First of all we didn't get a very good introduction to Costa Rica in that we travelled with First Choice (excellent) we landed at the given time only to take off again as there had been wide spread flooding in the area and they could not get us to our resort. We went to Riviera Maya in Mexico. Which was great as we have never been.
We arrived at the Grand two days late, in the pouring rain and dark. We had a Royal Club Junior Suite which was very nice, we changed our room the next day to one in a more quiet area, both great rooms. We had a bath, walk in shower, lounge area and bedroom with a patio, wine and fruit arrived the following day. The maid had been everyday before we got back from breakfast and did a great job of cleaning.
We had heavy rain for the first few days and quite a few external repairs were required to the roof, we had a family of racoons living in ours who were none too happy with having their entrance repaired. These guys were cute and came every night for fruit along with a skunk and coati. We saw massive Iguanas, squirrels, howler monkeys, toads and a wonderful display of parakeets every evening in their hundreds.
The wildlife on this resort was fantastic we saw 29 species of bird including a Motmot which is a lovely bird, humming birds, woodpeckers and oriel. Butterflies were everywhere.
The weather did pick up and we had some lovely sunny days, I can't comment on the pool area as there was so much to do we didn't spend anytime at the pool, there always seemed to be loads going on down there.
We couldn't fault the food and we are really fussy, we ate breakfast, lunch and dinner in the buffet when we were on site, we did try the Italian but the tuna starter was raw not my thing.
The pool buffet was also great loads of choice.
We spent a lot of time in the Royal Club bar with Gerardo who was fantastic and great company, food order from here was good too.
We had contacted Amy from Avispas Tours before hand and called twice when we got to our hotel but had no contact from her at all, so can't say anything good. Would have thought a return call would have been less rude than just ignoring us.
Having said that because of all the rain it was almost towards the end of the first week before we went on any tours, we used hotel beds, Carlos took us to Monteverde, which was a bit scary on the way back as it had started to rain again and the roads were being washed away. 100% commitment on concentration when driving. We went on the river tour with Sergio, this was great saw loads of wildlife including crocodiles (massive), we also went on a bird tour with Sergio which was great we would not have spotted everything we saw had it not been for him. Top tour guide.
For those who were wondering the kittens and parents are still there and doing fine being fed by everyone. The dog Ross has been adopted by the hotel security and another stray had started appearing everyday, he must have heard how good it was.
Only two negatives but they were not a problem, the turndown service was a bit hit and miss, and we had to ring twice in two weeks to get our mini bar restocked. Neither of which would spoil anyones holiday. Beware of people who moan, I don't know what they expect.
The Customer Service desk were absolutely excellent and very helpful.
Go to Costa Rica this place is one of my best holidays for relaxation and wildlife. However I came home with lots of bites which break out into an itch every now and again. I tried everything but to no avail, prepare to be eaten.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- On the unspoiled northern Pacific coast of Costa Rica(home to wild parrots and endagered sea turtles), striking volcanic cliffs dramatically descend to powdery sand beaches and crystalline coves. Elegant and respectfully situaded within this breathtaking haven in the five-star Occidental Grand papagayo. Reverently aligned with its majestic surroundings, the resort offers a new kind of luxury all inclusive vacation. It is nothing short of extraordinary.Couples, families and friends who visit experience premiun service, discover gourmand dining and select from an impressive gamut of activities and sports. The resor´s natural setting and luxury amenities also make it the ideal locale for an incomparable wedding or honeymoon. In short, the Occidental Grand Papagayo is a perfect vacation spot for anyone and any reason. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Travelocity, BookIt.com, Barcelo, Caribbean Online Mgt Corp., Hotels.com, Orbitz, Odigeo, getaroom.com and Priceline so you can book your Occidental Grand Papagayo reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Occidental Grand Papagayo Hotel Gulf Of Papagayo
- Occidental Grand Papagayo Gulf Of
- Occidental Grand Papagayo Costa Rica
- Grande Papagayo Costa Rica
- Grand Papagayo Liberia