“Could not have been better” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Four Seasons Resort Costa Rica at Peninsula Papagayo

Save Saved
You added Four Seasons Resort Costa Rica at Peninsula Papagayo to your Saves list
Four Seasons Resort Costa Rica at Peninsula Papagayo
5.0 of 5 Resort   |   Peninsula Papagayo, Costa Rica   |
Hotel packages
Special Offer
Fourth Night Free!
Ranked #1 of 16 Hotels in Gulf of Papagayo
Scottsdale, Arizona
“Could not have been better”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2007

Our suite was $2200 a night and worth every penny. The staff treated my kids like kings. The area where the hotel is located has got to be one of the nicest areas on this planet. Look very much forward to returning with the rest of my family soon.

• Liked — Everything
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed May 2007, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (255)
just outside NYC
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 12, 2007

I'm trying to back track and fill in reviews for hotels we stayed at before I joined tripadvisor. I'd wanted to go to Costa Rica since the 90's but something always got in the way. And then, the desinations I usually picked were further south in this tiny country of so many ecosystems, so it was refreshing to land in a less developed part of the country.
I really take my hat off to the resort for doing such an excellent job of blending the buildngs into the natural landscape. The peninsula narrows to an isthmus and it is at this point that reception comes in, cool drinks and a breezy open building looking out towards ocean on both sides. The accomations are for the most part, in tiers of buidings, but the sound proofing is done well. The roofs are curved to resemble turtles backs, the first but certainly not last nod to respecting indigenous life.
Rooms are gorgeous, dark teak like with a bath large enough to hold a small party which can be made more private with rolling wooden carved blinds. The lannai is usable as there's a motorized mosquito screen that rolls down to seel it off, quite transparant at night.
Because you can't cut down a lot of trees in Costa Rica, most of the balconies don't actually have sea views. What you do have is sea sound, breakers rolling and crashing, so if you do the unecological thing and turn up your air con and open the lannai, you're falling asleep to some serious sea music.
With two beachs and two pools, there's plenty of room for the couples to get away from the moms/dads and toddlers, all of whom are busily collecting hermit crabs to keep as pets during their stay. Don't expect a perfectly groomed beach -- that would disturb all the little critters and frankly, it's much nicer that way.
We took advantage of quite a few activities and trips to the rainforest, over high suspension foot bridges, out in boats to see birds, an anteater, gorgeous flowers. Even road zip lines hundreds of feet off the forest floor from tower to tower -- that was great fun. The howler monkeys vocally voiced their feelings about our presence in their territory !! That's quite a sound !
Restaurant selection was a bit bleak after 3 or 4 days, but the catch of the day fish selection when they'd take the chef's boat out and bring back fish you can tag for your dinner and discuss how to prepare, was amazing. Also brought home local coffee, so much nicer than what we get up here, even when it is grown locally.
The spa is really well done, facilities are large and tasteful, I had one body treatment I absolutely adored, altot of slathering on of various creams and lotions, but my hot rock girl was just not into being a masseuse. Hard too when your significant other is laying there going "oooooooOOOOOoOooo". His masseuse was much better.
Very strange leaving, realize you're at the airport Oliver North build to fund the contras, especially with the plane to the left with the Homeland Security logo stamped on it. Will always wonder what that meant !

• Liked — The way all the buildings blended into the landscape
  • Disliked — Very remote so couldn't do much without hotels help and these trips were pricey
  • Stayed August 2005, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
new jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2007

I had the pleasure of staying at this resort with my husband and six year old daughter in April 2007 for our tenth wedding anniversary. From the minute we walked into the beautiful open- air lobby, we were greeted by all with smiles, fresh juice and ice cold towels. Our room was not going to be ready right away, so we took our luggage into the spa, changed into our bathing suits and relaxed by the pool with some lunch.

We booked a regular room and were upgraded to an incredible one bedroom suite, up on the mountain overlooking the water. Yes it would have been hard walking up and down that mountain in 95 degree temperatures each day with our daughter, however, they graciously send a golf cart for you anytime you need it.

