“Remarkable Family Adventure” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Four Seasons Resort Costa Rica at Peninsula Papagayo

Save Saved
You added Four Seasons Resort Costa Rica at Peninsula Papagayo to your Saves list
Four Seasons Resort Costa Rica at Peninsula Papagayo
Ranked #2 of 16 hotels in Gulf of Papagayo
New York City, New York
“Remarkable Family Adventure”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 5, 2013

The Four Seasons Papagayo is a truly remarkable family resort! We spent 8 days there in mid May during the transition season and truly enjoyed the relaxed vibe. My daughter fell in love with the Four Seasons Kid's Camp and spent most of her time avoiding her parents--after all, how could we compete with the women at kid's camp who painted her face, gave her cooking lessons, helped her swim, put sunscreen on her, and combed out her hair with pineapple detangler! Truly remarkable. My wife fell in love with the pools, spa, and sunset walks along the two beaches. My mother fell in love with the golf course, local service providers, and delicious food (and margaritas). Overall, the resort treated our family wonderfully and provided us an excellent setting to create lasting memories.

Room Tip: The Canopy Plunge Pool Suite is amazing!
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
PFFSCOS, General Manager at Four Seasons Resort Costa Rica at Peninsula Papagayo, responded to this review, June 7, 2013
Dear Guest, we know that our most precious treasure is our kids, thus we always strive to give them only the best. Our staff at the kids club are always looking for new, fun and exciting activities to keep our youngest guests as happy as they can be. We are glad they had a great time. Thank you for the great comments. Pura Vida, Pascal F., General Manager.

1,048 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (242)
Phoenix, Arizona
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2013

This is our third trip to this resort in the last three years, so I guess it goes without saying that I highly recommend this location. The General Manager has changed since our first visit, but it is great to see that the unbelievable service continues! The resort continues to be clean and safe. As has been stated a few times by others, the resort is remote. If you are looking to tour Costa Rica, this is probably not a good base to do so. If you are looking to get away and relax, this is THE place! Three pools, always cleaned every morning and then during the day as needed. Two beaches, one for sunrise, the other for sunset. At sunset they place cushions on the beach and serve beverages, with music. If you so desire, your can take a quick boat ride over to Coco Beach (small shops) for a four hour stay. The gold course is a typical resort course regarding the level of difficulty. The course has tremendous views of the ocean and the bay. The gold course also has something called the Trail of the Giants (giants are the trees). If you don't golf, you must take this tour. Your guide will take you around the golf course to view howler monkeys, white faced monkeys, iguanas, and coatis (they are similar to racoons). At the golf course they also have clay and grass tennis courts (few resorts have grass courts anymore).

Room Tip: All the standard rooms have water view, either ocean or bay. If you can afford to upgrade, the suit...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
PFFSCOS, General Manager at Four Seasons Resort Costa Rica at Peninsula Papagayo, responded to this review, June 5, 2013
Dear TravelGuy, I am happy to read that you, as a loyal and regular guest, highly recommend us to others and that even after a new General Manager ;) arrived, you are enjoying our destination. With new activities and services, like the Burger Shack, cooking and cocktail classes, we try to fill your days and entertain you. No need to go anywhere else. Looking forward to your next visit and many more happy smiles! Pura Vida, Pascal F., General Manager.
Tampa
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2013

