Save Saved
You added Four Seasons Resort Costa Rica at Peninsula Papagayo to your Saves list
Four Seasons Resort Costa Rica at Peninsula Papagayo
5.0 of 5 Resort   |   Peninsula Papagayo, Costa Rica   |
Hotel packages
Special Offer
Fifth Night Free!
Ranked #2 of 16 hotels in Gulf of Papagayo
“Excellent”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 18, 2013 via mobile

My husband and I "won" a trip to the FourSeasons in a charity auction and had high expectations. I must say all of those expectations were met. Our room (a Canopy Suite) was beautiful - the best part was getting up at 5:30 to have a cup of coffee and watch the birds, monkeys and fishing boats. I absolutely loved being able to watch the day begin. We ordered breakfast on a patio a couple of days and it was wonderful and much cheaper than the buffet which was delicious...

The concierge staff booked us in a tour of Palo Verde National Park where we saw tons of crocs, birds, and iguana. They also booked us for zip lining at Witches Rock (I definitely am more out of shape than I thought) and the Walk of the Giants. All excursions were great fun and we seemed to be plugged into the same group for all trips so it was like going twitch friends.

We tried dinner at Congo, Papgayo, Caracol, and Del Mare. The best two were easily Congo (go hungry or not at all) and Cel Mare. I was disappointed with Caracol - the quality of the food or drink didn't fit the price - although I will say their "Best chocolate cake you will ever eat" lives up to its billing. The Papagayo restaurant was okay but I would skip this one if I had to choose.

The service was perfect - our room was cleaned and the little touches, a linen doily for my nightstand and always stocked water and coffee showed the extras were there. When we were met at check-in and taken directly to our room to cool off, it was really a nice touch. The pool staff was very nice although we did have to look for service quite often - but then maybe I was drinking the Guaritos a little faster than I thought.

The beaches were lovely and it was nice to be able to take a dip in the afternoon. I would suggest not actually swimming in the pools as there seemed to be a lot of alcohol being consumed and very few of us actually leaving the pool area to go to the restroom - gross actually...it may be a thought to locate the facilities closer to the pool.

My biggest complaint for our trip was not with the accommodations or the staff but with people who brought their kids and then let them run wild. I watched Charlie by the pool monitor kids climbing over the rail on the bridge while parents stood by and actually encouraged them, then later another team of waiters try to manage three children at Caracol while the kids kicked the glass walls (we were seated on the other side of the wall which may be why our dinner did not live up to the expectation), break the salt shaker, throw food on the floor and in general make a huge mess (all I can say is I am glad we were outside the glass). There has to be a better way to put families with children into the mix, without putting the staff in the position of having to try to play parent when obviously the parents aren't. It did put a damper on the evening for us.

All in all, our trip on May 7-11 was a dream come true and I can wholehearted recommend Costa Rica and the Four Seasons. Pura Vida!

Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
PFFSCOS, General Manager at Four Seasons Resort Costa Rica at Peninsula Papagayo, responded to this review, May 22, 2013
Dear Kathy, thank you for your comments. I am glad you enjoy your stay at our Resort and were able to experience the beauties of Costa Rica as well. We are lucky to be in such a beautiful place and I am so happy you got to see so many animals at Palo Verde. I am sorry to hear about the expeience at Caracol. We have a new Organic Garden Chef's Table experience at Caracol and Chef's table at Di Mare that are adult only and many kids activities during the day and night to keep young guests busy. I hope you and your husband may be able to come again! Pura Vida, Pascal F., General Manager.

1,033 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (240)
Richmond, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 18, 2013

I just arrived home late last night after staying at the Four Seasons. The staff, room and facilities are first class. However, I was one of the unlucky ones and caught the stomach bug that's going around. I caught it on Monday night and still have it today (Sat.). I went to the resort doctor and was prescribed three different medications- Colica, Hidrasec and Parenterol. Unfortunately none of them worked. I've been to this Four Seasons many times and never experienced this. Truth be told, I think it's in the water. While trying to eat dinner, I overheard another guest stating that his wife was sick. I spoke to him and she had the exact same symptoms as me. He stated that 16 other people in his corporate group had the same thing.

