“"Wonderful Vacation"” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Four Seasons Resort Costa Rica at Peninsula Papagayo

Save Saved
You added Four Seasons Resort Costa Rica at Peninsula Papagayo to your Saves list
Four Seasons Resort Costa Rica at Peninsula Papagayo
Ranked #2 of 16 hotels in Gulf of Papagayo
North Plainfield, New Jersey
“"Wonderful Vacation"”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2012

My family and I stayed at the Four Seasons (FS) from November 3 through November 8th 2012 and had a great time with no rain. I made my own transportation arrangements from Liberia Airport to the FS resort and the ride took about 45 minutes in a private air conditioned van that charged $70. We stopped at a local grocery store along the way and loaded up with a huge supply of cookies, crackers and chips for our kids that ran $13. If you decide to purchase snacks before arriving at the FS, let the driver know within the first 5 minutes of the ride. If you go beyond 5 minutes out from Liberia Airport, there is practically nothing between that point and the rest of the way to the FS which is in a very isolated location.

Once we arrived at the FS, a small group of FS staff immediately greeted us upon stepping out of the van with cool wet cloths, fruit drinks and toys (stuffed animals) for our 5 and 9 year old kids while other staff moved our luggage to a golf cart. The FS staff informed us that they could not immediately upgrade our room as indicated by American Express due to no availability, but indicated that they will likely be able to upgrade the room tomorrow if we still wanted an upgrade. Nevertheless, the FS staff added that one nights stay would be free for booking five nights, my family would receive a free daily American breakfast at Papagayo restaurant, we received a $100 recreation credit that could be used for golf or spa services and guaranteed late 4PM checkout for booking through American Express Fine Hotels and Resorts program. We were then immediately whisked away to our room. We booked a second floor Brisa room with a double bed that was large and comfortable. The screened terrace was also large and comfortable, but it did not offer a great view of the water due to the large foilage from the trees. The room contained a delicious pastry snack that was sitting on the desk along with a card from the FS addressed to me indicating "Happy Birthday". The room also contained 4 bottles of complimentary bottled water and a bottle of complimentary insect repellent in the closet. The bathroom was large and luxurious with a deep soaking tub and a walk in shower. Written in colorful letters along the side of the bathtub were the names of our two children. The bathroom also contained cotton robes with FS logos for us and children's sized FS robes for the kids. I only had a few pretty minor gripes (besides the view) about this otherwise very comfortable room. The American Standard toilet in the bathroom has a low height (to me and I'm only 5'8'') and appeared cheap which stood out in an otherwise luxurious bathroom where significant money was spent. Additionally, the flat screen tv was a decent size, but did not display the tv programming in high definition and the standard definition picture was mediocre. We were complimentary upgraded the next day to the 3rd floor Cielo room which had less of a view of the water than the Brisa room due to looking through more tree foilage than looking between tree trunks. If you look out at the hotel from the water, you will see that all the floors (1 - 4) of the hotel in buildings #3 and #4 had their views obstructed due to tree foilage. (Building #2 appeared to be under renovation.) FS informed me the view improves when you are in the brown or dry season or if you want to upgrade to the hillside bedroom villas. The property has several shallow pools that my kids throughly enjoyed and the property has interesting artwork.

The food at the FS is expensive. One cheeseburger at the FS Congo Grill was $20. One can of soda from the minifridge in the room is $5. The best food value was the breakfast buffet at Papagayo's which was excellent, diverse and would otherwise have been $100+ a day if not for American Express which resulted in it being free. We also took a few bananas and other fruit for later in the day snacks at this buffet. Dinner at Di Mare was "okay", so long as you don't mind paying very high prices (you will spend a bare minimum of $150) for "okay" food. We enjoyed the dinner at Papagayo a "little better" and it was less expensive.

