“Perfect Hotel” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Four Seasons Resort Costa Rica at Peninsula Papagayo

You added Four Seasons Resort Costa Rica at Peninsula Papagayo to your Saves list
Four Seasons Resort Costa Rica at Peninsula Papagayo
Ranked #1 of 16 Hotels in Gulf of Papagayo
Boca Raton, Florida
“Perfect Hotel”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 21, 2007

We stayed at the Four Seasons from March 15 - 19th 2007. It was our 6th anniversay and we wanted to bring our 4-year old, which was a joy. On our anniversary, they put a bottle of Champaigne, without even asking, great touch.

We rented a car, which was nice to have but not necesary if you are not planning on leaving the resort.

The service is absolutely wondeful, almost perfect if there is such a thing. We were constantly addressed by our last name as soon as we arrived and through out the stay.

Check-in was a breeze and the room we requested (premium) was full, they automatically upgraded us, before we could even say anything to a 3-bedroom suite. The room (rooms) were just plain awesome, great views, well appointed, wireless internet, great beds, wonderful patio.

The girls at the Kids Center were great with our 4-year old, and I cant say enough how comfortable they make you feel, especially if you are leaving the kids there for a few hours. My daughter loved it.

Golf course is great, I played the whites and had a great time, and after 200pm its $110 all you can play. The clubs are brand new Pings, with an Oydessy putter.

The food at the clubhouse was great, on par with a great steakhouse. The room service food, i though was just fair, its not that good in my opinion, but the set-up is nice. The D-Mare restarunt I thought was good. The kids menu was fine. the coffee is great.

Pools are nice, jaccuzi nice, beaches are nice. i went surfing 2 days at Playa Grande which is about an One Hour and a half away, great waves there at high tide. Spa is really nice and worth it.

Nice shopping in Tamarindo and some really good restaraunts on the beach in Playa Flamingo.

All in all, I have stayed at a few Four Seasons, but this is the best. The best. We are going back in June bringing our two kids.

• Liked — Everything
  • Disliked — Food from room service
  • Stayed March 2007, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (259)
New York, NY
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2007

Excellent resort and definitely is on par as one of the best Four Seasons properties that my wife and I have stayed at.

What we liked:

1) Attentive staff and service.
2) Rooms were well appointed, clean and very comfortable.
3) Pool and beach areas were relaxing and well maintained.
4) Restaurant food was very good, especially the Italian restaurant Di Mare.
5) Daily complimentary activities - Rain forest hike, cooking class, Spanish class, golf swing lesson, salsa dancing.
6) Golf - Amazing course - especially the front 9 holes!
7) J and C tours [-] - Airport transfers, personal tours of the Guanacaste area.

What we didn't like (very little):

1) You have to expect to pay a relatively high price to stay at such a fine resort, but there was a 26% tax and an additional 10% service fee added to every line item on the bill at check out - If money is no object then will not be an issue...

2) Fairly remote location which was good and bad - Good, that you are totally secluded and undisturbed. Bad, that it takes 30 minutes by car to get anywhere off the resort.

• Stayed January 2007, traveled as a couple
Washington DC
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2007

This resort is really fantastic. We stayed for 4 nights in April 2006 (sorry it took so long to post, but I still wanted to share our experience.)

Upon arriving at the airport without my bags :( we headed via private SUV transfer to the hotel. This was a real plus since it was very very hot and the SUV had AC and water etc. The ride was a little
long but once we arrived at the ground of the Four Seasons we were so happy. This resort is really beautiful. If you are someone who likes golf, this is an amazing spot for you too! They have a great pool area and 2 beaches. Both beaches were great! There are monkeys that come down through the hills from the treetops around dusk and we saw about 9 of them hanging out in a tree right over us in front of the Cocktail area one evening!

The food was also amazing here. But be very prepared- everything is extremely pricey! There is a nice restaurant up at the top of the resort near the Golf Course- definitely check it out!

