We stayed for a total of 8 days (Monday to Tuesday) for our Honeymoon.
The Weather: The weather takes a little bit to get use to the humidity, but sunny and warm the whole time. It rained maybe one time for less then an hour.
The Food: So many people complained about the food, but we loved the food. We ate at all three restaurants. Our least favorite one was the Italian surprisingly. It was nice to try new food each day and to have options. We def recommend setting up your meals the day you get there because they do fill up. The buffet was great to eat at though; I am still craving the food! The drinks were pretty good, you could go up to the bar at the Snack place, the lobby bar, beer in the room, and drinks at the buffet. We loved the Sweet Iced Tea, the Blue Lagoon, and the Pura Vida.
The Room: We were so happy with our room. We stayed in room 2301 with a great view of the beach. We were far enough away from the pool, but also an easy walk to the pool. A lot of people complained about walking, but we actually enjoyed it. There are these cars that drive around that we took a few times. Our room was great- the bed, the bathroom, and the balcony were all in good shape. The A/C did only turn on when you were in the room and a couple of times we had to re-open the door to reset it. We did leave a couple of dollar tips (about $3) every couple of days and we would get a full fridge (beer/soda/water).
The Excursions: We went on a couple of excursions. The first one was the White Water Rafting (through Swiss Travels). A nice bus took us to the Swiss Travels headquarters then we switched to a nice van/bus. Our tour guide (I am sorry I forget his name) was great! He informed us a lot about Costa Rica. Although it was an hr or so ride there and back it went quickly (especially sleeping on the way back, it’s exhausting!) This was def my favorite excursion. The weather was great and they provided a great lunch.
The second excursion was the Mega Tour (through Swiss Travels again). It was zip lining, a water slide, horse back riding, and a hot springs. It was a long day, but lots of fun activities. They also had good transportation (A/C vans) and a good lunch! Our tour guide actually stopped at (one of the 2) best places to get coffee because I wanted to bring some home.
Lastly we did the ATV tours (on 2 separate days because we loved it so much). This was through Easy Tours. The first time we did this we had one other group. We saw howler monkeys a couple of times. On the second day we went on a private tour through an area they had not taken anyone out in like 3 months (my husband was experienced on ATVs- and you just have to ask). It was def dustier the second day, but we saw more monkeys. Both tour guides were amazing! I wish we could do it again!
The Staff: The staffs were great from our ride from the airport, to checking in at the hotel, to our meals and room service. Everyone was so sweet and appreciative.
Random: We had the honeymoon package. It was great from when we first got to the hotel to our last night. We wore blue bracelets (for honeymoon/or anniversary) so whenever we went to a meal the staff would congratulate us. We had champagne and fresh fruit in our room and chocolate covered strawberries. We had a lovely letter welcoming us. Also with the package we had a romantic dinner (we had at the oriental restaurant). They even gave us a cake (but we were so full from dinner they delivered it to our room). On our last night we received a knock on our door and they had delivered a hand-painted piece of wood with a beautiful painting as a souvenir. The most amazing part of the honeymoon package was the free 30-min massages. I wish we upgraded it to an hour. It was so relaxing!
The gift shop is def expensive. I was craving American food so bad I paid $5 for a $1 bag of Doritos. We also sent out 2 postcards back to the US and it cost around $7 to buy and ship (although they were never reached to the people we sent it to- so I don’t recommend sending them).
The animals were great- the birds, and raccoons and a coatamundi. The bugs thankfully were not bad at all. I only got bit on an excursion.
The hotel itself is beautiful. It is an adult only resort, which was really nice! They were changing the kid’s pool to a Jacuzzi, but honestly it was right by the pool and you couldn’t even hear the construction. I bet it is done by now anyways. There were planned activities you could take part in (pool volleyball, etc). It was fun to watch others, but I only participated in the towel folding, which was fun!
The beach was great. We normally went out later in the morning when the tide was out. They have nice chairs to lay out on, and it was fun to walk the rocks. We never did try out the snorkeling or the kayaks, but they looked fun. The water was so beautiful!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- On the unspoiled northern Pacific coast of Costa Rica(home to wild parrots and endagered sea turtles), striking volcanic cliffs dramatically descend to powdery sand beaches and crystalline coves. Elegant and respectfully situaded within this breathtaking haven in the five-star Occidental Grand papagayo. Reverently aligned with its majestic surroundings, the resort offers a new kind of luxury all inclusive vacation. It is nothing short of extraordinary.Couples, families and friends who visit experience premiun service, discover gourmand dining and select from an impressive gamut of activities and sports. The resor´s natural setting and luxury amenities also make it the ideal locale for an incomparable wedding or honeymoon. In short, the Occidental Grand Papagayo is a perfect vacation spot for anyone and any reason. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Travelocity, Booking.com, Orbitz, Priceline, Tingo, BookIt.com, Hotels.com, Odigeo and Otel so you can book your Occidental Grand Papagayo reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Occidental Grand Papagayo Hotel Gulf Of Papagayo
- Occidental Grand Papagayo Gulf Of
- Occidental Grand Papagayo Costa Rica
- Grande Papagayo Costa Rica
- Grand Papagayo Liberia