I strongly recommend you obtain the FS Activities Booklet for the "week" as soon as you arrive so you can plan in advance. FS puts out a "daily" activities sheet, but you really want the "weekly" activities booklet to plan. We took part in the once a day FS complimentary "Trail of Giants" tour around the golf course which was excellent and saw animals such as howler monkeys, iguana, hawks and other amazing animals. The views around the golf course during this tour are SPECTACULAR. My wife also took part in the FS complimentary cooking class and had a great time talking to the chefs and seeing the kitchen. FS also gave her one of those tall chef hats that she thought was cute. My wife and I took part in the FS complimentary kayak tour to Monkeyhead - (a tiny atoll with a rock face that is shaped like a monkey head) which took 1 1/2 hours. I recommend that you are in half decent shape because you will do a lot of rowing in that kayak and my wife indicated she wasn't going to build up a sweat so I did almost all the rowing. My son and I also took part in the FS complimentary sunset hike. I strongly recommend that you are in decent shape for the hike. The hike involves climbing 500 steep stairs (no exaggeration) followed by climbing a dirt trail up a hill that "gassed" most of the participants to reach a high point and see the spectacular sunset. It reminded me of "sprints up stadium stairs" and you're legs will definetely feel it. The exercise room is excellent and my wife enjoyed the spa at the FS. Just note that there are almost no services at the spa that cost less than $150 before tax and service charge. The Goombay catamaran sunset cruise booked through FS was also an excellent value to us. Children under the age of 10 are complimentary and the cost was $220 for 4 of use to enjoy the 3 1/2 hour cruise from 2:30p to 6p which included snacks, alcohol, swimming, snorkeling and seeing a spectacular sunset on the water.

The FS complimentary Kids For All Seasons Club (KFAS) has a nice (somewhat small) club room and its own pool. KFAS was virtually empty our entire stay there, but was enjoyed by my 5 year old who made bead bracelets with the staff. My 9 year old felt more comfortable in the Teen Center and had a great time with water polo, the hoops challenge and the Nintendo Wii system.

The staff and service at the FS was excellent. For example, my daughter had a headache one evening and the waitress at Papagayo indicated the following, "Here is my personal phone number. If the gift shop does not have the medicine your daughter needs, call me and I will drive to the local town for you to pick up what you need and bring it back." In another example, the FS staff overheard my wife mention she brought the wrong charger (she brought a cellphone charger) for her digital camera. The FS staff indicated that they would take the camera to their IT staff to look at it and see if they could find a way to recharge the camera. The staff tells you "mucho gusto", "de nada", "absolutely" and "right away" so much its almost robotic.

Overall, we really enjoyed the FS and my 5 year old cried asking me why we couldn't live here. We would definetely return here again.

Room Tip: Get a hillside villa if you want a decent view of the water. The view from a second floor Brisa roo...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family

1,047 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (241)
San Francisco, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2012

Just returned from an incredible stay at the FS Costa Rica. Impressive property with the usual under-stated yet impressive FS service and quality. Upgraded to a Canopy Suite from a standard room and was well worth the hike (or drive) up the hill. Incredible views and potential interactions with the wildlife. Food and service were amazing. Prices seemed steeper than other FS properties but expected considering the brand.

Very easy to get into the daily rhythm of property...the 3 pools and 2 beaches offered something for everyone and the ocean and bay waters were incredibly warm. We stayed 4 nights after a very active 3 nights in the Arenal volcano area of CR...so this was the perfect way to wind down after 4 active days of zip lining, hiking and rafting. The property does offer reasonable excursions to the surrounding areas and we opted for 1/2 day escorted river ride which included copious sightings of crocs, birds, monkeys and iguanas followed by a great lunch overlooking the river. Pretty cool. As other reviewers commented, this property is definitely secluded which adds to its ambiance but do not expect to come and go frequently...but then again, you shouldn't want to either! Highly recommend this location for a secluded getaway!

Room Tip: Splurge on a Canopy Suite...the walk (or drive) up the hill is worth it!
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Jamestown, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 9, 2012

My wife and i attended a business meeting at the Four Seasons in October 2012. The resort is in very nice shape and the staff is extremely professional. As the resort is on a peninsula, it shares beaches to a bay and the Pacific Ocean. Within a five minute walk you can be on each of the shores.
If you are a beach lover, the beaches are not the cleanest as in most of the Caribbean. However, thre views are beautiful.
As indicated, we were there for business and the quality of the facility for meetings was fantastic. Breakout areas were available and catering was impeccable.
One down side to the resort that i see is the cost. My wife and I have travelled extensively throughout Mexico and the Caribbean. Comparitively, the Four Seasons was 2x the cost of our other travels. For example, our breakfast buffet one morning was $90 including tip.
All in all though, this is a quality resort and well worth the trip.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
FSCos, General Manager at Four Seasons Resort Costa Rica at Peninsula Papagayo, responded to this review, November 15, 2012
I am glad that you enjoy your stay with us and found our staff professional. They are the most important asset of our property and strive to give our guests always the best possible service. Pura Vida,
Pascal
General Manager.
Tucson, Arizona
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2012

