My husband and I just returned from a six-day stay in Costa Rica from August 19 to 26th, which we took for our two-year anniversary. First let me say that we stayed at a 5-star hotel in Cancun for our honeymoon, and, based on the reviews I read and that Costa Rica doesn't have true 5-star hotels (as far as I know), I adjusted my expectations prior to coming to the hotel. All in all I would give our stay a 3.7 out of 5. My husband would give it a solid 4.
Great things:The food/drink staff are super nice/cordial (loved David!) and the entertainment staff are exceptional. You should definitely take the kayak tour with Jafeth and the bicycle tour with Imer--both are fun and very knowledgeable about their country (Japeth likes to give quizzes so pay attention). Kevin is also awesome and we participated in his and Imer's video dance competition. Rubi is great with kids from what I saw and so sweet and professional.
We loved that the hotel was in front of a bay instead of in front of the ocean and you could walk along the rocks to more secluded parts of the bay. Saw monkeys!
Things to be improved: We didn't like staying in our room because it was smallish and very plain. They need to upgrade all the bungalows (included the oldish decks) to be considered a 4-star hotel. As some people have noted, if you will balk at seeing ants in your room, iguanas casually walking past you, and raccoons eyeing your food from time to time, you might not be happy. Considering the hotel's (super nice) location, we didn't mind the ants too much and got a kick out of the raccoons. There are also two cats on the property (one is called Huevos). No one minded as they seemed to be everyone's pets and we actually liked when Huevos came to sit near our chair by the pool.
The food at the restaurants was good but not great (the bar food is pretty bad and TexMex night at the buffet was bad too, frankly). The menu (onion rings, hamburgers, fish sticks, etc are okay for kids but not for adults paying all this money). My husband, however, thought most of the dishes at the restaurants were good and loved the steak El Dorado and Bocadillo. Breakfast was ok for a buffet.. .
Most important, maybe: It's not a super fun or romantic resort and is not within walking distance to other fun resorts. It's more so suited to families with kids under 12 (I think) and laid back couples. Not girl/guy trips or honeymoons. If you are going to have "fun," you better book at least two excursions.
--Making reservations for dinner was easy. Great shuttle service and nice drivers.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Nestled in a bay surrounded by the Pacific Ocean at the Gulf of Papagayo in Guanacaste, our resort is the perfect place to let your worries drift away. The magnificent view of the tranquil waters, the surrounding lush tropical gardens and abundant wildlife will make you experience the true Costa Rican feel.This magical all-inclusive resort also offers:- Convenient location, only 20 minutes from the Liberia International Airport- Large property but with an intimate atmosphere and feel- New all inclusive concept with boutique-style service without the need of bracelets or towel cards and no limit in à la carte dining. - Private beach feel with calm tides year round- Casita-style bungalows perched hillside overlooking the bay. - World-class Spa offering full range of traditional and exotic treatments in a Costa Rican – inspired natural ambiance- Unforgettable setting for Honeymoons and Weddings - Venues which add a local flair to your meetings, incentives and other social gatherings.- Just minutes away from major local attractions, National Parks and beaches ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, TripOnline SA and Hotels.com so you can book your Papagayo Resort & Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Hilton Papagayo Costa Rica Hotel Gulf Of Papagayo
- Hilton Papagayo Costa Rica Resort And Spa
- Fiesta Premier Costa Rica
- Hilton Gulf Of Papagayo
- Gulf Of Papagayo Hilton
- Fiesta Resort Costa Rica
- Fiesta Premier Resort Spa Costa Rica