We chose the Occidental Grand Papagayo because very good friends of ours suggested it. We did research other venues, but we liked this one the best. We had never been to Costa Rica. Our friends gave us a caveat that they had not been there in 10 years, still it exceeded our expectations. Harold, the local wedding coordinator was amazing. He was comforting, helpful and stayed on his toes every step of the way. I was stressed about how everything would come together since we were doing a destination wedding. When we got there two days before the wedding Harold met with us and our friend who is a wedding/destination event planner, Omar Hamilton. Our friend helped us coordinate a lot of the long distance details.
Harold was also funny, which helped put us at ease. He speaks fluent English, and some other languages I think. We went in the rainy season and it did not rain at all at our wedding, or our outdoor reception, but there was a backup plan in case it did. The people who worked at the hotel treated us like royalty. And they even encouraged us to practice our broken Spanish. My father is on a walker and they were very helpful to him.
The day of the wedding was beautiful. It was on the beach, and before I (the bride) came down apparently the tide was coming in but it stopped. Talk about a God moment. The lawyer who officiated our wedding was nice and pleasant, and he did his job because we are officially man and wife. Tee-hee. Because we are Christian we had a friend who is a minister say a few words at the beginning, which they allowed. He couldn’t perform the service because it would not have been legal.
The ceremony and ensuing reception were beautiful, and the staff treated us like royalty, and continued to do so during the rest of our honeymoon stay. Oh yes and the food was delicious to me! We opted to have a friend DJ so I can’t speak to the local music. The only thing that was lost in translation was our photographer (a local one through the hotel) didn’t explain his services well. So our expectations were not fully met in that respect, but we managed to come to a compromise. Outside of that it was wonderful, and we definitely plan to return to the Occidental Grand Papagayo.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- On the unspoiled northern Pacific coast of Costa Rica(home to wild parrots and endagered sea turtles), striking volcanic cliffs dramatically descend to powdery sand beaches and crystalline coves. Elegant and respectfully situaded within this breathtaking haven in the five-star Occidental Grand papagayo. Reverently aligned with its majestic surroundings, the resort offers a new kind of luxury all inclusive vacation. It is nothing short of extraordinary.Couples, families and friends who visit experience premiun service, discover gourmand dining and select from an impressive gamut of activities and sports. The resor´s natural setting and luxury amenities also make it the ideal locale for an incomparable wedding or honeymoon. In short, the Occidental Grand Papagayo is a perfect vacation spot for anyone and any reason. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Travelocity, Caribbean Online Mgt Corp., BookIt.com, Booking.com, Hotels.com, Cheap Tickets, getaroom.com, Priceline, Orbitz, Agoda and Odigeo so you can book your Occidental Grand Papagayo reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Occidental Grand Papagayo Hotel Gulf Of Papagayo
- Occidental Grand Papagayo Gulf Of
- Occidental Grand Papagayo Costa Rica
- Grande Papagayo Costa Rica
- Grand Papagayo Liberia