“Georgeous property” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Four Seasons Resort Costa Rica at Peninsula Papagayo

Save Saved
You added Four Seasons Resort Costa Rica at Peninsula Papagayo to your Saves list
Four Seasons Resort Costa Rica at Peninsula Papagayo
Ranked #2 of 16 hotels in Gulf of Papagayo
boca raton, florida
“Georgeous property”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 29, 2007

Hotel was absolutely beautiful..a truly georgeous property..Rooms great.. a very relaxing feeling takes over....The service was amazing...Unfortunately I got sick with a bad stomach (I guess Costa Rica's version of Montazuma's revenge)
and that did affect my activity level so I just sat by the pool and one of the staff so was concerned that I was not well he brought some soothing drink for my stomach. (Now that's service) He even stopped me the next day to ask me how I was feeling!!
Spa - wonderful!!
The only downside ..the property is sooo far from alot of the great activities..1-2 hours (one way) by car to national parks and other things..but overall a truly lush, romantic ,relaxing experience!!

• Liked — service
  • Disliked — location
  • Stayed April 2007

1,049 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (242)
Oregon
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 27, 2007

The location is phenomenal. The surroundings remind me of the Mediterranean. The hotel is beautifully built and wonderfully situated in the lowest part of the peninsula in order to have a beach on either side. The golf course itself and the views from there are awesome. It's actually a much better place to appreciate the location than the resort.
On the negative side, the food was a disappointment and the service was both over-the-top and less than genuine. Evidently the pool staff and I both realized it's ridiculous to have to offer my child a personal face misting, perhaps the Four Seasons could pick up on that as well. The food was overpriced all the way around, which could have been offset if it had been top quality, but it surely was not. The Italian food there was mediocre at best. And the $30 I paid for my kid to eat a very basic breakfast is just insulting, they should be embarrassed by the gouging.
The room are very average for a 5 star resort, not too large and ammenities are just OK.
We actually experienced much better food and much friendlier service at our previous stop, Paradisus Playa Conchal. While certainly less serine, the food and staff were the real deal.
All in all I would make the trip again because the Four Seasons is so much nicer than any other property. I would probably make more careful food choices there and attempt to stay in the Residence Club for more space and a better view, esspecially for the price.

• Liked — The beautiful bays on both sides of the resort
  • Disliked — The average over-priced food
  • Stayed March 2007, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Connecticut
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2007

This hotel is very beautiful situated on a penninsula with water on both sides of the resort. The service was extraordinary, the food very good but not great and the rooms very nice. BUT, the walls are too thin. We were there during a February spring school vacation and the place was full of kids (which I found surprising since the rooms were $1000 and up per night). Not that I have anything against kids--except when they are loud at 12-1:00 AM and next door. Of the 7 nights there, half were disrupted by these noisy kids . I dont understand how the hotel could have been built with such thin walls. We complained each of these nights to security who did virtually nothing. The kids did calm down after we knocked on their door and told them to be quiet---each night !
The hotel management was very nice and apologitic but really had not much of an expanation. I have stayed in many Four Seasons Hotels and think they are the best but this one has some problems.

• Liked — beach, sun, pool
  • Disliked — thin walls made room unbearable with noisy kids next door
  • Stayed February 2007, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
San Francisco, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 29, 2007

We stayed at the Four Seasons Costa Rica July 2006. It is an easy trip from San Francisco to Houtston and direct to Liberia. We first headed south to Punta Islita for a few days and am glad we finished our trip at the Four Seasons. We rented a SUV for our entire trip and yes the roads are terrible however we enjoed the flexibility of having our own car as the countryside is beautiful. Once you come off the secondary roads onto the Four Seasons property the area becomes manicured and the views of the Penninsula are terrific. The drive from the security point to the hotel is long however you get a feel for the golf course and we counted about 42 staff cleaning and maincuring the resort BEFORE we even got to the hotel. You come to the last gate which looks like Jurrasic Park before you head down to the recepion.

The welcome service was impeccable, although we had a room on the ground level it was huge, well appointed with a private patio and netting to keep out the Iguanas and Monkeys.

The facilities - pool, spa, gym are all excellent, I am so glad I brought my sticks, I believe it ws about $100 for a World Class golf course - think Pebble. After golf we had drinks and apps at the golf course bar which was so good we came back the next night for dinner which was excellent.

Overall the staff was attentive, friendly and sincere without being overbearing. Staff were always bring by smoothies, towels etc by the pool.

Definetely take some classes which are included such as dancing, tennis, snorkeling and cooking classes were all great.
Having had the opprtunity to stay at several Four Seasons properties in the US, this experience was easily the best. The Food was good overall, Di-Mare dinner was very good, coffee there is excellent .