I have never had a bad stay at a Four Seasons Resort and this property certaintly did not disappoint me. However, the only thing that Trip Advisor readers need to know, is that the resort is located very far out, far away from everything. Don't worry, the resort has plenty to do, so you will not be disappointed. If you play golf, the course is beautiful and less expensive in the afternoon. The staff is stellar and you can even rent a car if you choose to drive to the nearest town for a change of scenery!

Room Tip: Ask for a view of the ocean
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Miami, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

I came yesterday from the Four Seasons Hotel in Liberia, Costa Rica. Everything was top notch- from the food, to the room's and Suites.

The attention to detail at The Four Seasons is truly impressive. The rooms are luxurious, beautiful, comfortable and sensible. The balconies are screened as to prevent the local critters from disrupting your visit.

The bathrooms are large sizes. I've seen and the views from every point of the hotel are simply spectacular. The staff are so attentive, knowledgeable, and professional.

You will not have to wait for a glass of water to be refilled or for someone to greet you and attend to your needs. The food is all excellent level and you can order off of any menu wherever you are in the resort. You will feel like royalty at Four Seasons Papagayo

Room Tip: The lowest rates are the terraza rooms located ground level but a great location.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
It is so pleasant to read your positive feedback about our resort. We are very proud of our property, and very happy to learn that you enjoy all about it, your room the food and the staff. We look forward to welcoming you again so we can give you that royal treatment that you certainly deserve. Pura Vida,
Pascal
Livermore, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

We spent 5 nights here with my 12 yr old son and husband. It is a beautiful destination resort. They have a wonderful teen center with numerous activities, gaming and sports equipment. The rooms are wonderful, even the basic ones. They have a screened in huge sun room attached to the bedroom. There are 3 pools and hot tubs with excellent service. There are two pristine beaches. One set for swimming only and the other for activities such as snorkeling, kayaking, sailing, wind surfing and more. Numerous excellent restaurants but they can be expensive. The list of activities available on a daily basis appeal to all interests. They had a mixology class which we loved. Then there is dance lessons, spanish and cooking lessons for example.

Room Tip: Look for special offers. We got the stay 4 nights and get the 5th night free.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
What a wonderful review. We love when our guests are able to enjoy our resort at all of its extent. Our teams are always looking for new activities for you to do so you can take advantage of all of our facilities. I can totally assure you will love the super exciting activities there will be the next time you visit us!
Cheers, Pascal, General Manager.
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 1, 2012

The trip overall was a 10 / 10. Everything about the resort is exactly what you would expect from a 5 star hotel. The only (small) issue we had was our room when we checked in. We had booked a 1 bedroom suite with a plunge pool. We were expecting a room with a view akin to those pictured on the Four Season's website. Instead we were given a room with a view of 3 feet of grass and some foliage -basically a green wall (my apt in NYC has a nicer view). The room itself was very nicely appointed but by being somewhat lacking in light and views lacked the majesty that was sold and we were expecting.

To their credit- upon calling the font desk and asking for a room with a better view they upgraded us to a 3 bedroom suite (no charge) with an offensively beautiful view. The difference it made falling asleep and waking up in a house that is quite literally floating above the trees viewing out over the water cannot be expressed in words. We spent a good amount of time just hanging in our suite's pool overlooking the world (very romantic).

Room Tip: It seems that the (one bedroom) suites are built as small houses with two floors -one suite up and o...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear cdanzig, given the fact that the Four Seasons is located in a preserved area, we have some restrictions as far as deforestation. That is why we find ourselves limited to cut or trim some parts of our woods. However, I am truly pleased that you got a room with a view of your liking. I totally agree with you when you say that about the view, they are just simply breath taking!
Thank you for your review, Pascal, General Manager.

Been to Four Seasons Resort Costa Rica at Peninsula Papagayo? Share your experiences!