Save Saved
You added Four Seasons Resort Costa Rica at Peninsula Papagayo to your Saves list
Four Seasons Resort Costa Rica at Peninsula Papagayo
Ranked #1 of 16 Hotels in Gulf of Papagayo
San Francisco
“Perfect”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 19, 2013

I stayed here for 4 nights in April 2013 with my best girl friend. The rooms were beyond amazing, we had a screened in outside patio that overlooked the ocean, we swam in the pool late at night, laid out and swam in the pristine ocean by day. The service was excellent (both room service, restaurant and on the beach). I also enjoyed the gym, sauna and plunge pools to get me going in the morning. There is a hike that you can take up some steps that run along the ocean. It was really fun and we ran into some monkeys swinging and wrestling (TIP: Wake up early and head to the beach for the best monkey watching). After we left the Four Seasons we went down to Tamarindo. I liked the balance of luxury/resort coupled with the "real Costa Rica" experience. It was great to go here and relax with my best girl friend but I think this place is ideal for families and couples. Enjoy this beautiful setting!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
PFFSCOS, General Manager at Four Seasons Resort Costa Rica at Peninsula Papagayo, responded to this review, April 25, 2013
A great place for friends – Costa Rica and our resort for sure. And it seems that you have been very active while with us, taking advantage of our morning hikes, bird watching walks and chilling at the pools and your private terrace. Glad that the many restaurant options we have were to your liking, I wonder which one was your favorite? Maybe the Caracol Steakhouse at the Golf Club or our Italian Di Mare? I hope you will tell me the next time you come and stay with us – Pura Vida until then. Pascal F., General Manager.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (253)
Chicago
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 16, 2013

WOW. I had just decided the all inclusives are not the way to go because the food is usually not that great and I just don't drink enough to make it worth while. So when we walked through the door of the Costa Rica Four Season and they walked us to our room which was huge AND gorgeous, I thought if the food is good, we really are done with all inclusive. The porch facing the ocean was awesome and one of the best features of the rooms. The pools were fairly quiet, the hot tub excellent and the beach was very nice. There is a trial to hike/walk run from one side of the peninsula to the other and that was very pretty. Friends said that the golfing was amazing, we did not go. But the service was excellent pool side and even when we went to the front desk and simply asked for someone to take us to see the monkey's. One of the workers hopped in a golf cart and took us to see "los monos" and then drove us up to see the private houses with SPECTACULAR views. This trip it was my husband and I, and we said to each other every day that we should bring the kids back as they would love it. The food was very good at the Italian place and the seafood place. We could do with out the Brazilian Steak house, which was not very good. Breakfast was good, the coffee was great and my only regret was that we did not stop at the duty free liquor store on the way thru the airport. Everything was more expensive than I expected, so having some snacks and beer/liquor in the room would have been nice. We were only there for 5 days and our one excursion to the National Park was top notch! We do two vacations a year and this was a third, and truly was the best. You should GO as quickly as possible and stay as long as you can.

Room Tip: Ask for a room above the first floor as you can see the Monkey's more frequently, but know that...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
PFFSCOS, General Manager at Four Seasons Resort Costa Rica at Peninsula Papagayo, responded to this review, April 19, 2013
Dear guest,
What a great review - thank you for taking the time to share it with all of us. And please come back quickly, plenty of "monos" and friends around. And the nature changes, once the green season starts. And for your kids, we start our Summer Camp Papagayo shortly, they would have an amazing time and learn something at the same time. Sounds like a well deserved, fourth trip for this year! Pura Vida, Pascal F., General Manager
Sparks, Nevada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 14, 2013

We just recently returned from an outstanding trip to the Four Seasons Resort in Costa Rica. There we enjoyed beautiful accommodations, delicious food, clean beaches and outstanding and friendly service. My favorite part was the exquisite Spa on property. I would highly reccommend Julieth who performed my manicure and pedicure. She was gentle, friendly and definitely skilled in her abilities. My nails are still beautiful today,1 week later! I would absolutly request her for any of the therapies offered there. Thank you Julieth!!!! Overall, the trip was magnificent!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
PFFSCOS, General Manager at Four Seasons Resort Costa Rica at Peninsula Papagayo, responded to this review, April 18, 2013
Dear Linda, thank you for your feedback. It is great to hear that you enjoyed your spa service that much. We have shared your feedback with Julieth and her colleagues in Spa – this is the feedback that makes them proud of being part of Four Seasons. We are lucky to have such a great team! Next time try the freshly cut bamboo massage – out of this World. Pura Vida, Pascal F. General Manager.
Chapel Hill, North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 13, 2013

