This is a beautiful property with helpful staff overall. I'm not typically one to leave reviews, however I feel this hotel/resort was a bit misleading in that it is listed as an ADULTS ONLY 18 and UP facility. I stayed at the resort on July 11th-16th 2014, and noticed children (id say 10 years or younger) also staying here. Dont get me wrong, I have kids, I love kids. But when the resort is listed as ADULTS only and I make reservations at this resort because of this perk, I found it extremely disappointing. The kids were participating in the evening activities (live music/dancing/entertainment) which made it awkward and took away from the experience... My friend and I ended up leaving the bar because of this reason on two separate nights. Additionally, the kids were naturally, running around the pool area, canonballs and whatnot as children do, but again, with this being listed as an adults only facility this felt unfair to me.
The second incident that happened was during our first day on the resort... you are issued wristbands whlie on the property which shows your package (ie all inclusive or access to VIP lounges etc) My friend and I paid to have access to the VIP lounges and bars and upon check in, were reminded that we had access to these restricted areas of the resort. So, naturally, we took advantage of checking these bars out. Immediately upon entering the upstairs lounge, we were told we couldnt be there. We were KICKED OUT! How embarassing. I even insisted that we had just checked in and were specifically told we could be in that lounge. Still. we were turned away. I brought this to the attention of the staff, and the employee from the lounge also came down to the lobby. The front desk personnel and the lounge employee argued for a few minutes about the color of my wristband, only in the end to be told we COULD be in the lounge. Sheesh! Annoying and embarassing to say the least.
The third and last issue of our stay was with our room. We booked through Apple Vacations and specifically booked a suite with two queen beds (I was traveling with a friend) Upon arrival we noticed immediately the room had only one bed. I called the guest services number and was told a manager would either call me right back or come and talk with me. Neither happened. Wanting to get our vacation started, we let this issue slide.
Returning home, I realized just how big these three issues were and although the property was nice, scenery beautiful and resort clean, these were fairly big hiccups in the grand scheme of things. I did let the front desk know about my experience prior to check out, only to receive a smile and an: "sorry..." I asked to see a manager before I left, however I was told the Manager was in Canada. I filled out the online survey that was sent to me the day I checked out with the above informaiton, however I have not received any contact from the hotel management. Im in the business of customer service... and this was poor to say the least. I hope others who visit this facility demand better from the management crew if they have similar issues. The biggest issue I had was the kids being allowed to stay on the adults only resort. Unexceptable!!!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- On the unspoiled northern Pacific coast of Costa Rica(home to wild parrots and endagered sea turtles), striking volcanic cliffs dramatically descend to powdery sand beaches and crystalline coves. Elegant and respectfully situaded within this breathtaking haven in the five-star Occidental Grand papagayo. Reverently aligned with its majestic surroundings, the resort offers a new kind of luxury all inclusive vacation. It is nothing short of extraordinary.Couples, families and friends who visit experience premiun service, discover gourmand dining and select from an impressive gamut of activities and sports. The resor´s natural setting and luxury amenities also make it the ideal locale for an incomparable wedding or honeymoon. In short, the Occidental Grand Papagayo is a perfect vacation spot for anyone and any reason. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, BookIt.com, Booking.com, Caribbean Online Mgt Corp., Orbitz, Cheap Tickets, Priceline, Travelocity and Hotels.com so you can book your Occidental Grand Papagayo reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Occidental Grand Papagayo Hotel Gulf Of Papagayo
- Occidental Grand Papagayo Gulf Of
- Occidental Grand Papagayo Costa Rica
- Grande Papagayo Costa Rica
- Grand Papagayo Liberia