My husband and I stayed here for 4 nights. We booked a package with resort credit and originally booked a canopy suite and were pleasantly surprised to be upgraded to a One bedroom villa with a plunge pool and a washer and dryer and detergent. I immediately threw some laundry in on the cold setting and the water was scalding hot so the first hour of our stay was spent retrieving the hot wet laundry so it would not shrink and with the engineer who fixed the crossed water line.
We have previously stayed at a 4S in Hangzhou, China and were spoiled rotten and I became a 4S convert so my expectations for this property were admittedly very high.
It was raining heavily at arrival, in May, they say is transition but to me it was rainy season.
We booked our transportation to the hotel through Tours Your Way and Mainor showed us the Prieta Beach Club that the 4S have access to. We appreciated that and ate at Marea there our first night. The beach club has a great location. The food at Marea was delicious and fresh and the service was impeccable. I ordered the Mahi and my husband had Tuna and both entrees were very good. The crab brûlée appetizer was to die for. We loved having a refrigerator in our room so we took leftovers home. I did not think the prices were out of line for the location, quality, and service.
We ordered room service for breakfast and enjoyed it on our balcony overlooking the monkeys, birds, and the ocean. Breakfast for one was large enough to split for two! We again saved leftovers. I ordered the "Costa Rican Sunrise" breakfast and I thought the price for that was reasonable. We stopped at the Jumbo Mart in Liberia for some snacks and drinks to bring with as well.
There was a free short game golf clinic that morning so we signed up and it ended up being just 4 of us and 2 instructors, Rodney the Pro and Jessie, who was assisting and was really fun to talk to. We really enjoyed the golf clinic and also played immediately after. During the free clinic they brought us cold wet washcloths and cold bottles of water, which we really appreciated due to the heat. When we arrived at the resort, they saw our golf bags and asked if we wanted them sent directly to the club, and when it was time for our tee time, our clubs were unpacked and ready for us to play. The service at the golf course was exceptionally good. Yes, it was pricey to play, but it was in flawless condition with excellent ocean views and monkeys! We got rained out so we played the back nine the next morning before the rain started. The burger shack at the golf course was delicious and reasonably priced. I had the mahi burger, which was fantastic and my husband had the corn dogs which were local and very good.
There is not a lot to do at the resort in the rain. The plunge pool in our villa was a little cold so we were not able to swim in the rain but we did have 2 lounge chairs that were covered, although the two eating areas we had were uncovered so in the rain, you are eating inside.
Dinner that night was at Di Mare and it was a dreadful experience. The food was ok. But the service, especially for the price, and compared to Marea the night before, was abysmal. We ordered a primi to share and they did not bring us any plates. We went a very long time without water several times. We had a bottle of prosecco and went without a drink for 20+ minutes. The dessert menu took 10 minutes to procure. Our entree took 20 minutes to arrive. I had to ask again for water. The food was only ok. The service was so terrible, I was planning to eat dinner only at Marea for the rest of our visit.

The next night, however, we decided to eat at Tico's and I'm really glad we did. They have live music there every night and it was really good music. The food was delicious and the service was great. We liked the smaller portions, the sushi, and shared tapas-style. The desserts were also heavenly. We liked it so much we ate there again the next night. The Latin Pizza was delicious and the beef patties were amazing. Again, the next night the service was amazing.

The hotel had free coffee and tea outside of Papagayo restaurant and the free coffee in the room was delicious.

We never ate breakfast at the buffet or the restaurant. we had leftovers and room service.

The resort has several water stations with purified water available so just bring a water bottle and refill.

Our pool light in our plunge pool was not operational so we asked them to fix it. They were supposed to come by the next morning but they never did, so we called them again, and they fixed it. When we checked out, the very nice lady who did remembered we had that issue and apologized, which I thought was nice. She also remembered that my husband had called down to the front desk to ask about live music. It was a good 4S touch, but we were checking out. I was expecting more "seasoning" during our stay.

The turndown service was nice but I really missed chocolates. We stayed at Nayara at Arenal and they gave us little chocolates that we would have with breakfast coffee the next morning. it's trivial but at these prices some chocolates would be nice.
they sometimes put out bottles of water, and sometimes they forgot, it seemed inconsistent.
Be sure to ask for a Resort Map when you check in as we were not given one until our last day when we wanted to do the sunset hike that we missed on account of the rain. They have 750 stairs on one side of the beach and 550 stairs on the other and you can do the whole circuit. It was fun to do! They lead guided hikes but the weather never cooperated with us.
There were a lot of events you could participate in but the only thing we did was the golf clinic.
We had 2 dishtowels in our kitchen and housekeeping took them when they were dirty but did not replace them. It was a little strange.

We went to the adult pool for a half hour when the weather was decent and it was nice, with a good view of the water and you could hear the ocean. For sunset they have live music on the beach and some cocktails, and we really enjoyed that.
The materials in the room were very high-quality. Our shower was a gorgeous stone and they had original artwork arrayed everywhere. It was very nice. The appliances in the kitchen were very top-notch.
We loved having bath mats in the sink area of the bathroom. That is such a nice touch, I usually have to drag a towel over. Also the toilet paper was very soft and of good quality, both of us mentioned it so it must have been good. The bed and linens were comfortable. We wanted them to change the sheets one day so I just stripped the bed and it was a Stearns and Foster mattress.

