“It doesn't get better than this!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Four Seasons Resort Costa Rica at Peninsula Papagayo

Save Saved
You added Four Seasons Resort Costa Rica at Peninsula Papagayo to your Saves list
Four Seasons Resort Costa Rica at Peninsula Papagayo
5.0 of 5 Resort   |   Peninsula Papagayo, Costa Rica   |
Hotel packages
Special Offer
Fourth Night Free!
Ranked #1 of 16 Hotels in Gulf of Papagayo
New York City, New York
“It doesn't get better than this!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 10, 2012

Driving up to this resort we knew we were in for a treat and we were definitely right! This is one of the most beautiful resorts we have ever stayed in. We just came home from a week long stay with my entire family there and had the most amazing experience. In fact we already booked another stay for next year. The property is absolutely breath taking and the staff is BEYOND professional, speaks perfect english and is as helpful as you could ever wish for. This hotel staff is always one step ahead of you, and as my brother said, they know things that you want that you didn't even know you wanted! They work to make your stay so special that you can truly relax and forget the world. The food is truly spectacular as well, all the restaurants give you a different cuisine but all just as delicious. We are truly so sad to have left but thrilled we're going back. We vacation often as a family and have never gone back to the same place twice and I'm happy to say we'll be back there again next winter. We will be going back to the same villa that is hanging off the side of the mountain overlooking the water and we can't wait. Trust me you will not be disappointed! We miss The Four Seasons Costa Rica already!

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (253)
Green Bay WI
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 8, 2012

Just left the four seasons in costa rica. I can not say enough good things about our stay
The service was the best ever, food fantastic, room clean and very nice and the pools are so relaxing. We did the nature hike and went golfing. The golf course is incredible. The two beaches are clean and the staff makes sure you are taken care of while getting a great tan. We took a short drive to the marina and had dinner twice at the DIVE BAR. How fun and the prices were great. They have happy hour every day and dinner specials. The marina has a free shuttle to The Four Seasons. Overall an amazing time

Room Tip: Don't be a tight wad if you are going here
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 7, 2012

My husband and I just returned from 6 nights at the Four Seasons. We had such an amazing experience with everything from our wedding on the beach, the amazing service from the staff and the food. We did our research before we left so we knew about a few "secrets" that the staff won't tell you - let me share!

1. The Beach Club - a 3 minute drive (which the FS will more than gladly to provide transportation). This is the pool, fitness center and restaurant/bar for the residents of the peninsula. The pool is very modern and classy (they even have a 50 meter lap pool with lane lines!), the restaurant is very elegant and the sunset is beautiful. The Beach Club is usually closed on Monday so make sure you work this into your trip!

2. Tours Your Way with Mainor Lara - As I said before, we did our research before we arrived. Everyone on Trip Advisor commented on Tours Yours Way so we had to try them out out. Over email, I was able to secure airport transport and 2 great excursions (surfing in Tamarindo and an extreme zip line tour and hot springs adventure). Not only was the price half of what the FS offered but the service was high class. Ray (Mainor Lara's cousin) was our guide on both excursions. Our tour was private, he stayed with us the whole day while other guides left their groups and took amazing pictures to capture our day. Ray spotted monkeys and animals that we never would have seen on our own. Since he is from the region, he knows everyone! The airport transport was also very reliable and even stopped at a store so we could get some wine before we arrived at the FS. I can't wait to go back and schedule more time with Tours Your Way! Thank you Ray and Mainor

3. The FS Spa - Check the website for Spa Discounts before you arrive. They usually have special promotions but do not tell you so you need to do your research!

I couldn't have imagined a better honeymoon. My husband and I always felt that we were the only ones on the property even if it was booked. Can't wait to go back!

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 6, 2012 via mobile

Amazing resort with two private beaches parallel to each other. My only gripe about the hotel was that myself and two friends got food poisoning which meant that we spent three of the four days there throwing up in our room after having a seafood buffet. It took me years to eat shrimp again.

• Stayed July 2011
Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 6, 2012

This hotel is definitely one of my new favorites worldwide. The service was impeccable and the rooms were perfectly appointed. My husband and I stayed here on the first two days of a six night trip to celebrate our 7 year anniversary and see a friend get married. The only mistake we made was booking this hotel the first two nights and then having nothing else compare once we left.

They spoiled us with champagne and wedding cake for our anniversary and went above and beyond by preparing our exit taxes for us in advance.