We went to Costa Rica as a family for spring break during the very busy Easter season. This is the best place to stay in Costa Rica. My kids did not stop talking about it for weeks afterward. We loved that the was fresh coffee brewed every morning before breakfast and the breakfast buffet was the best that i have ever eaten. It was a good thing that they had a good cycling class and fitness room to work off all the great food. The pools were really well laid out and my kids had hours of fun in them. We swam in the ocean and enjoyed the water as well as the water sports on the front side of the resort. Everything is close together so it is not a problem getting around. There was a kid's club that had good activities and a teen center. My kids watched the movie one night out of the lawn, had popcorn and sat on the couches that the counselors moved outside.

We would all love to return to this resort.

Room Tip: We liked our room two bedroom near the beach. very convenient.
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
Dear Julie, I appreciate your comments about your most recent stay with us over Easter break. Wonderful to know, you and your family had a great time at our property. Our young guests are certainly very important to us, so we always do our utmost to improve our kids club and teen center. Actually, starting this Memorial Day, we will offer our second annual Papagayo Summer Camp for kids in case you have the chance to return. I am sure they will talk about it for months! Regards, Pascal F., General Manager
NYC
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 12, 2013

We spent a week in this resort in a Cielo Room
Rooms - huge with an indoor/outdoor living room that can can be used for everything but sleeping. The bed was comfortable and the bathroom had a lovely soaking tub.
Resort- well spread out with plenty of sun loungers by all the pools. The pools service was good and the lower pool has free ice pops for kids all day long
Kids Club- wonderful! It was really like a well run day camp - Karen & Lillyanna were fantastic
Food - The restaurants were good, not great and in a small area of the hotel. Due to the large number of children there is not one "grown up" space - even the bar had kids fiddling on their ipads until all hours of the night. Also kids under five eat free - all meals - so parents take them to all restaurants
Babysitting - great as it is someone from the hotel but very expensive. Also, there is a a three hour minimum with a weird bus policy. Basically either your babysitter has to make an 8:30 bus or a 10:30 bus or there's a $50 surcharge. however you must come back 45 minutes to 15 minutes pre bus or the surcharge is applied anyway.
Concierge - excellent
Culture- minimal. You're in Costa Rica but you're far away from everything
Transfer from airport - horrible - they outsource this service to non English speaking drivers and manhandle all luggage

All in all - a very relaxing resort but really no need to go to CR for it. There is a complete lack of culture. Also there are kids everywhere - EVERYWHERE! And we had a child with us:). Even though kids can't sit @ the quiet pool they can scream on the grass right in front of the pool. The beaches were less crowded though you can't get lunch on the beaches b/c of monkeys. Ipads must be what parents do these days at dinner - you'd think there was an Apple Store in the bar. All in all this was a great vacation and the service was wonderful. But there's no way this is a honeymoon sot or a couples retreat - Disneyworld is more peaceful. We had a lovely break and highly recommend it for families but not for couples

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Dear Steph, thank you so much for taking the time to share your thoughts on your recent stay with us. We certainly appreciate your feedback and take your comments about our transportation services, the lack of local culture and most importantly the fact that you could not relax as you wanted, very seriously. With my team, we will review and improve and I sincerely hope we have the chance to welcome you back and show you the beauty Costa Rica and the resort have to offer. Regards, Pascal F., General Manager.
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 11, 2013

