“NOT adults only!” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #8 of 15 Hotels in Gulf of Papagayo
Grand Rapids, Michigan
“NOT adults only!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2014

This is a beautiful property with helpful staff overall. I'm not typically one to leave reviews, however I feel this hotel/resort was a bit misleading in that it is listed as an ADULTS ONLY 18 and UP facility. I stayed at the resort on July 11th-16th 2014, and noticed children (id say 10 years or younger) also staying here. Dont get me wrong, I have kids, I love kids. But when the resort is listed as ADULTS only and I make reservations at this resort because of this perk, I found it extremely disappointing. The kids were participating in the evening activities (live music/dancing/entertainment) which made it awkward and took away from the experience... My friend and I ended up leaving the bar because of this reason on two separate nights. Additionally, the kids were naturally, running around the pool area, canonballs and whatnot as children do, but again, with this being listed as an adults only facility this felt unfair to me.

The second incident that happened was during our first day on the resort... you are issued wristbands whlie on the property which shows your package (ie all inclusive or access to VIP lounges etc) My friend and I paid to have access to the VIP lounges and bars and upon check in, were reminded that we had access to these restricted areas of the resort. So, naturally, we took advantage of checking these bars out. Immediately upon entering the upstairs lounge, we were told we couldnt be there. We were KICKED OUT! How embarassing. I even insisted that we had just checked in and were specifically told we could be in that lounge. Still. we were turned away. I brought this to the attention of the staff, and the employee from the lounge also came down to the lobby. The front desk personnel and the lounge employee argued for a few minutes about the color of my wristband, only in the end to be told we COULD be in the lounge. Sheesh! Annoying and embarassing to say the least.

The third and last issue of our stay was with our room. We booked through Apple Vacations and specifically booked a suite with two queen beds (I was traveling with a friend) Upon arrival we noticed immediately the room had only one bed. I called the guest services number and was told a manager would either call me right back or come and talk with me. Neither happened. Wanting to get our vacation started, we let this issue slide.

Returning home, I realized just how big these three issues were and although the property was nice, scenery beautiful and resort clean, these were fairly big hiccups in the grand scheme of things. I did let the front desk know about my experience prior to check out, only to receive a smile and an: "sorry..." I asked to see a manager before I left, however I was told the Manager was in Canada. I filled out the online survey that was sent to me the day I checked out with the above informaiton, however I have not received any contact from the hotel management. Im in the business of customer service... and this was poor to say the least. I hope others who visit this facility demand better from the management crew if they have similar issues. The biggest issue I had was the kids being allowed to stay on the adults only resort. Unexceptable!!!

-Sara Paul
-Larison Snow

Room Tip: specify bed size and room layout! booked two queens and got 1 bed.... no help in changing rooms. S...
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (521)
  • Polish first
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2014

The staff is super friendly, the activities and members of the fun club are great. The buffetShout out to Jania and Allandro. Great selection at the buffet, the areas kept squeeky clean. At night they offered trivia with prizes, karaoke to loosen up, live music and the disco here was good to dance the night away

Stayed July 2014, traveled with friends
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2014

After spending 2 hours at the Allegro Papagayo we upgraded to the Grand. It was wonderful, the food was great, the staff was friendly. Everything was so clean and just wonderful. The views and beach were amazing. There was not one bad thing I could say about this place. We even went to the Spa for massages, they were great and so was the price. I could eat all meals at the buffet, we ate at all three restaurants and they were equally as great.

Room Tip: The rooms by the pool are a great location!
Tulsa, Oklahoma
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2014

We recently traveled to the Occidental Grand Papagayo for our 30th Wedding Anniversary. We booked this resort through our travel agent. After reading all the reviews I could find about this destination, I was a little nervous about where we were staying. Upon arrival of this amazing place, our week just continued to get better and better. We had NO issues with the air conditioning units as I had read on previous reviews. The rooms were very clean, the staff was better than you could possibly expect and I could not have been happier. Previous reviews indicated the stairs to the bars and restaurants were a problem. My husband and I had no issues with those but we like to walk to any destination if possible. If walking is a problem, there is a resort shuttle service that is more than happy to take you anywhere you want on the property. The only reason that this destination did not get the 5 stars it deserves was based on the food served during your stay. We did not go to Costa Rica for the food and the fact that it was not spectacular prevented me from over eating during our trip. Excellent choice for an adult only all-inclusive resort.

Room Tip: Ocean view rooms are terrific!
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2014

This was a short trip so it was indeed supposed to be a special one. We chose Grand Romance package which included Breakfast in bed and Romantic Dinner and a massage for two. The room was smaller than most average hotel rooms, the air conditioning unit was monitored by a sensor which meant anytime you opened the door it would automatically shut off. We took 3 baths the first night there it was so hot. The romantic Dinner was scheduled and we attended, however, after waiting for over 20 minutes to have our order taken because the waiter was too busy with the "Americans" to have the courtesy to at least address us and ask us to wait.. Dinner was cut short and we ended up leaving to the buffet restaurant for our honeymoon dinner. Breakfast arrived after breakfast and after we had already arrived from the dining area. Thanks to Roberto in guest services for at least trying to make everything right by offering to reschedule the dinner. We opted not to re-schedule. Big kudos to Liseth in the Buffet restaurant for delighting us with the best "lime" soufflé dessert ever. Overall, we managed to make it a fun stay and did go on the Katamaran and Fishing excursions and those were a blast. Special thanks to Karla in Reception.. She was a Gem. While our short visit to CR was not as long, we will most likely visit again. Aside the excellent staff, we will l not be considering Grand Papagayo.

Lexington, Kentucky
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2014

Great resort. Food was excellent. Staff wonderful!! They are still working on it some to make it a wonderful ADULTS ONLY resort but we really enjoyed it!!! Its a very "hilly" resort. No need to go to gym. Would like to recognize the "fun crew" which kept us entertained everyday at the pool and about the hotel. Thanks to Yendry, Alejandro, Jania, Jeudy, Brayan, and Gerald. Helped make our trip extra special!!! We met a couple that were staying in the other Occidental in Costa Rica and came to our resort and said it was Heaven!!! Will go back again (hopefully soon!!)

Room Tip: Rooms in building 16 and 17 you feel like you have a "backyard" that spills into the Pacif...
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled with friends
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2014

Elegant meets exotic at this fantastic hotel. Within moments of arriving at the hotel we were greeted with charming smiles and delicious cocktails. The view of the gulf is gorgeous. Everyday different tropical animals surprised me by popping up in different places varying from the hotel to the beach. The hotel also does a great job of hosting various activities from dance lessons to kayaking to pool volleyball. They have activities to keep your scheduled full of fun. The location of the hotel is also very close to the city of Liberia and other little towns with markets. Finally, the hotel's service goes above and beyond. All of the bartenders, waiters, drivers, and activity leaders are phenomenal. My personal favorites are Wilmer (Bartender), Mikael (Server), Maria (Waitress), and Emmanual (doorman/driver). All of these people proved to be kind, enchanting, informative, and incredibly hard working.

The only thing about the trip is that it is quite expensive to travel by taxi to other places. So bring extra money for that.

Overall, the whole experience is unforgettable and something I plan on doing again.

• Stayed June 2014

Been to Occidental Grand Papagayo? Share your experiences!