This morning I woke up and went to straight to my doctor. He said that I should have been put on an antibiotic. Hopefully this will work. My advice to everyone is to not drink the water, even while brushing your teeth. Hopefully the Four Seasons will take this seriously and fix this problem immediately.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Brooke, I am very sorry to hear you were sick during your visit to Four Seasons Costa Rica. There is a virus that has affected the overall Guanacaste area and based on symptoms of guests and employees who have been affected, we believe the illnesses were not caused by food or water but a virus brought in from outside the region. The health, safety and security of our guests and employees is our top priority and we have extremely stringent, long-standing health and sanitation guidelines including practices respecting the proper preparation and handling of food and these guidelnes are taken very seriously. In Costa Rica, our resort receives quarterly inspections from the local health authority and the resort has consistently received extremely high scores based on all tests relating to food safety, water safety and other critcal factors. It is our goal that everyone leaves the resort with wonderful memories and I again, I apologize that your trip was not as perfect as we would have wanted it to be. Pascal Forotti, General Manager.
El Dorado Hills, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 18, 2013

Our family stayed at the Four Seasons for 6 days/5 nights in late April. We can’t say enough great things about our stay! From check-in to check-out, our experience was absolutely superb.

When we arrived at the resort, we were promptly greeted with cool towels, juices and a stuffed jungle animal for our 4-year old. Even better, they took one look at our ragged-from-a-full-day-of-international-travel group – mom, dad, a 4 year old and a 7 month old – and whisked us right to our room, putting off the check-in process until later that evening.

Our room (we stayed in a 2-room residence) was spacious, beautifully appointed, with a full kitchen and a large covered patio with a built-in barbeque and retractable bug screen. Our four year old loved finding his name written on the tub with stickers, accompanied by a kid-sized robe, bath toys and bubble bath – a great welcoming touch!

The resort grounds are gorgeous. While most of the surrounding areas in Guanacaste are quite brown this time of year, the resort itself is lush and green and incredibly well-maintained (with lots of monkeys, iguanas and beautiful birds to keep you company!) The resort’s design makes it blend seamlessly with the surrounding hillsides. The resort’s location on an isthmus provides access to two beaches, no more than a few hundred yards apart from one another. Both beaches have lots of shade (important during the hot season!) and are very swimmable, even for smaller children. One of the beaches has an incredible sunset view – every evening the Four Seasons folks put out blankets, cushions and provide live music for a truly memorable sunset experience. The pools are nice as well, although we spent most of our time at the beaches. Our 4-year old did love the free ice cream by the pools!

We were also impressed by the food at the resort. The resort is pretty isolated from any local towns or restaurants -- making the quality of the on-property restaurants even more critical. We found both the quality and variety of the food to be exceptional (even taking into account typical resort food prices). Our favorite thing to do was to hang out for dinner at the outdoor lounge near the pools – the food was casual but yummy, the area had couches that our family could spread out on, and the live music plus vibrant crowd noise made us be able to relax even if our kids were being a little fussy. (Over the week we made friends with several other families doing the same thing…) We also enjoyed the lunch service at the beach, which also offered a terrific menu – and had a wonderful romantic meal at Caracol steakhouse on our last night (taking advantage of the resort’s babysitting services!).

We didn’t take advantage of many of the activities offered – but we did play golf once and enjoyed a spa treatment. The golf course, while expensive, was beautiful and challenging, without beating an average golfer up. The views on several of the holes were amazing – particularly from the third hole, which provides a 360-degree view of the entire peninsula from a hilltop vista. The spa was lovely without being pretentious (unlike many other resort spas) – my wife had been looking forward to the “Purification ritual” for months (she’d look at the web site longingly to help get her through last days of her pregnancy!), and it lived up to its billing…

By far the best service for families is the Kid’s Club – available every day, for free, for kids 4 and up. It is basically a staffed playroom + kids pool. Our 4 year old absolutely loved the club – to the point where it we’d try to go pick him up, and he’d beg to stay longer (we were usually happy to oblige :-) ).

But for all of the great things above, what really makes this place magical is the service. We don’t know how Four Seasons does it, but almost without exception every staff person with whom we interacted with was genuinely warm, friendly and seemed dedicated to providing great service. One example: The beds in the rooms are pretty high off the floor, so on the first night we put a ring of pillows around our 4-year old to keep him from rolling off the bed. When we came back to our room the next afternoon, the housekeeping staff had noticed, and (without us saying a thing) had installed bed guardrails! Amazing.

Our absolute favorite staff member was Francisco, the main attendant during our many mornings on the beach. Francisco was incredibly friendly, funny and helpful. Every morning we’d show up, he’d greet us by name, pull together several chairs (in our favorite shady spot) for us + our infant to lay out on, and cover them with fresh towels. We really enjoyed getting to know him during our stay.