Great resort, beautiful setting, excellent customer service. I won't bother repeating the accolades heaped on by other reviewers - I'd certainly agree with all of the positive comments! - but I did want to share takeaways and tips from my recent trip with my significant other. (A) We stayed at a Barisa Room with ocean views and a terrace. The terrace is screened in which is awesome (the screen is barely visible and not obtrusive at all). The result is that you can hang out there, eat on the terrace, leave the doors open and listen to the ocean while you sleep with no fear of mosquitoes or other insects. Huge positive (B) Breakfast buffet is nice but at $45/person (that is the total with required 10% gratuity charge and tax) it gets to be a bit steep to do it daily. A nice experience once, but for other days I'd suggest doing room service for breakfast. Also, free coffee and tea is offered in the lounge right outside of Papagayo's during breakfast time (C) Do the Holistic Papagayo Pedicure at the spa. Best pedicure of my life. I think the person who helped me was named Gabriela. (D) Check out the on-site art gallery/cafe for beautiful ceramics , carvings and jewelry for sale by local Costa Rican artists. My favorite is Tony Jimenez. They also have some nice items at the gift shop within the hotel. Note: the Liberia airport also sells this stuff, but believe it or not, the prices seem more reasonable at the Four Season shops. (E) Difficult to arrange for a group tour on Sundays so plan accordingly. As we were traveling as a couple, if we wanted to do anything on Sunday - barring this insanely crazy climb a wall /go rappeling/ swing through the jungle adventure experience (no, thank you) - pretty much our only option through the hotel was to do a private tour for $600-$700. We opted out of the private tour and ended up doing a "non-recommended" fishing/boat through a local person who was soliciting for business on the beach. I am not suggesting/recommending you do it, but our trip turned out fine. (F) Heed the "Beware Jelly Fish" signs. Lots of Jellyfish - big and small - on the beach. (G) Go ziplining. Do the Papagayo Canopy tour rather than Witch's Rock. At the Papagayo Tour you get to zipline over the Tempisque River. (H) L'Occitante products in the bathroom - fab! Alas, all the samples I took from the hotel got confiscated at the airport. Note: Heed all the airport security signs. Word to the wise: There are two checkpoints for liquids. Once through security, another immediately prior to boarding the plane. They aren't kidding around...make sure your regulation size bottles are in a plastic, ziplock baggie, or prepare to go home empty-handed! In closing, awesome trip. Would definitely return to Four Seasons Papagayo. Our trip was during dry season so weather conditions were beach perfect, however, I'd be up for going during rainy/green season just to see how beautiful it must be there...and of course, would choose to stay at Four Seasons Papagayo!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Shuli, thank you for your kind words and taking the time to write this very detailed review. I am very happy to hear that you enjoyed most of your stay, and that you would like to visit us during the green season. As you say, it is beautiful in here during that time of the year and we have lots of indoor activities so our guests can enjoy the beauty of the green surroundings and have a great time at the same time! I hope you are able to return and experience more Pura Vida. Pascal F., General Manager.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 10, 2013

My mom and I went here over one of my school breaks, and it was fantastic! we were treated well and it it really truly first class! i can't say anything about the price because i don't know about it really or anything, but i had such an amazing time that i really don't even care. it was a little slice of heaven from the hard-working world and challenges in life. however, out of all the places i've been, (hawaii, paris, mexico, bahamas, etc, and out of all of the Four Seasons Hotels i've been to or visited, this is by far the most memorable. the views when you first arrive will take your breath away. the food was delicious, and the beaches were beautiful and amazing. there are also days where you can eat fabulous food on the beach where there are MASSIVE buffets! The hot tub spa is so relaxing, and all of the trips that you can go on are so much fun! this resort really does give you a first-class taste of Costa Rica. however, keep in mind that if you have sensitive skin, there are SOME microscopic jellyfish in the ocean, but they kind of move around to different areas. when i went on one of the snorkeling tours, i got bit quite a bit, so next time i'm just going to wear a long sleeve shirt designed for snorkeling. do not listen to ANY of the bad reviews! take it from somebody that had the time of her life there! there is a fantastic kids club and i even got my hair done! i can't wait to go back and experience this fun again! In some pictures, however the ocean doesn't look too clear, but no, the ocean is a gorgeous aqua-blue color and is exceptionally clear! don't forget to pack your shades and sunscreen, and have an amazing time!

Room Tip: If you choose the room closer to the pools and restaurants, then you're closer to everything and...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family

Been to Four Seasons Resort Costa Rica at Peninsula Papagayo? Share your experiences!