“Outstanding Experience” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Four Seasons Resort Costa Rica at Peninsula Papagayo

Save Saved
You added Four Seasons Resort Costa Rica at Peninsula Papagayo to your Saves list
Four Seasons Resort Costa Rica at Peninsula Papagayo
Ranked #1 of 16 Hotels in Gulf of Papagayo
Rancho Santa Fe, California
“Outstanding Experience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2014

We just returned from a week at this gorgeous & extremely well run property. We were 6 people; my husband & myself, our two younger children, our oldest son & his fiancée & we stayed in a 3 bedroom villa & a one bedroom hotel room. Both were lovely but our villa was suburb. The whole resort is furnished in dark woods, little intrusion of color, which lets nature shine. Our villa viewed the swimming beach & islands, with a beautiful infinity edge plunge pool. The whole place is beyond luxurious, which is to be expected at this level. What impressed me (and I really didn't want to head to Costa Rica in late July at all) was the genuine sweetness of almost every employee here. It was exceptional, enough to make me a Costa Rican convert. We had a poolside cabana on several days & Maxwell, on two days our attendant, radiated joyfulness, enthusiasm & an extremely high level of pride in his work. His whole face lit up when talking about part of his job - teaching the casita inhabitants how to make a cocktail. We left thinking of him as a friend. On another occasion, we had a teasing encounter with Rosbin, our turn down person & I jokingly asked him where were the chocolates or cookies on our pillow. The next evening, we had a different turn down team & I had forgotten all about the prior conversation. Half an hour later, who should show up but Rosbin, with a box of chocolates for us! This was on his own time, his own initiative. What an exceptionally nice thing to do! I think that the staff here is the best of the best; from the restaurants to the tram drivers. We will be back!

• Stayed August 2014, traveled with family
FSCOSPFGM, General Manager at Four Seasons Resort Costa Rica at Peninsula Papagayo, responded to this review, August 7, 2014
Dear Heather, Thank you for your kind words in general and especially for pointing out Maxwell and Rosbin. We shared your review with them both, and they were very happy and proud of it. We are looking forward to your next trip - we are ready to pamper you with more chocolates and cocktails! Pura Vida, Pascal Forotti, General Manager.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (253)
Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2014

This resort is small, but very nice. We stayed 8 days and the food options got a little boring, but were otherwise very good. The resort is really clean, the staff are really nice and attentive. There was never any problem with food or water like you have sometimes in Mexico. Even in the nearby town, we felt perfectly fine to eat and drink. The two beaches on site are really nice and staff comes around every hour with something, whether it's a smoothie, an iced coffee drink or a fresh coconut. Guests are very well taken care of. We would definitely go back.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Dear Walnut_11, thank you for taking the time to write about your most recent stay with us in Costa Rica. I am sorry that you felt our food options got boring after a while, we try hard with our six different restaurants and specials along the days to keep it exciting ... and with the amazing weather we had so far, we are able to offer romantic beach dinners and organic Garden Tables, not to forget the Chef Table in the kitchen, great food in many places. Glad you enjoyed our two beaches, with Playa Blanca being our activity beach, Playa Virador offers stunning views of the ocean and especially gorgeous sunsets. We are indeed fortunate to be on this side of the Peninsula. Looking forward to welcoming you again soon, Best Regards Pascal Forotti, General Manager.
Fairfield, Connecticut
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2014 via mobile

I have been to many different Four Season resorts and also Ritz Carlton's and must say this one is not up to the standards I thought I was going to get when my travel agent booked the trip.

Pros: the hotel staff is very friendly they do try to accommodate you. The place is very nice as you would expect a hotel like this to be. The rooms were a nice size.

Cons: the food and drinks are COMPLETELY overpriced and I'm not the only one on here saying the same thing. 3 sushi rolls a small lobster pizza and 2 drinks= $200. Breakfast is a complete ripoff too. At least when you go to a Ritz Carlton and you book with Amex platinum you get breakfast free and sometimes credits towards incidentals. Here they only gave us a $100 spa credit which of course if you go to the spa they are charging you more than $100 We stayed five nights getting the fourth night free, this was a mistake because what your paying for by staying the extra day really isn't worth it. If you go you should rent a car because the hotel is very remote so if your there without a car you can rent one from the concierge. They charge minimum $125.00 per day includes full tank of gas and GPS. We got a Toyota rav4. We drove to the rain forest but when we got there we realized one of the windshield wiper blades was missing. The car also kept making noises and before I got in it the bellman was spraying air freshener in it after 10 min in the car we knew why. 2 days we were there we came back to the room at 5pm after being out all day and realized that housekeeping never showed up. So we had to call for more towels 2x's so we could shower for dinner. (Housekeeping never did come back to make up the room) The concierge need some work too. The head concierge was a wonderful helpful woman, she couldn't be better but her staff leads a lot to be desired. They booked a rental car for me and 2x it was for the wrong day. When I called them they realized they made a mistake and corrected it (twice). Another concierge working there couldn't tell us the name or directions of the zip lining company but she said we should take a tour guide for $500. After doing our homework we drove ourselves, not only booking the zip lining ourselves but also they failed to tell us the hot springs were along the way (something we found out when calling the zip lining company to make our own reservations) The morning of checkout I called the concierge to confirm a spa appointment and for my car to pick me up at 12:00 for our ride to the airport. When we got to the bell desk at 11:50 I asked for my car and they said it was on its way. At 12:20 I asked the bell men where my car was and he said I didn't have a reservation for one so they drove me to the airport In a rental car after I showed him my confirmation for one

