“Great view and accomodations” 5 of 5 stars

Occidental Grand Papagayo
4.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Playa Buena, 485000, Costa Rica   |
Ranked #8 of 15 Hotels in Gulf of Papagayo
Almaty, Kazakhstan
“Great view and accomodations”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 26, 2014

[Stayed 4/2009]
Excellent stay at this resort, after spending a few days at the Villa Blanca Resort in the cloud forest and then the Lost Iguana Resort & Spa. The room was quiet and clean, the plethora of fruits and seafood was great.

The only "con" to this resort was the lack of wi-fi in rooms. You have to sit up at the main lobby meeting area to get wi-fi connection.

Room Tip: No Wi-Fi in your room.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (521)
  • Polish first
Red Deer, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2014

We were a large group (70+) here for a wedding. View from this hotel was exceptional. Layout is well laid out, everything is central, was easy to meet up with our group. Well organized activities to do (sunset walk, volleyball, dancing lessons, snorkelling, etc). Lots of options for taking tours off site. Cocoa Beach was close and a $40 cab ride return for 4 people. Lots of shopping in Cocoa Beach? Lots of helpful people working at the resort, Bryan, Meribell, Carlos (bartender upstairs), Emmanuel, Michael, Gerald, Candy,Javiers). The food in the buffet and restaurant was excellent, lots of options. Al-a-Carts were so so. Although there were LOTS of stairs and uphill walking, there were always carts back and forth to give you rides. We were in building 14 with upstairs ocean view. Distance was a bit far but we were never in the rooms much but when we were the view was great. There was lots of wildlife and birds to see all over the resort. But....pool needs cleaning more often, the fridge is more like a cooler, didn't work very well. I was a bit nervous that in building 12, 14, 15 were at the far end of resort. It appeared that doors had been broken into in the past. The safety aspects at the resort could be improved, eg. One of our group lost their key and went they went to get a new key there was no asking of names, they key was just redone for the room no questions asked. Cleaning and how the rooms were restocked were not at the same level throughout the resort. Cleaning staff perhaps needs more people, floors could have used more cleaning, sinks, etc.. The communication skills good be improved, many servers did not understand basic English, some just did not want to try and help you. We did not find the snorkelling to be very good. We did like to sit at the ocean, lots of chairs. There are locals at the beach but if you just say no to the massages, or sellers they leave you alone.
Note: do not leave any patio doors open or you will have wildlife and critters into the room.

Room Tip: Ocean view is a great, it is quiet and private in building 12, 14, 15.. If you are not an able bodie...
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled with friends
Litchfield, Minnesota
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2014

My husband and I stayed for 1 full week in Feb, 2014 as a 15 year anniversary/2nd honeymoon. We had a FABULOUS time here! We stayed in an ocean view room, which I HIGHLY recommend that you spend the extra money to upgrade to. We also received 'gold' bracelets that got us access into the club level bar and free internet there in a lovely contemporary room with a fabulous view. I don't think our experience would have been as positive without the upgrades. The staff were wonderful, the food was FANTASTIC, and the drinks/service very good. The only criticism I will offer is the pool is very basic and there is no swim up bar and we did not utilize the beach at all. But we were not there for the beaches - rather for the variety of flora and fauna and the friendly people in Costa Rica. Yes, there are a lot of steps to go up and down but the view at the top was worth walking up to! The resort is very close to the airport and I also highly recommend you spend extra money to go on the tours/excursions offered. There are so many!! Head on down to Coco Beach or further down the way to Tamarindo. Costa Rica in general is an amazing country!!

Room Tip: Ocean View Room Upgrade is a Must!!
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Minneapolis, Minnesota
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 23, 2014

I stayed at the resort on Feb. 14th-21st. I was a little worried with all the reviews that I had read. I was very satisfied with the resort and it met what I was looking for. The food was great, especially the fruit! I stayed in building 20 and I had no problems with my room except a few ants. The view was wonderful looking out at the water and watching the wildlife right outside the door. I spent most of my time by the ocean when I was at the resort and there were no problems finding a chair. The staff were very friendly and helpful if needed. The entertainment was organized and there is lots to do. Thanks to Javier, Bryan, Carlos, Yeudy, and Candy for their hard work with the entertainment! I recommend the sunset walk as the view is beautiful! I had brought a flashlight, because it was recommended in someone else's review and it came in handy as the area had lost power for a little bit one night. The walking or stairs didn't bother me, because I considered it my exercise for the day. I booked a trip to Palo Verde through Edgar on the beach. The tour was excellent with lots of wildlife seen and a great lunch after. I also booked a private tour with Tours Your Way to Monteverde to go on the hanging bridges and zip line. Ariel was my driver/guide and he was excellent to work with. He is very knowledgeable about Costa Rica. He found animals I would have never seen had I did it alone. They are true to what they say that it is "Tours Your Way". They modified things to fit what I was looking for. I highly recommend them. This is a great resort for a holiday.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled solo
Dallas, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 23, 2014

Was just there last week. Beautiful resort.
When we first arrived, we were given room in building 14 with oceanview from the room. The downside is we have to be picked up and drop off as it is too far from the lobby area and we have to wait for the ride.
So we asked Juan if we can move to different room closer to the lobby. And he did find available room for us and moved our luggage to the new room in short time.
When we had problem with our AC and safe, the technicians came right away to fix it.

Buffet food was fine, Oriental restaurant was great but didn't get to try the Italian restaurant. The mexican weed at the snack bar area where we had company dinner was not good (cold). I think they forgot to light up the sterno oil for food warmers.

Room Tip: if you like convenience, ask for room near the lobby. If you like the oceanview, not easy walk to t...
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
Odessa, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 19, 2014

My husband and I were redirected to this resort because of last minute changes to our plans, on our part, and we are so glad. It was a beautiful resort and a wonderful week-long stay for us. The view of the water from our front window was impressive...we'd sit outside just to look out over the water at everyone kayaking and jet skiing. It was so wonderful and a place we will definitely return to for a relaxing stay.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Swan Hills, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 19, 2014

It was just what we were looking for nice and small and quite the rooms need a bit if work but the people and the food were just great. The staff were very friendly and helped you when asked. O problems. We took all of our day trips with a tour guide named Larry he was awesome. Took us were ever we wanted and would stop and show us things we didn't even know were there. Us and the couple we want with found him very interesting and informative, saved money going thru him instead on the hotel. Highly recommend seeking him out he can be found on the beach in a blue shirt with his company on the front it is called Unique Tours. He showed us a amazing time we all miss you already.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with friends

Been to Occidental Grand Papagayo? Share your experiences!