“This hotel is awesome. The rooms are incredible, the spa is over the top and the in room dining is exceptional.” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Four Seasons Resort Costa Rica at Peninsula Papagayo

Save Saved
You added Four Seasons Resort Costa Rica at Peninsula Papagayo to your Saves list
Four Seasons Resort Costa Rica at Peninsula Papagayo
5.0 of 5 Resort   |   Peninsula Papagayo, Costa Rica   |
Hotel packages
Special Offer
Fourth Night Free!
Ranked #1 of 16 Hotels in Gulf of Papagayo
Salt Lake City, Utah
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 1, 2013

I would recommend this hotel to anyone that is wanting a top notch experience. The hotel never felt crowded and we never had to wonder if there would be a beach chair for us. A must is going to the Beach Club. What a place! It was built for the luxury homes in the area and the Four Seasons guests have access to use it. The pool, beach and restraunt at the beach club were awesom!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
PFFSCOS, General Manager at Four Seasons Resort Costa Rica at Peninsula Papagayo, responded to this review, May 3, 2013
Dear Guest, I am glad you had a great experience at our property. Peninsula Papagayo is certainly a paradise, with so many gorgeous beaches, places to relax and experience pure nature. “Because you deserve it”, come back soon Pura Vida, Pascal F., General Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (253)
Ottawa, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 1, 2013

My wife and I spent 5 nights at the Four Seasons Papagayo in late April and loved it. The rooms are spacious with very comfortable beds, large bath/shower and a huge screened in (I assume to keep out the monkeys etc.) outdoor sitting area. We both used the spa facilities which were first rate. The staff go out of their way to use your name whenever possible and were always pleasant and helpful. We ate dinner at both the Golf Course restaurant and the Italian restaurant on site. Very nice meals that I thought were a tad pricey. The ambience of both restaurants was exceptional! The breakfast buffet had everything you could possibly imagine and if you like to eat a healthy, non-traditional breakfast you will be pleased with the choices available. If you like to spend your time poolside there is never an issue finding a spot (sun or shade). The staff are ever present to set you up with towels, drinks, sunscreen or whatever. They even cleaned my sunglasses for me! I especially like the misting feature which gives you a little cooling mist at 2 or 3 minute intervals. Very nice. There is no question that there is attention being paid to every detail to ensure your experience is excellent. I found the background music which is very subtle and prevalent wherever you are a bit bland. I suppose it is spa type music which to me is a bit boring. Fine in the spa but everywhere?
Overall, a resort that lives up to it's billing.

Room Tip: We had a room on the fourth floor facing the Pacific. The view was wonderful. Be sure to close your...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
Dear Don, it’s great to hear that you and your wife had a great stay in Costa Rica, and that you find it to be a beautiful country. We are very proud of our resort. Thank you for your comments and feedback regarding the music around the resort, I will look into it with our team, very good suggestion! You need to come back and give me your feedback live, while having a drink in Tico’s - my treat. Pura Vida, Pascal F., General Manager
Houston
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 30, 2013

My husband and I celebrated our anniversary here and honestly, the experince was even better than our honeymoon last year. We needed a relaxing, do nothing, stress free vacation experience, and Four Seasons Costa Rica was all that and more. The location is very isolated and easy trip from the Liberia airport. Prepare to go nowhere off of hotel grounds since everything (but the Witch's Rock Zipline) would take hours to venture to. This was fine with us because we were ready to do nothing.

They have 2 little beaches which never have more than 10-15 ppl on them. Very quiet and isolated. We went on the Catamaran sunset trip which offers snorkeling which we did not take part of, but it was a lovely experience nonetheless. The beach & pool staff are very friendly. Be aware, there is DAILY resort fee of 10% (in addition to taxes) that covers tips, so we didnt tip the staff since the resort fee is supposed to cover it. This was a HUGE splurge for us because this place is EXPENSIVE!! But we have no regrets and would gladly recommend it to everyone.

