We were at the Grand for a week in mid March for our daughter's wedding and we were not disappointed.
Some of the reviews I read prior to leaving made me wonder - but after being there I can't imagine that those people stayed at the same place.
There is lots of walking and up and down stairs - so be mindful if you have mobility issues - however the hotel has a number of golf cart type vehicles to take you wherever you want to go and they are happy to do it!
The beach is very different from usual white sand - it is striated with black sand [I imagine from volcanic residue] but this really adds to the character. Beach is clean, great swimming...pool is lovely - lots of chairs and the staff offer lots of activity - but leave you alone if you want to just veg.
Our room was lovely - though I understand a few are still being upgraded. Kept very clean - as was the entire resort.
Food - not an issue - lots of choice of good, healthy and palatable food at the buffet. The two other restaurants did not disappoint either...make sure you book them early after your arrival.
The most important thing to mention was the staff - they were amazing...friendly....helpful and very professional. Special mention to Harold and Katrina!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- On the unspoiled northern Pacific coast of Costa Rica(home to wild parrots and endagered sea turtles), striking volcanic cliffs dramatically descend to powdery sand beaches and crystalline coves. Elegant and respectfully situaded within this breathtaking haven in the five-star Occidental Grand papagayo. Reverently aligned with its majestic surroundings, the resort offers a new kind of luxury all inclusive vacation. It is nothing short of extraordinary.Couples, families and friends who visit experience premiun service, discover gourmand dining and select from an impressive gamut of activities and sports. The resor´s natural setting and luxury amenities also make it the ideal locale for an incomparable wedding or honeymoon. In short, the Occidental Grand Papagayo is a perfect vacation spot for anyone and any reason. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Orbitz, Expedia, Hotels.com, Cheap Tickets, BookIt.com, Caribbean Online Mgt Corp., Priceline, getaroom.com, Despegar.com, Booking.com, TripOnline SA and Tingo so you can book your Occidental Grand Papagayo reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Occidental Grand Papagayo Hotel Gulf Of Papagayo
- Occidental Grand Papagayo Gulf Of
- Occidental Grand Papagayo Costa Rica
- Grande Papagayo Costa Rica
- Grand Papagayo Liberia