There is a lot to like in relationship to the cost for this resort. It had a good mix of guests of different ages - honeymooners, empty nesters, and a few old folks like us. It is not a good place for people who have a hard time with steps, etc. There were virtually no guests with kids when we were there. Many of the rooms are in five-room buildings spread through the resort, each with a view and patio. The rooms were clean, and in pretty good working order. The food in the specialty restaurants was very good. In the main restaurant, I noticed that many of the guests seemed happy, but we found it mediocre - maybe because we are west coast food snobs. You can get espresso drinks if you ask. We left tips at each meal and in our room and had good service. (We brought $200 in ones and fives)
It rained every day we were there - our luck choosing mid October in a late, wet rainy season. The beach was beautiful at low tide and when the sun was out. At high tide, the beach nearly disappeared. The resort is pretty isolated. We took three excursions through the United Vacations rep at the resort. We really liked the one to Nicarauga, and to the hot springs/rain forest - partly because the guide we had gave us college-lecture level information. But they were very long days - 12 hours or more.
So, if you are on a budget, just want a romantic getaway to lie on the beach or by the pool, and are not food-fussy, it is great.
- Also Known As:
- Occidental Grand Papagayo Hotel Gulf Of Papagayo
- Occidental Grand Papagayo Hotel
- Grand Papagayo
- Occidental Grand Papagayo Gulf Of
- Occidental Grand Papagayo Costa Rica
- Grande Papagayo Costa Rica
- Grand Papagayo Liberia
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- On the unspoiled northern Pacific coast of Costa Rica(home to wild parrots and endagered sea turtles), striking volcanic cliffs dramatically descend to powdery sand beaches and crystalline coves. Elegant and respectfully situaded within this breathtaking haven in the five-star Occidental Grand papagayo. Reverently aligned with its majestic surroundings, the resort offers a new kind of luxury all inclusive vacation. It is nothing short of extraordinary.Couples, families and friends who visit experience premiun service, discover gourmand dining and select from an impressive gamut of activities and sports. The resor´s natural setting and luxury amenities also make it the ideal locale for an incomparable wedding or honeymoon. In short, the Occidental Grand Papagayo is a perfect vacation spot for anyone and any reason. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Hotels.com, Tingo, Travelocity, Caribbean Online Mgt Corp., BookIt.com, TripOnline SA, Priceline, Otel, Agoda and Venere so you can book your Occidental Grand Papagayo reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.