so many people unsure at first with so many in different reviews on this hotel shall we book or shall we not. Being a season traveler I am so glad I did no hotel is perfect. I upgraded to Royal Club which came with some extras having booked this before my arrival. The room I was given was one of the master suites 10.01 spacious areas and fantastic views plus all the wild life that this resort as to offer. I spoke with some of the management team who reassured me that they would be on hand to take care of any problems that may arise during my 14 day stay which turned out to be very small ones and dealt with straight away. In my opinion there was more positives then negatives they really try and make your holiday memorable. The staff, food, service and drinks was not an issue in fact the premium brands had a fantastic choice and on top of that we meet so many lovely people from Canada and USA. I could go on but I would recommend hotel as a great location.

Room Tip: Upgrade to Royal Club
  • Stayed April 2015, traveled as a couple
Lynda Anne W, Guest Expereience Manager at Occidental Grand Papagayo, responded to this review, 4 days ago
Dear BillT69,

Thank you for taking the time to share your recent vacation experience here at Occidental Grand Papagayo. We are so pleased to read that you had a great stay and enjoyed all our flora and fauna living in our natural surroundings. We are very grateful for all the resort features you highlight in your review and for the information and great tips you have provided our future guests. Your descriptive comments will prove helpful to many. Thank you so much for bringing your issues to our attention straight away in resort. This way we can react and take the immediate necessary action to resolve or improve matters. It was our pleasure to attend you throughout your stay and we do hope we will have an opportunity in the future to welcome you back here with us. Kind regards and best wishes from all the team here at Occidental Grand Papagayo.
Wausau, Wisconsin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

This resort is an adult only resort and we could not have been more happy. The people are so friendly and made our trip a unique experience. It was not rowdy, loud, or over-populated...it was PERFECT. I would highly recommend this resort to anyone looking for a good relaxing time. The food was AMAZING, even the buffet was incredible. There are not a ton of bars/restaurants but what is there is wonderful. I'll admit we were worried about the idea that there is only one pool and a couple bars/restaurants but it worked out beautifully. No need to worry about that at all. A swim up bar would be nice, but it's really not necessary. My husband and I are fit and in our mid 30's and had no problems making our way around the resort but please know that to get to the main lobby, restaurants, bars, and guest service it's up hill with a good number of stairs. The beach is absolutely beautiful, this is where we spent most of our time. Lastly, my husband and I got a couples massage it was AMAZING! Highly recommended!

• Stayed April 2015, traveled as a couple
Lynda Anne W, Guest Experience Manager at Occidental Grand Papagayo, responded to this review, 4 days ago
Dear Ateam2012,

Thank you for taking the time to share your recent vacation experience here at Occidental Grand Papagayo. We are so pleased that you had a great vacation and enjoyed the cuisine we had to offer in all our restaurants. We`re happy that you found the intimacy and friendliness of our exclusive "Adults Only" concept so appealing. It`s great to see that our staff contributed so much to your stay and I`ll be sure to pass along your comments to my colleagues. We are grateful to you for sharing your descriptive and thorough review of the resort. All the resort features you highlight and the information and great tips you have provided our future guests will prove most helpful to them. It was our pleasure to attend you throughout your stay and we do hope we will have an opportunity in the future to welcome you back here with us. Kind regards and best wishes from all the team here at Occidental Grand Papagayo

Been to Occidental Grand Papagayo? Share your experiences!