They say this is a 5-star resort, and it may be 5-stars in Central America but by US standards I think it's closer to 3 1/2. That being said, it's a great place to stay. If you want 5-stars the Four Seasons is just across the bay (and starts at $800 a night!). The Occidental Grand is beautiful, well maintained, and clean. I would recommend it to a friend in a heart-beat.
The location is PERFECT--20 minutes from the Liberia airport and Very well situated for taking day trips. We took our day trips with AVISPAS ADVENTURES, be sure to check them out next on Trip Advisor!
The food was very good. We ate all of our dinners at the buffet! They have a different theme every night and we didn't want to miss any of them. This was the fanciest buffet I've EVER seen! When we weren't traveling, we ate our lunches at the snack bar down by the pool. There is a plentiful and tasty selection daily. Kudos to the Occidental Grand on their food.
Our room, (#302), was nice and clean. We had a pretty canopy king size bed that was very comfy (and I'm picky about my sleeping arrangements!). Keep in mind, you don't spend much time IN your room.
The pool is nice as you can see in the pics. We played lots of volleyball with new friends. Like most All Incl resorts there are daily activities in and out of the pool. Be sure to sign up early for the kayaking tour as there are only 4 kayaks to be had.
The beach is pretty and large. Nice and long if you like to take walks. You can snorkel right off the beach or just lounge around. I heard a lot of comments about there not being enough lounge chairs at the pool and beach but we never had any problems.
We had a nice couples massage in the tiki huts down by the beach. We were traveling with friends of ours, it was their 20 year anniversary and our 15 year anniversary. Four forty-somethings had an unbelievable time in C.R. thanks to the Occidental Grand Papagayo and Avispas Adventures.
Feel free to contact me with any questions at all--I'd be glad to chat or offer some insight.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- On the unspoiled northern Pacific coast of Costa Rica(home to wild parrots and endagered sea turtles), striking volcanic cliffs dramatically descend to powdery sand beaches and crystalline coves. Elegant and respectfully situaded within this breathtaking haven in the five-star Occidental Grand papagayo. Reverently aligned with its majestic surroundings, the resort offers a new kind of luxury all inclusive vacation. It is nothing short of extraordinary.Couples, families and friends who visit experience premiun service, discover gourmand dining and select from an impressive gamut of activities and sports. The resor´s natural setting and luxury amenities also make it the ideal locale for an incomparable wedding or honeymoon. In short, the Occidental Grand Papagayo is a perfect vacation spot for anyone and any reason. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, BookIt.com, Caribbean Online Mgt Corp., Cheap Tickets, Orbitz, Hotels.com, Priceline and Odigeo so you can book your Occidental Grand Papagayo reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Occidental Grand Papagayo Hotel Gulf Of Papagayo
- Occidental Grand Papagayo Gulf Of
- Occidental Grand Papagayo Costa Rica
- Grande Papagayo Costa Rica
- Grand Papagayo Liberia