They also had some fun salsa classes you can take on some days. It was a short class for beginners but was a lot of fun right before having cocktails and dinner!

The trip was really wonderful. The service beats anything we have ever seen and we've been to some really great places. Everyone was very kind and always wanted to help. They were constantly coming by at the pool or beach to make sure you had refills on your drinks, evian spritzers, cleaning your glasses etc etc. they were also very helpful during the day without my bags.

We went on one trip which was the Canopy Tour and it was so amazing! I was really scared at first but they did everything they could to make you feel comfortable with it. I would definitely recommend doing this (we did the shorter tour) so we still had time to hang around the beach and pool.

I also has the best massage of my life at the spa! If you are into spas- definitely check this one out. You won't be disappointed!

Hopefully we will have the opportunity to come back one day soon!

• Stayed April 2006, traveled as a couple
London, Ontario
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 10, 2007

We stayed at the Four Seasons in Costa Rica from February 24 to March 6, 2007.

First, the pleasant surprise. We booked the golf package and, from the website, understood unlimited golf (as well as a couple of golf lessons, use of the practice range, golf cart, golf clinic for two and use of the tennis facilities) and breakfast was included. I had been in contact with the hotel in advance to book tee off times, spa treatments and transportation to and from the hotel to the airport. We were advised that the cost of transportation from and to the airport was $50. USD per person each way. I knew from the hotel reviews on this site that we could book J & C Tours for transportation from and to the airport for $30. USD per person each way so I did. (A very professional couple with a good van and quite reliable). When we got there we were handed a letter outlining what the golf package included and, to our surpirse, discovered that dinners at any of the restaurants (including room service) was included as was airport transportation. To their credit, the hotel refunded the $60 USD we had spent on the transportation from the airport and we used the included transportation to return to the airport.

We arrived after a very long trip (we left our house in London, Canada at 5 am and arrived at the Four Seasons at about 9 pm). We brought golf clubs and were immediately impressed that they wisked the clubs directly to the golf course.

Each day the golf cart was set up ready for us and they also kept our golf shoes at the course. It was very hot - 35 - 36 Celcius and the fresh cool towels they brought every few holes as well as cold water was most appreciated. By the way, the course is spectacular - beautiful views and interesting.

We got a premium room - bedroom with a large balcony. The only difference between that room and less expensive ones is the more expensive one is higher - presumably it is easier to see the water from higher up. Of course, there is also much more expensive accomodation there too if one wants. The room was essentially the same as shown in the hotel website but a little worn looking. Also, the difference from the picture on the website was that the website room was "dressed up". This resulted in our, at first, feeling a little let down when we first saw the room. However, it was fine. We enjoyed seeing monkeys (some with babies) from our room as well as different birds.

From comments on the Trip Advisor reviews I was a little worried about noise, but there was never a problem. However, apparently the hotel is flooded with kids at March break and even the staff relates that March break is a very unpleasant time. On the day before we were leaving we started noticing more little kids and more teenagers
around the pool - with a lot of the lounge chairs full fairly early. My advice is to avoid the hotel during March break and other family travel times.

There are several restaurants - perhaps the one with the greatest atmosphere is Caracol at the golf club house. People have raved about the steaks at Caracol - I was not really that impressed with them although the best was surf and turf - fillet mignon with shrimps for $48. The worst meal I had at the golf course was beef stroganoff - they took it back and took it off the bill - not really relevant given the meal plan but nice all the same. Consider, however, sharing meals if you are not big eaters. We were on a meal plan so price did not matter but it seemed quite wasteful to each order surf and turf and return half the food on our plates to the kitchen. That happened a few times and we started sharing or ordering half orders (when possible as when ordering pasta). We did not try the seafood except for scallops and salad at lunch (at the poolside restaurant) which was quite good. Tico's bar is located on the main property between the two other main restaurants. At the bar you can get lighter items but also can order from a reduced menu from the two adjacent restaurants. However, if you ask for them, you can also order from the full menus from the two adjacent restaurants. Overall, I'd say the food is good but not extraordinary. Lunch at the poolside restaurant was very pleasant. The breakfast buffet was very good (at around $60 for two). Lunch prices were not bad - as I recall it unless you are a very big eater you can get a reasonable lunch for around $12. However, note that a service charge is added to everything - so don't tip unless you really want to. The wine prices are very high - I think the cheapest bottle of (not spectacular) white wine was around $49 - $50 - before service charge. Also, a 13% government tax is added to almost everything. With the service charge and tax I think the surcharge is about 23%. Two glasses of white wine after golf cost about $32. before, I think, the 13% tax.