We really enjoyed chatting with Luis, who used to be in activities but now is in reservation sales on our last day waiting for the driver. It was a spontaneous conversation that we really appreciated. It reminded me why I like 4S hotels so much.

One quibble I had was our in-room mini bar was not stocked with any wines. We could have called and asked for them, but at at 4S I don't feel we should have to. They strive for anticipatory and intuitive service.

We did NOT do the Trail of the Giants because we played golf every day. We talked to a concierge who said that if you played golf and saw the animals, which we did, then you don't need to take the tour. We went in the large whirlpool with a waterfall instead and then hung out at the pool bar where the great bartender was good company.

We used Tours Your Way to return to the airport again. He charged $80 for two of us in private transportation back to the airport.

The Ocean water looked nice but when I went in, my skin got really irritated so I got out right away. It was still nice to hear the ocean waves and the resort had plenty of hammocks around the property. There was always room at all 3 of the pools, it did not feel crowded. Nor did I think that the restaurants were too close together. The design and the architecture of the resort and rooms was beautiful.

We enjoyed our stay.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear HVB, I am glad you had a great stay in our slice of paradise. Always wonderful to read such extensive feedback – we all appreciate it and learn from it. I will share your comments with our teams so we can improve on some of the things you mention, such as the mini bar restocking, or the service at Di Mare. We want for our guests’ stays only perfection! The next stay will be even better – promise! Best regards, Pascal F., General Manager.
the woodlands, texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 31, 2013

We just completed 8 nights in lovely Costa Rica at the Four Seasons resort on the Papagayo Peninsula. We thoroughly enjoyed our time there. The service is excellent and the Brisa room we had was wonderful. We were in room 2209. The Brisa room made our longer than usual stay bearable for one destination. The large screened in veranda made the exterior of the place accessible to us day and night and that was especially nice whether it was breakfast or dinner in the room, having it on the veranda made it vacation!

Philadelphia, PA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2013

This hotel was AMAZING. From the friendly service, the amazing views, the wonderful food and entertaining bars... everything was top notch.

We ate breakfast in the main restaurant most of our stay. They were very accommodating! Pretty much anything you want...they'll make it. They also had a daily fresh juice that rotated each day, and was always very refreshing. The main pool was fantastic...but we really enjoyed the quiet pool too. Food and beverage service poolside...you can't beat it!

The spa was to DIE for. I felt like jelly after my massage and facial...and that was a good thing!

Our room overlooked part of the water and had a screened in porch. We kept it open most nights to hear the monkeys and birds outside. So serene and tropical. Recommend taking the Giants tour of the golf course...no golfing necessary. It was awesome.

We are already planning our trip back!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
PFFSCOS, General Manager at Four Seasons Resort Costa Rica at Peninsula Papagayo, responded to this review, May 31, 2013
Dear Amos, so happy to read your feedback and comments about your most recent stay. Happy to know you enjoyed our restaurants and with a breakfast buffet offering over 70 different items, I am sure you were ready for the day, every day. The Spa - a dream indeed, with many awards and most important, many guests feeling like “jelly” once they get out of their treatment.
I sincerely hope we may be able to welcome you again in the future, so we keep amazing you! Best regards, Pascal F., General Manager.
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2013

We just returned from this resort for our honeymoon and we loved every minute! The service is top notch, the food is amazing, the staff is extremely friendly and helpful, we do not have one bad thing to say. The hotel is very secluded, very quiet at night, but it is exactly what we were looking for. The restaurants on the premise were amazing, every meal we had was delicious! the poolside staff is extremely attentive. The beaches were clean, lots of lounge chairs. There are a ton of recreational activities to choose from during the day, both at the hotel and in the area. We stayed in a basic room, but it was still very impressive. We loved the screened-in terrace where we could look out onto the ocean. The property itself was breathtaking, not too much all of the wildlife. We truly had the best vacation, we will definitely be returning!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Once again, congratulations on your honeymoon and if you stay with us on your anniversary date, we offer you a romantic beach dinner – deal? A wonderful resort indeed for couples to relax and reconnect from the busy lives we all have – with lots of fun activities to do as a couple: cooking classes, nature hikes, stand-up paddle board around the peninsula and couple’s massage to end it all. Pura Vida, Pascal F., General Manager.
Los Angeles, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2013