Additionally, we went for a couple's bamboo massage at their world renowned spa and were particularly impressed. I highly recommend checking out the spa and trying their bamboo massage if you have never had one.

The food at every restaurant was quite good (I think we ate their fresh caught tuna daily). The beaches on either side were lovely and serene.

I would definitely rank this hotel as one of my top 5 favorites in the world and I have stayed at a lot of wonderful hotels.

*IMPORTANT NOTE-Once you are at this hotel it is hard to get anywhere else as it is far removed so be sure to make your dinner reservations in advance.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
Denver, Colorado
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 5, 2012

Stayed here the last week in February 2012 with my husband and had an amazing time. Spent a week in Costa Rica in 2010 and stayed at some nice places, but this time around, we wanted to see what, if any, difference there was if we opted for the "best of the best" in country, and this Four Seasons is it. I have looked over some of the negative reviews on here and seen several "this place is not up to Four Seasons standards" and all I can say is I really, really, want to know what places those reviews think ARE that good, because I want to go there :) This place was, by far, the best property I have ever stayed at. We were in a 1 bedroom suite with a private balcony and plunge pool. It was really pricey, but when we made our reservations, it was the only 1 bedroom available. Since the property is fairly small, I get the feeling the standard rooms are usually taken up by people at events and the less expensive suites go more quickly. Having said that, we spent a LOT of time in that plunge pool, and we enjoyed it (though not sure it was worth the literally $500 extra we were paying per night for it).

Property: amazing and beautiful. Small, but spread out. If you are staying in a suite, you will be doing lots of walking up or down hills or waiting on staff in golf carts to take you to/from. For those of you who have never been to Costa Rica, bear in mind that the Guanacaste region is the driest in the country. During the dry season, the nearby topography will remind you more of Southern CA than a lush, tropical rain forest. If you want that, you probably need to stay in the Central Valley/Arenal area or come in the green (rainy) season.

Service: Very attentive and very good. All the front desk staff, the Consierge and waiters speak better English than many people in the US. This has been our experience in all of Costa Rica. We observed The GM, Pascal Forotti, out and about often during our stay. I take that as a good sign of a well run property.

Food: Better than average for Resort food, but far from fantastic. Also, very, very expensive. For 2 people, expect to pay $50+ for breakfast; $80 for lunch and $175+ for dinner. The best meal we had was at Congos (the Churascarria). Carocal- the lauded steakhouse, was a dissapointment, as was Di Mare. Honestly, the best option is to sit at Tico's bar and order a few appetizers or small plates. Also, consider skipping breakfast or ordering from the menu, as the full buffet is $34 pp.

Activities- we booked a private Scuba trip with Almaco diving and went out with Miguel the owner/operator. It was nice, but during our trip, the weather was very windy, so we were limited on dive sites and the actual diving was just so-so. CR is not generaly known as a divers paradise though. The golf course was amazing. I played 9 holes and it was beautiful for the scenery alone, never mind the course itself. We also rented a SUV for $125 (a very reasonable price to have the car all day, with GPS and full insurance coverage. We drove about 1.5 hours to a National Park and did some hiking. It was fun, as it got us off the property, and allowed us to hit the Supermarket in Liberia where we stocked up on liquor.

Other tips: Pack your own liquor and put it in your checked luggage. You can bring something like 5L into CR. If you don't do that, ask your driver (if you take the private transportation) to stop at the Jumbo Supermercado in Liberia and buy your own beer and wine. You will save tons of $$.

Overall, we had a great time and will definately consider the Four Seasons again in the future.

Room Tip: See if you can call the property itself in advance of bookin a reservation if you are staying in a s...
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 5, 2012

Juan Diego is the best waiter EVER for pool side service! We miss him. He was friendly and warm, and went above and beyond to accommodate us. Five stars for Juan Diego!

Overall, the restaurants were good. Di Mare (Italian) was excellent ... the best restaurant they have. Caracol (steak house) was very good. The other options were fine.

The property is beautiful, and the service is very good.

Two small complaints:
- The bottle pricing on the wine doesn't make sense. In most cases, it's cheaper to do by the glass.
- They are reluctant to provide enough towels. They have a good "green" program, which is great, but I should have a clean washcloth when I want to shower. When you ask for additional towels, they will bring them to you but only after they tell you that "they don't do this" and they make you speak with a manager to get them.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with friends

Been to Four Seasons Resort Costa Rica at Peninsula Papagayo? Share your experiences!