For those of you who don't travel a lot you will say the place is fabulous. For those of you who know better and travel all the time like myself you WILL feel like your getting ripped off a little because the service and quality and value is not up to Four Seasons standards. I chose to stay here over the Andaz because of my history with Four Seasons but next time I will go to the Andaz

Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
FSCOSPFGM, General Manager at Four Seasons Resort Costa Rica at Peninsula Papagayo, responded to this review, August 8, 2014
Dear Gerry, Thank you for your review and we so appreciate your comments about our teams - they make me proud every day and create memories for all of our guests. Great that you give the resort such a strong rating and with over 600 sqf, our standard rooms are some of the largest in the country. On the other side, I am sorry to read that we missed some opportunities to really WOW you and your family while in Costa Rica and hope you will give us a second chance. We would love to make sure your next stay is as impressive as expected and you continue staying with Four Seasons while on the Peninsula. Best regards, Pascal Forotti, General Manager.
Edmond, Oklahoma
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2014

Our family of four just returned home from this spectacular resort. The service was outstanding and the staff couldn't have been more helpful. Steven at the Concierge desk was great and made several very helpful suggestions. 1) The trip to Arenal with Walter at Swiss Travel (zip lining, Taracon, and hanging bridges in the rain forest) was a highlight of the trip and worth the long day. Zip lining here was incredible. 2) Renting a car for a day to go to Coco Beach and then returning the car ourselves to the airport the next morning actually saved a little money on the transfer and gave us a great evening in a nearby town. 3) Sport fishing was pricey but a very memorable day with my son. Great service on the boat. 4) finally, the Goombay Snorkeling tour was a good half-day activity.

The breakfast buffet was terrific. Beaches were great. Pools were solid. Our family did suffer an incident with a sea urchin, but the medical doctor was attentive and the staff was very accommodating to the minor discomfort. The downside can be pricing on food and the remoteness of the resort. You are somewhat captive to the resort restaurants - all of which can be expensive. I know the property is about to undergo a major renovation. We hope to make another visit to see the upgraded facility.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled with family
Dear DSG001, thank you for your comments about Steven, I am glad to know he was able to get you the full Costa Rican experience. There is so much to do in this wonderful country - just a pleasure to vacation here. The buffet in Papagayo is amazing, with over 70 different items offered, from freshly baked croissants and ripe exotic fruits, to the omelette and waffle Chef, to staple dishes like french toast and Costa Rican fare - just delicious! With the upcoming renovation, we are very excited about all the additions and new vibe this will bring us. Glad our house doctor was able to react quickly to the sea urchin incident and our team was able to accommodate the discomfort. We are looking forward to welcoming you back soon. Pura Vida, Pascal Forotti, General Manager.
chicago il
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2014 via mobile

Spent 3 nights with wife and three daughters. Everything was amazing. Service was exceptional and couldn't be more friendly. Enjoyed the pools and two beaches. Used the the stand up paddle boards, kayaks, etc which were complimentary which was nice. Drinking rum out of coconuts at sunset on the beach with live music, nothing in life better. We took a boat out off the beach for fishing and caught a 20lb Mahdi mahi. When we returned Chef Gerardo came down and asked us how we wanted the fish prepped. We had fish sticks for kids, two types of ceviche, and a mahi sampler which the fish was seared, grilled , and blackened. It was nothing shot of awesome. Chef couldn't have been nicer. Santiago and David waited on us poolside and were great. They were models of providing excellent customer service and making sure we had everything thing we needed. On our last day Santiago brought us a mojito, an imperial, and smoothies for the kids to say goodbye. My wife cried. It was such a nice touch. Great job and thank you to all the staff that made our stay one of the best ever! We will be back. My wife is already talking about a return trip for her birthday in Feb.

Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Dear willymcbride, What a great review! Congratulations on the 20lb Mahi Mahi ... I heard it was more like 40lb ;) - Chef Gerardo was happy to prepare it for you and just like Gerardo, all our staff is known to be helpful and working on making these vacations, times to remember. Come back soon for that Pipa Fria at sunset. Pura Vida, Pascal Forotti, General Manager.
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2014

The resort was superb in every way. Typical of Four Seasons, they have put enormous effort into the details ensuring a pleasant stay. The service was excellent and more importantly consistent. I did think that perhaps they could have had more activities as the choices were limited but it is a small point relative to the overall experience. We would come back again and plan to do so. Also be aware, if you are leaving out of Liberia, the airport has no lounge, minimal shopping and the food/drink prices are outrageous.

Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
FSCOSPFGM, General Manager at Four Seasons Resort Costa Rica at Peninsula Papagayo, responded to this review, August 4, 2014
Dear jb871911,
Thank you for taking the time and sharing your most recent stay with us. So glad you titled it “Wonderful - Classic Four Seasons Hospitality” – the team here is really working on making every stay memorable. I am sorry to read that you felt limited on activities offered – we have recently added Mixology and cooking classes, Make your Own Chocolate and Pottery afternoons and of course the many watersport activities, like snorkeling, SUP, sunset kayak and deep see fishing!
And last but not least, for your future trip to the airport, we are preparing delicious to-go and lunch boxes for our guests leaving on tours, excursions and sadly back home. Allow us to pamper you next time with Four Seasons food to enjoy at the airport. Pura Vida, Pascal Forotti, General Manager.
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2014

We stayed here in August and it was absolutely an excellent experience! The weather was just right, rain a little each afternoon, just in time for a nap. The food, service and the hotel location was just incredible! We looked forward to all the fun and very detailed daily activities. The snorkeling was superb! Worth every moment, be blessed and visit!

Pros:
•Service, service service ... A++++, you want to tip everyone because of the fabulous, detailed service, extremely clean resort
•Complimentary services: detail daily activities:
• kayak adventure- all the necessary equipment needed available to use and nicely clean
•coffee testing- entertaining, informative, fun
• snorkeling exploration - ( Keren the swimming instructor, was so sweet, patient, and willing to take a beginner swimmer and gave me a wonderful snorkeling experience, 45 minutes of beautiful reefs/ fish) Thanks again Keren!
• Tiny Toy tennis Clinic, instructor was amazing, patient, wonderful & fun, sorry I forgot her name but she has been there for 5 years and really knew her stuff.

•conseiger, no question is a dumb question, extremely helpful, Detail exercusion list available at the front desk
•house keeping, friendly, polite, extremely clean!!!! love it!
• They thought about everything! •Umbrellas available everywhere if it rains
• complimentary washer/ dryer & supplies
• complimentary spring water everywhere@ bedroom
• restaurant food , delicious, gourmet style, Josue in Congos restaurant was so friendly, sweet and made sure we were enjoying our dinner, Great hostess, Wonderful waiters / tress
• you really don't have to bring lotions, towels, shampoo, sunscreen with u, everything available for u for Free
• complimentary Kids Club, Lilly, very sweet& informative
• free upgraded room with ocean view without requesting it, hearing the beach every nite was relaxing
•allowed to enter the room before 3pm, free of charge
• food is pricey but it is Four season, it is expected and the presentation, quanity & quality of the food is worth it
• airport shuttle worth every penny, cost $40 pp, I requested a booster seat for my 4 yr old and it was provided, the Driver: Martin was a very careful driver
•departure Tax is allowed to be paid at the four seasons makes it easy to depart at the airport
• everyone speaks English and are very well spoken and professional
• beautiful beach area, everything u need available on it

Cons:
• small beach area
• no real smoke free sections, smoke free rooms but that is about it, people r allowed to smoke in the pool area, very frustrating, didn't want my child exposed to 2nd hand smoke, they need a smoke free lobby/ bar section & pool/ beach area

• 13% state tax on everything
• each meal or purchase item is taxed 10% service charge, very well deserve but also taxed with the 13 % state tax on top of that, 23% tax, Ouch!

• departure tax, $3O pp, extra expense

Tips: bring swim shoes with u, coral & rocks on beach can be tough but it is really beautiful. Another reason is that the sand gets really HOT, don't recommend walking barefoot on it, Ouch! if u don't u can always purchase some at the hotel store
• luxury for sure
• highly recommend!!! wish my son was a little older maybe 10, my husband and I would've felt more comfortable taking advantage of the excursions, regardless there was so much to do on the resort it didn't really matter
• Highly recommended a dream come true!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
FSCOSPFGM, General Manager at Four Seasons Resort Costa Rica at Peninsula Papagayo, responded to this review, August 1, 2014
Dear Cruz from Philly, greetings to the City of Brotherly Love - thank you for your detailed review. Wonderful to read so many "pros" about your Costa Rica stay with us. You will be happy to know that the country has passed very strict smoking laws and only the beaches, which are all public in Costa Rica are exempt of the law. And with our resort location being on the tip of the peninsula, it allows us to have two permanent beaches that stretch over many hundred meters on either side - ready for you to enjoy energizing swims and amazing sunsets. Looking forward to a next time soon - do not wait to book your next trip! Pura Vida, Pascal Forotti, General Manager.

Been to Four Seasons Resort Costa Rica at Peninsula Papagayo? Share your experiences!