We knew about the wine prices and bought wine in Playa Coco on an outing there. Apart from buying the wine, I do not really see any reason to go to Coco - kind of run down and no interesting art there.

We also went on an excursion with the hotel - called the Goombay Sunset Tour - about $89 USD each. Unless you want to snorkel for about an hour, or go walk on a deserted beach and then ride around on the boat waiting for the sunset, I don't think it was really worth it. You can probably see the sunset from the hotel.

We also took a river tour to the Corobici River with J & C Tours. It's about three hours return to the river. The raft was not all that comfortable and, after the first half hour, kind for boring - we saw more animals and birds at the hotel and golf course.

The spa was wonderful and we wished we had booked more than one massage.

The service was exceptional - they have this "greeting by name" thing down pat. At the pool, they came around with water and other little treats.

In a way, the weather was perfect - sunny, no rain and hot. A little too hot for golf although after a few days we got used to it. It was the "brown" season when we were there. Many of the trees loose their leaves at this time. On the upside, some of the trees flower during this season which was quite pretty. Also, we could probably see more of the views on the golf course given the lack of leaves. Some of the staff said the best time to go is late November/early December. Apparently, it can be quite hot and humid once the rainy season starts - maybe around May on - I'm not too sure.

All in, the property is beautiful and the service is excellent. The golf course is wonderful.The staff members are very friendly. Check, however, with the hotel directly about what is or is not included in packages. Condsider buying some wine locally. Avoid "family" vacation times. If we went again I'd try to see whether December or January was a bit cooler. If you are not big eaters, share meals - this would bring down the prices of meals and also avoid wasting food.

• Liked — Setting, golf
  • Disliked — room a little tired, heat
  • Stayed February 2007, traveled as a couple
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 2, 2007

This was the best hotel / location i've stayed at. For starters, its a four seasons. Not much i can complain about. Great staff, spa, restaurants, and room.

oh yeah - the room. Very nicely appointed. rich hardwood floors, high thread count linens, cable, screened in porch (trust me - with the monkeys and bugs on the premises - you need it!) and a nice tub. Our room was located in the building furthest from the pool. it overlooked the bay side and was very quiet.

i mentioned monkeys. yes... monkeys. Ghost and howler monkeys roam the resort with free will. they are skittish of people - so don't worry about loosing your glasses. It is quite an impressive site sipping a mai tai and watching monkeys play in front of you.

the bars and restaurants were fabulous. i personally was worried that there may be too much local cuisine - however it suited my palate. The best treat offered? a cold lemon towel on the hour by the pool.

As far as activities go, there are lots. We went on a zip line adventure (no for the faint of heart) and rode across canyons 100's of feet in the air. We also chose to rent a car and tour off property on our own. Be forewarned - the roads are a disaster. we spent most of the time riding on the shoulder to avoid potholes. When you drive there - play on going no faster that 30/40 mph. The people we met off property are really friendly. Tico's they're called. but beware of the riff raff. you can pretty much spot them - they're either drunk or non local expats hiding from the law.

Note to those going to costa rica. Its a beautiful place. peaceful. clean. self sufficient. be that way too.

