-I was reading the reviews for almost a year before we went and they are either very good or very bad so I really wasn't sure what to expect, but overall it was an amazing vacation. The resort in general was really pretty, the room my husband and I stayed in was about a 5 minute walk from the pool, and about the same to the lobby once we figured out a shortcut. The shuttle service was always around and quick to pick us up when we called. This isn't much of a party resort so if you're looking for that I'd pick a different resort or head down to coco beach which $40 round trip cab ride. Two waters bottles and two beers are stocked every second day and no more. If you keep a bottle you can get it filled at the bars or restaurants or whatever. There are water bottles at the store in the resort but they're a bit pricey. Sometimes I'd just bring back a cup or two at the end of the night and drink 'em up or put them in the fridge. The booze is watered down but I didn't care too much, straight shots if you really want to get drunk haha. There is one pool, and there was always chairs, shade, and towels. No swim up bar but the waiter was around often, and the drinks weren't too far of a walk just pick up a few extra while your there.
Food - I really enjoyed the food, the buffet is smaller than other all-inclusives I've been too but the selection did vary and there was a lot of food that was delicious. The only food I really didn't like was the hunks of meat, and that's only because it was over cooked and chewy, the fish and shredded meat was awesome though. Lots of fresh fruit at all meals, omelettes, pancakes, french toast, bacon, cheeses and meats for breakfast. Supper always changed, italian, asian, costa rican, etc. The snack bar at the beach often had fried stuff and was open noon until 6 or 7 I think. Pizza comes out at 430-5ish, and someone suggested in one of the other reviews, if you're planning on drinking, since there is no food available after 10pm I believe, bring a plate of pizza to your room and put it in the fridge for drunkin' munchies.
Room- Our room was clean and renovated. There were a few ants but nothing too crazy. There were monkeys and coatis outside our room a couple times, super neat.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- On the unspoiled northern Pacific coast of Costa Rica(home to wild parrots and endagered sea turtles), striking volcanic cliffs dramatically descend to powdery sand beaches and crystalline coves. Elegant and respectfully situaded within this breathtaking haven in the five-star Occidental Grand papagayo. Reverently aligned with its majestic surroundings, the resort offers a new kind of luxury all inclusive vacation. It is nothing short of extraordinary.Couples, families and friends who visit experience premiun service, discover gourmand dining and select from an impressive gamut of activities and sports. The resor´s natural setting and luxury amenities also make it the ideal locale for an incomparable wedding or honeymoon. In short, the Occidental Grand Papagayo is a perfect vacation spot for anyone and any reason. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Caribbean Online Mgt Corp., BookIt.com, Cheap Tickets, Booking.com, Hotels.com, getaroom.com, Orbitz, Priceline, Odigeo and Tingo so you can book your Occidental Grand Papagayo reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Occidental Grand Papagayo Hotel Gulf Of Papagayo
- Occidental Grand Papagayo Gulf Of
- Occidental Grand Papagayo Costa Rica
- Grande Papagayo Costa Rica
- Grand Papagayo Liberia