The upsides: Two private beaches sandwich 3 beautiful pools, 4 restaurants and all-ocean-facing rooms. Tranquil, beautiful and full-service. You will be pampered by smiling, caring and intelligent service professionals. The rooms are comfortable and relaxed, yet elegant. The resort will provide you with everything and anything you need or want to make your vacation incredible. There is plenty of peaceful, quiet and adult-only space, but there is everything for a family with young or teenage kids. In fact, they will take your kids on an adventure for an hour or eight hours and your kids will have a blast !! The resort is big enough to give you space and every possible option, but the spaces feel private and comfortable enough to give the sense of a very private boutique hotel. We went scuba-diving a few days and note that people hired fishing charters. The boats pull right up to the private beach. (Note the beaches are, by law, "public," but, by location, it is absolutely and unavoidably "private" to the hotel and the surrounding resort community.)

There are 2 beaches with both shade tree portions and open to the sun portions; both overflowing with big comfortable resort lounge chairs with full-service from the very attentive four-seasons staff. From one beach, you walk up some stone stairs, past the three pools, down the stairs and you are at the other beach on the opposite side of the peninsula - travel time - 1 minute. The staff will say things like "Oh, that's on the other side/ the other beach" as if it's a day's journey away; you have to be there to understand, but it makes you laugh (I'm smiling as I type this).

The down-sides: This is REMOTE. Drive through 45 minutes of mostly barren farmland to arrive to the entrance to this Resort community. From the entrance, drive another 15 minutes on twisty canyon road to get to the Hotel. If you want to play golf, it's a 5-minute shuttle ride (excellent course), want to go to the special "beach-club" (very nice) a 5-minute shuttle ride. The shuttles are complimentary, prompt and very nice. You can take a day-trip to somewhere else in Costa Rica, but you will be driving over an hour to get anywhere (note that we found some of the drives interesting and fun). The restaurants are typically very good, not awesome (by foodie standards) and you are not going to get the "real local fare". If you want the full "Costa Rica" experience, plan at least one day trip somewhere at least 2 hours away.

Beaches and the beach service are wonderful, great snorkeling off of Playa Blanca (please don't touch the fish, the coral or the rocks under water, every human touch kills the ecosystem and it does not grow back). However, ants are everywhere on the ground and the mosquitoes will eat you alive. The resort supplies a phenomenal bug spray, just ask for it and don't leave your room without dousing yourself. If you keep yourself well-sprayed, you will be fine and un-pestered, but go out at night with perfume and you will not be happy. So, if you want to dress up for dinner and smell nice for your mate, make plans for an indoor dining experience. (By the way, if you do get bitten, as soon as possible rub some diluted amonia (yes, diluted amonia) on the bite, it will be gone in minutes. Some of the insect-relief "sticks" are simply diluted amonia, but you can just mix some amonia and water and bring it with you and apply with a cotton-ball.)

Finally, the last "down-side", the price of food and drinks. Even though labor costs, land and commodity costs are very low for the resort, you will be paying top dollar for everything you consume. The prices would be on the high end, but would not seem outrageous if you were in downtown Manhattan, Los Angeles, London or Tokyo, but they seem outrageous in the middle of nowhere. And the fact that you have no other local options, makes it seem a little sad and unfair. There is nothing else like this in Costa Rica (we also stayed at the all-inclusive Westin, which is very nice and fun, but the "Lexus" to the Four-Seasons "Rolls Royce" experience), but to enjoy it you need to either (i) mentally prepare for an extra $200 per person/per day (very moderate drinkers, not "heavy) or (ii) rent one of the houses and bring food and beverages (there are grocery and liquor stores on the way from the airport).

We will most likely return to this resort.

Room Tip: All of the rooms are awesome. You can see the ocean through the trees, so you don't need to spe...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Scott, thank you for taking the time to write such a nice and detailed review of our resort. There is not much to add, other than we appreciate your loyalty and sincerely hope you can hop into this Rolls Royce again soon! Pura Vida, Pascal F., General Manager.

Been to Four Seasons Resort Costa Rica at Peninsula Papagayo? Share your experiences!