We had the cheapest room, and I must admit, it was one of the nicest rooms I've ever had the pleasure of staying in. Huge balcony area were you can sit and just enjoy the ocean just a few yards away. I recommend room service on the balcony since its about as expensive/cost effective as going to the hotel restaurants. Cheapest experience was the cooking demo experience with one of the hotel restaurant chefs. Book it because you get to make your own lunch! hehe :) And it was one of the yummiest meals too, but it depends on who the chef is that wk/month.

They gave us a great hotel rate discount offer after we checked out to return again by November & I think about it all the time now that I'm back to real life. It was fun to see how the rich people live, but it may be just one of those once in a lifetime memories. :)

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Anya, it is very nice to hear that you had a great stay and anniversary celebration! Staying at the resort and relax is just the best way to recharge your batteries – ready to go back to real life. Have you redone the dish from the cooking class, did it taste the same? I really hope you can take advantage of the specials we have on offer and get spoiled and pampered again. ! Pura Vida, Pascal F., General Manager
New Hampshire
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2013

I stayed at the Four Seasons for a week in April 2013. Overall the hotel is great, and I would return, but there is one incident that causes me to give it four stars instead of 5 (see number 4 below). Here are some factual observations:

1. The hotel is NOT near anything at all. You go here for the resort, and not the surroundings. We had a rental car during the week and it is at least a 30 minute drive to get to anything other than a zip line place nearby. There was a group of people that were looking to party when they checked in and they were quickly dismayed by the fact that there's nothing local nearby... We did drive to Coco beach one night, but that was at least 45 minutes (driving like a crazy person).

2. The hotel is beautiful, as you would expect at a Four Seasons. All of the rooms, pools, and restaurants are very close to one another. The beaches are nice, but they are NOT the white sand Caribbean/Balinese/Maldivian beaches that I've been to, thus we spent most of our time at the pool. There is a beach club, which isn't well advertised that people should check out. It isn't technically part of the FS, but effectively it is. You have full access to it as a guest, and you can charge to your room from the beach club. The restaurant there (Marea?) was our favorite.

3. The fitness center is very nice, and has lots of equipment.

4. My only issue with the Four Seasons is that they flat out lied to me about one issue. The FS doesn't change the sheets every day unless you ask for this, which I made sure to do since I sweat a lot (TMI???). I didn't believe they were actually changing the sheets so one day I marked the sheets. I had to call down four times IN ONE DAY to ask for the sheets to be changed and eventually the housekeeping manager came to my room and told me they were changed that day. I pointed out to him that I marked the sheets and that they had not been changed and I showed him the proof. At this point he acknowledged they hadn't been changed. It's not so much that I care about the sheets, but they should not have lied to me about it.

5. One odd thing that I've never experienced at any other hotel (I'm in hotels about 100/nights a year), is that I couldn't stop sweating when I slept (hence #3). I had the AC cranked down to 65 degrees, but something about the material of the bed made it very uncomfortable for me. I'm not sure there's anything the FS could do here, but just an observation.

6. We did the day trip to Nicaragua, which was very interesting. It was a very, very long day (6a - 9p), but it was worth it. Just be prepared to negotiate the customs gauntlet several times.

7. If you are hoping to experience Costa Rican culture here, forget about it. I hate to say it, but the resort is filled with people from the US. There is nothing Costa Rican about this place other than the Costa Rican beer and the use of local currency. I still enjoyed the resort, but it didn't feel very Costa Rican being surrounded by fellow Americans.

8. We paid to stay in one of the rooms on the 3-4 floor with the ocean view (around $775/night). While it was nice, I'm not sure the "ocean view" was worth the extra $250/night over the resort view rooms.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
PFFSCOS, General Manager at Four Seasons Resort Costa Rica at Peninsula Papagayo, responded to this review, May 2, 2013
Dear Guest, thank you so much for taking the time to share your thoughts about your experience. I appreciate your positive comments about our fitness facilities and the beauty of the resort. I am also glad you took the opportunity to do the excursion to Nicaragua and enjoyed the trip. I am sorry about your experience with our housekeeping staff and the linens and bed and I will certainly pass on your comments to our team. We take guest feedback seriously and certainly hope to use it as an opportunity to do better. We want everyone to have a wonderful time during their stay with us in the Peninsula Papagayo area and your comments are very useful in knowing where we can improve. Thanks again for sharing your thoughts. Pascal F., General Manager
London
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2013