• Liked — the property
  • Stayed September 2006, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 14, 2007

My husband surprised me for our 20th anniversary and took me to this "piece of heaven on earth" November 6-11, 2006. Our experience mirrors the other 5 star ratings. We stayed in one of the hillside bungalows and actually enjoyed the walk up -- we needed the exercise after all the drinks and food! Golf was spectacular -- I played horribly because I forgot about my game and focused on taking pictures of the views! The tee box at 18 is where you need to be to see an unforgettable sunset. Restaurant at the clubhouse was by far the best -- staff was the most knowlegeable and best trained of all the waitstaff we met. Hotel arranged for day long fishing charter for my husband -- great success and highlight of his trip -- He brought back fresh fish which the kitchen prepared for our dinner-- unfortunately this was probably our biggest disappointment of the trip. We were looking for creativity from the kitchen and had a discussion with the chef tableside when we arrived for our reservation but our fish was still prepared basically just like the offerings on the menu -- which we had already tried on a previous night! Seems they are trained in the kitchen to prepare only a few items. We gave them several pounds of fresh fish -- Still wish we knew what happened to the rest! . . . Spa was fabulous. Husband had a pedicure the first day there -- I couldn't stand to look at his feet in sandals otherwise! He said it was the best he's ever had. I enjoyed a facial and a coffee-based body treatment.
We both are ready to go back tomorrow -- the staff really made the experience, as is our typical experience for a Four Seasons. As other reviewers noted, you really get to know the folks who are staying at the resort because you all are there together eating, lying by the pool, etc. Other reviews are correct -- this is the place to come and unwind -not much else to do outside the resort without a 2 hour ride. But if you live in the Southeastern USA, Liberia is a short plane ride from Charlotte, Atlanta, Houston or MIami and Costa Rica is breathtakingly beautiful and filled with charming, warm people. We will be back!

• Liked — Relaxation at it's finest
  • Disliked — Having to leave!
  • Stayed November 2006, traveled as a couple
Clearwater, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 2, 2007

Lucky me - we were given this opportunity as a group trip for my husbands Sales Club winners. We went in the dry season (1/27/07). This place is amazing. The Four Seasons is unique combination of luxury while blended with the rugged terrain and ecosystem of the nation park section it leases from Costa Rica. Once you enter the gates, you still drive at least 15 mins through manicured and palmed grounds. The hotel is build into a mountain and is mostly all open air - the restaurants, lobby, etc. The guest rooms - well - wonderful. There is air conditioning which we were happy with when the temps got high - but the highlight has to be the screened in private balconies. Daily, the monkeys came through the trees, parrots sat outside our window and other wildlife was visible at many different times during the day. The service - wow. We could not lift a finger to put down a towel without someone appearing to help. By the second day they know your name - don't ask me how but it is important to this staff that you are totally taken care of. We never say 'management' or oversight - everyone on the staff went out of their way always to greet you and ask if you needed anything. I'm not sure how the Four Seasons blended this 'natural setting' with fantastic luxury but they did and it was one of the best - if not THE best - vacations we have been on. Oh - we did the zip line tour - if you go all the way there and don't do it - shame on you:) My husband and I aren't thrilled of heights but we did it and it was exhilirating. It isn't a piece of cake and it is intense and a little scary - but it is something you will always remember. Some from our group did the day long tours to the volcanos but we limited ourselves to the zip line and relaxation. The spa - to die for - the 2 hour Rainforest one is wonderful if you have that inclination. The food - excellent too. The steak house on the golf course is expensive - and well worth it - it was some of the best food we have ever had. The local fish is so fresh and you can't miss. We thought the 'pick your own fish' thing was a little bogus - where on certain days the fishermen bring the fish to the hotel and you can pick your fish to be prepared that night - you don't get the whole fish and the portion you do get is a little disappointing - but don't let that deter you from the fresh fish on the menu in any of the restaurants. Would we go back - in a split second!

• Liked — The service and thenatural setting
  • Stayed February 2007, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Four Seasons Resort Costa Rica at Peninsula Papagayo? Share your experiences!