All in all, we had an amazing stay and can’t wait to return. We highly recommend this resort – especially to families!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Dear Melissa, it is great to know that you and your family had a great stay here in Guanacaste and thank you for your kind comments about our staff and service. It seems to me such a great idea that you want to come back -- there are lots of fun activities we have planned for our guests. For example, we have our complimentary summer program for kids 4-12, Camp Papagayo, a great set of activities for the kids starting this Memorial Day. Hope you can come visit us again! Pura Vida, Pascal F., General Manager.
Richmond, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 17, 2013

The Four Seasons Costa Rica is absolutely Fantastic! However,in the past week,over 20 staff and 20+ Guests have come down with a Stomach Virus and the Hotel is Mumm about what is causing this problem?Is it the water quality? Perhaps we will never know but the problem emanates from the Hotel itself.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Bruce, thank your for kind comments and I am very sorry that you were affected by the virus that has impacted the Guanacaste area. Based upon symptoms we have seen, we believe the illnesses have been caused by a virus and not by food or water. The health, safety and security of our guests and employees is our top priority and we have extremely stringent, long-standing health and sanitation guidelines including practices respecting the proper preparation and handling of food, and these guidelines are taken seriously. In Costa Rica, our resort receives quarterly inspections from the local health authority and we consistently receive extremely high scores on all tests relating to food safety, water safety and other critical factors. The vast majority of our guests and employees are totally healthy and unaffected but we still have a few isolated cases of people affected by the virus. Again, thank you for writing and I apologize your trip was not as completely positive as we would have liked. Regards, Pascal F., General Manager.
birmingham
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 17, 2013 via mobile

We had an incredible time at the Four Seasons resort celebrating our 10 year anniversary. When we arrived, we were warmly greeted with cool towels, fresh juice, and the great news that we had just been upgraded to a suite! What a treat this was as this was the most beautiful room we have ever stayed in. It was a like a private treehouse with a covered outdoor patio that overlooked the hillside leading to the ocean. We saw lots of wildlife thru out the week including plenty of iguanas and howler monkeys. The customer service was on top of their game and always had a great attitude willing to make your experience special. I thought the food was very good on the whole. We ate the breakfast buffet every morning - it was delicious and you could always add whatever else you wanted from the menu (ex Eggs Benedict) You will love the Costa Rica coffee and the fresh juice they 'make' everyday. For dinner - we at at Papagayos and the Caracoal steakhouse which were both enjoyable dinners. However, the best meal was at The Beach Club which Four Season guests have access too (5 minute drive). This was a true 5-star dining experience that was a step up from our other meals. We returned to the Beach Club during our final day and it was interesting how few people took advantage of this property. We were 2 of 4 people there for the entire day. You almost felt bad for the servers that waited on us but I think this is due that this is not really marketed by the FS that much. I played golf on their world class course - it was to bad that it rained for the 1st time in 6 months on my final 9 holes. However, it was an amazing course in spectacular condition. The holes with views of the ocean were like postcards. We took one excursion on the Gauchlipan adventure tour. Be sure to look up www.toursyourway.com with Mainor Lara for another option. The trip was a blast - I can't think of getting anything more adventure in a single day. We did horseback riding, tubing, canopy tour, waterfalls and the hot springs. Also - be sure to consider Lorraine Travel for the generous perks included when booking with them.

Thank you Four Seasons for the trip of a lifetime!

Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
london
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 16, 2013

Stayed here with all the family in march, stunning room - suite in the trees over looking the sea, the children and nanny stayed over looking the pool in the most basic category but still a v luxurious room. The service was unbeatable, i complained on the first day and the manger sorted everything instantaneously- highly professional. Other staff in some of the restaurants were not so switched on. Facilities outstanding ,as with all 4 seasons, and v good with kids. The food however was a real let down, sloppy, and mediocre throughout, very disappointing considering we paid about £7k for a 3 night stay. Saying all this i would go back, we held my father in law an impromptu b day lunch on the beach and they made a huge effort and really pulled things together in about 4 hours, so go but this is not for you if you are expecting a gourmet dining experience.

Room Tip: loved the tree top suites
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Dear Alexandra, thank you for your kind comments about our service and offerings for kids. I am sorry the food was not what you had hoped for - I will certainly share your input with our food and beverage team. I hope you can return back to stay with us and we can wow you in every respect of your experience! Pura Vida, Pascal F., General Manager
Boynton Beach, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 15, 2013

We had a wonderful time at Four Seasons Papagayo. It is the nicest resort experience we've ever had. The beaches and pools are beautiful, and the service was above excellent. No request was too difficult. From the moment we checked in until we drove away to the airport we were treated like royalty from a friendly and helpful staff. The only reason there was any category less than 5 stars was the location. If you're looking for a resort experience and will be happy not leaving the area, then this is the place for you. The closest town is a 45 minute drive or 15 minute boat ride but the boat only goes once a day. So it is a bit isolated on the peninsula but there are 2 beautiful beaches and 4 relaxing pools on the resort as well as lots of other things to do and organized activities.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Four Seasons Resort Costa Rica at Peninsula Papagayo? Share your experiences!