Family of four, stayed 5 days at the end of April 13. Made the mistake of coming here after staying at a small eco-lodge in the Osa peninsula - so our experience of this resort was probably negatively effected by the comparison. Osa is a remote, pristine, lush tropical rainforest, while the Papagayo peninsula (a guide told us that the name had been changed from Snake Bay, for obvious reasons), is in Costa Rica's "dry forest" region (essentially dry scrub land, regularly burned by local farmers to clear for cattle grazing). We hoped to enjoy a relaxing beach break after the rainforest lodge, with some diving and snorkelling, but unfortunately this time of year wasn't ideal. There is good marine life nearby, but the visibility was poor and much of the sea and beach nearby was blighted by red tide when we were there. In addition, this hotel isn't set up for diving - you have to arrange everything through the concierge, who then communicates with the dive company. This led to considerable confusion and aggravation - after many phone calls our issue was sorted out when a manager intervened. The hotel itself is a vast luxury development, with beautifully manicured lawns (watered all day long), golf courses, several pools and several good restaurants and bars. It is essentially a box hotel, however, catering mainly to large corporate groups, and the kind of service you get is consistent with that kind of product. We experienced a very strange money-grubbing thing going on at this hotel - with such an expensive, high end product, it's surprising that they charge for things like wifi and the use of tennis rackets. We had the peculiar experience of arriving and being offered the chance to "upgrade" to a bigger better room, for over $1,000 more. When we said thanks, no thanks, we were told that "management has decided to give you the upgrade as we're sure you'll enjoy it so much you'll book it next time." Of course, when we got to the room, there were various welcome notes addressed to us, that made it clear they'd already decided to allocate the room to us (presumably because of over-booking), and were just having a go to extract an extra grand from us. Fair enough, I guess, but certainly left us keeping an eye on our wallets rather than feeling grateful. Even little things like breakfast turned into a nickel-and-diming exercise. If you don't go for the big buffet, and order something a la carte, they then charge you for every cup of coffee or juice they pour you. Nothing really major, but the inconsistency and constant little extra charges did become irritating. The facilities were of a very high standard - large, beautiful and comfortable rooms - and service was generally very good, as you'd expect from Four Seasons. If you get out of the pool-side area, you can see lots of interesting animals and birds (various kinds of monkeys swinging in the trees nearby), and the hotel arranges some great trips to national parks and other attractions in the region.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Dear Ned, your kind comments about our service and the rooms are very much appreciated. I am sorry that your experience in booking a diving experience was not more seamless and easy, and that you found the cost structure of various services not appropriate. We try our best to create a luxurious yet high value experience for guests and consistently offer special room offers and a number of complimentary activities and classes on site like cooking, nature hikes and our kids club, free for guests. But I can understand your comments and truly appreciate your feedback and will share with my team as it is invaluable for us in improving our product. Thank you again for taking the time to share your experience with us. Pura Vida, Pascal F., General Manager
Southampton, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 24, 2013

If you want pure luxury great service this is a great destination, tennis and golf are the best, spa is wonderful, one of the best four seasons in the world!!!!
Food was excellent and diversified with four great restaurants on property.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
Des Moines, Iowa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2013

I have had the opportunity to stay at 5 different Four Seasons locations over the years and this one takes the cake! The only one that is close to this location would be Hawaii, Hualalai. We hosted 80 producers and their guest at this location and it was nothing but the best! Location, staff, and layout for the property was 100% first class!

Room Tip: 2400 block of rooms has great views of sunset!
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
PFFSCOS, General Manager at Four Seasons Resort Costa Rica at Peninsula Papagayo, responded to this review, April 25, 2013
Good morning from the beaches of Costa Rica – and thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts and experiences about our resort with the Trip Advisor community. I am so glad to read you are rating us a 5 Star leader and you and 80 of your closest friends enjoyed Costa Rica, our staff and activities. We sincerely hope we are able to welcome you back again in the future and have you enjoy our summer season activities. Pura Vida to Iowa, Pascal F., General Manager

Been to Four Seasons Resort Costa Rica at Peninsula Papagayo? Share your experiences!