The service cannot be beat, the property is breathtaking, the pools were clean and quiet, the restaurants were lovely, the kid's club was terrific for our daughter, and the weather was amazing every day. We had a couple of late day downpours, which we welcomed...We sat in the hot tub with our mai tais and enjoyed it until it passed.

Yes, the property is isolated, however, if you do any type of research or reading prior to booking this resort, that is very easy to find out. We also used J and C tours to do our airport transfers...very reliable and reasonable. Juan picked us up in an air-conditioned mini van (just for us) and drove us 40 minutes to the resort.

And yes, the cost of food at the resort is high, but again, this is a Four Seasons and it's expected. The food was good, and Caracol, the restaurant on the golf course is absolutely beautiful.

I would go back tomorrow.

• Liked — Everything!
  • Stayed April 2007, traveled with family
Lausanne, Switzerland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 1, 2007

I stayed at this property in March 2006 and found it to be very boring. The resort in general is very nice and well managed and food was good. But I felt like I could have been anywhere. The fourseasons is located in a boring region of Costa Rica far away from any point of interest. I took some day trips and found them to be lame. I have stayed at world class hotels in London and Paris and have payed less. If you go to Costa Rica go to the Osa Penninsula.

• Liked — The food
  • Disliked — Location
  • Stayed March 2006, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
boca raton, florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 29, 2007

Hotel was absolutely beautiful..a truly georgeous property..Rooms great.. a very relaxing feeling takes over....The service was amazing...Unfortunately I got sick with a bad stomach (I guess Costa Rica's version of Montazuma's revenge)
and that did affect my activity level so I just sat by the pool and one of the staff so was concerned that I was not well he brought some soothing drink for my stomach. (Now that's service) He even stopped me the next day to ask me how I was feeling!!
Spa - wonderful!!
The only downside ..the property is sooo far from alot of the great activities..1-2 hours (one way) by car to national parks and other things..but overall a truly lush, romantic ,relaxing experience!!

• Liked — service
  • Disliked — location
  • Stayed April 2007
Oregon
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 27, 2007

The location is phenomenal. The surroundings remind me of the Mediterranean. The hotel is beautifully built and wonderfully situated in the lowest part of the peninsula in order to have a beach on either side. The golf course itself and the views from there are awesome. It's actually a much better place to appreciate the location than the resort.
On the negative side, the food was a disappointment and the service was both over-the-top and less than genuine. Evidently the pool staff and I both realized it's ridiculous to have to offer my child a personal face misting, perhaps the Four Seasons could pick up on that as well. The food was overpriced all the way around, which could have been offset if it had been top quality, but it surely was not. The Italian food there was mediocre at best. And the $30 I paid for my kid to eat a very basic breakfast is just insulting, they should be embarrassed by the gouging.
The room are very average for a 5 star resort, not too large and ammenities are just OK.
We actually experienced much better food and much friendlier service at our previous stop, Paradisus Playa Conchal. While certainly less serine, the food and staff were the real deal.
All in all I would make the trip again because the Four Seasons is so much nicer than any other property. I would probably make more careful food choices there and attempt to stay in the Residence Club for more space and a better view, esspecially for the price.

• Liked — The beautiful bays on both sides of the resort
  • Disliked — The average over-priced food
  • Stayed March 2007, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Connecticut
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2007

This hotel is very beautiful situated on a penninsula with water on both sides of the resort. The service was extraordinary, the food very good but not great and the rooms very nice. BUT, the walls are too thin. We were there during a February spring school vacation and the place was full of kids (which I found surprising since the rooms were $1000 and up per night). Not that I have anything against kids--except when they are loud at 12-1:00 AM and next door. Of the 7 nights there, half were disrupted by these noisy kids . I dont understand how the hotel could have been built with such thin walls. We complained each of these nights to security who did virtually nothing. The kids did calm down after we knocked on their door and told them to be quiet---each night !
The hotel management was very nice and apologitic but really had not much of an expanation. I have stayed in many Four Seasons Hotels and think they are the best but this one has some problems.

• Liked — beach, sun, pool
  • Disliked — thin walls made room unbearable with noisy kids next door
  • Stayed February 2007, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Four Seasons Resort Costa Rica at Peninsula Papagayo? Share your experiences!