I proposed to my girlfriend there and the staff went out of their way to help me set it up - what a memory. A trip of a lifetime, will be tough to duplicate however going to try the Four Seasons resorts in Thailand for our honeymoon.

Go, you will not be disapponted.

• Liked — Spacious, well appinted
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed July 2006, traveled as a couple
Boca Raton, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 21, 2007

We stayed at the Four Seasons from March 15 - 19th 2007. It was our 6th anniversay and we wanted to bring our 4-year old, which was a joy. On our anniversary, they put a bottle of Champaigne, without even asking, great touch.

We rented a car, which was nice to have but not necesary if you are not planning on leaving the resort.

The service is absolutely wondeful, almost perfect if there is such a thing. We were constantly addressed by our last name as soon as we arrived and through out the stay.

Check-in was a breeze and the room we requested (premium) was full, they automatically upgraded us, before we could even say anything to a 3-bedroom suite. The room (rooms) were just plain awesome, great views, well appointed, wireless internet, great beds, wonderful patio.

The girls at the Kids Center were great with our 4-year old, and I cant say enough how comfortable they make you feel, especially if you are leaving the kids there for a few hours. My daughter loved it.

Golf course is great, I played the whites and had a great time, and after 200pm its $110 all you can play. The clubs are brand new Pings, with an Oydessy putter.

The food at the clubhouse was great, on par with a great steakhouse. The room service food, i though was just fair, its not that good in my opinion, but the set-up is nice. The D-Mare restarunt I thought was good. The kids menu was fine. the coffee is great.

Pools are nice, jaccuzi nice, beaches are nice. i went surfing 2 days at Playa Grande which is about an One Hour and a half away, great waves there at high tide. Spa is really nice and worth it.

Nice shopping in Tamarindo and some really good restaraunts on the beach in Playa Flamingo.

All in all, I have stayed at a few Four Seasons, but this is the best. The best. We are going back in June bringing our two kids.

• Liked — Everything
  • Disliked — Food from room service
  • Stayed March 2007, traveled with family
New York, NY
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2007

Excellent resort and definitely is on par as one of the best Four Seasons properties that my wife and I have stayed at.

What we liked:

1) Attentive staff and service.
2) Rooms were well appointed, clean and very comfortable.
3) Pool and beach areas were relaxing and well maintained.
4) Restaurant food was very good, especially the Italian restaurant Di Mare.
5) Daily complimentary activities - Rain forest hike, cooking class, Spanish class, golf swing lesson, salsa dancing.
6) Golf - Amazing course - especially the front 9 holes!
7) J and C tours [-] - Airport transfers, personal tours of the Guanacaste area.

What we didn't like (very little):

1) You have to expect to pay a relatively high price to stay at such a fine resort, but there was a 26% tax and an additional 10% service fee added to every line item on the bill at check out - If money is no object then will not be an issue...

2) Fairly remote location which was good and bad - Good, that you are totally secluded and undisturbed. Bad, that it takes 30 minutes by car to get anywhere off the resort.

• Stayed January 2007, traveled as a couple
Washington DC
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2007

This resort is really fantastic. We stayed for 4 nights in April 2006 (sorry it took so long to post, but I still wanted to share our experience.)

Upon arriving at the airport without my bags :( we headed via private SUV transfer to the hotel. This was a real plus since it was very very hot and the SUV had AC and water etc. The ride was a little
long but once we arrived at the ground of the Four Seasons we were so happy. This resort is really beautiful. If you are someone who likes golf, this is an amazing spot for you too! They have a great pool area and 2 beaches. Both beaches were great! There are monkeys that come down through the hills from the treetops around dusk and we saw about 9 of them hanging out in a tree right over us in front of the Cocktail area one evening!

The food was also amazing here. But be very prepared- everything is extremely pricey! There is a nice restaurant up at the top of the resort near the Golf Course- definitely check it out!

They also had some fun salsa classes you can take on some days. It was a short class for beginners but was a lot of fun right before having cocktails and dinner!

The trip was really wonderful. The service beats anything we have ever seen and we've been to some really great places. Everyone was very kind and always wanted to help. They were constantly coming by at the pool or beach to make sure you had refills on your drinks, evian spritzers, cleaning your glasses etc etc. they were also very helpful during the day without my bags.

We went on one trip which was the Canopy Tour and it was so amazing! I was really scared at first but they did everything they could to make you feel comfortable with it. I would definitely recommend doing this (we did the shorter tour) so we still had time to hang around the beach and pool.

I also has the best massage of my life at the spa! If you are into spas- definitely check this one out. You won't be disappointed!

Hopefully we will have the opportunity to come back one day soon!

• Stayed April 2006, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Been to Four Seasons Resort Costa Rica at Peninsula Papagayo? Share your experiences!