“Para visitar en(to visit in) Costa Rica” 4 of 5 stars

Special Rate
$104/person $50 credit
Ranked #5 of 16 Hotels in Gulf of Papagayo
COSTA RICA
“Para visitar en(to visit in) Costa Rica”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2014

Papagayo area is in Guanacaste (North) Costa Rica, in the Gulf of Papagayo, waters of Pacific Ocean. Very relaxing place, all rooms are in a bungalow style, only the hotel shuttle are authorized to drive into the place to pick you, and move you around the complex. Swimming pool, wet bar, 4 types of restaurants, tennis court, beach, water sports. When you arrive be sure to make an appointment to have dinner in "El Dorado Restaurant" its a must! If you want to make the bike tour appointment is necessary and only few bicycles, so rush. Room bar with bevarages included. If you ask for room service it will have extra cost!

Papagayo se enceuntra en la provincia de Guanacaste, en Costa Rica. En el Golfo de Papagayo cuyas aguas son del océano pacífico. Un lugar relajante, habitaciones limpias, estilo bungalow, tienen un mini bar con bebidas. Si pide comida a la habitación recuerde que eso si tiene costo adicional. Cuenta con 4 restuarentes, cancha de tenis, deportes acuáticos (snorkeling, kayak sin costo adicional). Tan pronto ingrese haga las reservaciones para las cenas. Debe comer en "Rest. El Dorado" es muy bueno. Si quiere hacer el tour de bicicletas, reserve con tiempo, son pocas.

Room Tip: Rooms near the swimming pool are noiser but walking distance to restaurant, bar and beach
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Miguel_Eugene, General Manager at Hilton Papagayo Costa Rica Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 5 weeks ago
Greetings from Costa Rica.

Thank you for taking a moment to share your experience.

We look forward to welcoming you back to the Hilton Papagayo Costa Rica Resort & Spa in the not too distant future.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (510)
Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2014

Very friendly staff, clean resort with awesome facilities. If you can score an upgrade to the suite with a pool, go for it, even if you have to pay the nominal additional fee. Looking down at the ocean with a drink in your hand in your own pool...priceless!

Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts

Greetings from Costa Rica!!
Thank you for choosing Hilton Papagayo Costa Rica Resort & Spa for your vacations – we’re happy to hear it was a success! I
connecticuit
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2014

My family have been to several all inclusive resorts over the past few years including Jamaica, Mexico, Dominican Republic and now Costa Rica. The people here are extremely nice, very happy to help in any way, They do this in the own time which is a bit slower than I would like, but acceptable. There is a feeling of safety to Costa Rica in and out of the resort. Which was also nice.
The resort upon first impressions was the most beautiful place we have visited, however upon closer inspection it is very dated and in desperate need of a remodel. There were chip and broken tiles all around the main pool, my daughter grazed her stomach on one of these getting out of the pool. There were also tiles missing from the bottom of the pool leaving sharp edges, I also noticed that on the ice machines situated across the property on the back were the cartridge filter would go it was missing. I checked two of these. At our in rest bus stop were the ice machine was, the fire extinguisher was also in the red zone on the pressure dial. SO god help you if you need it. Rooms were fine although a little smelly with the dampness of the jungle, AC was great you could keep the room like an iceberg if you wanted.
The food, all of the above I could live with after all we are in a different country and should not expect things to be the same as the USA. however the food was completely unacceptable for any rest any were, with one exception which I will get too.
When we arrived we were not told that all evening meal restaurants needed a reservation including the buffet. We did get a table at the buffet restaurant however upon a quick look at the offerings I had to tell our waiter we would need to eat somewhere else. The menu was chicken stew, which if I had to would have been the one I choose, a piece of boiled pork that just looked awful and some fish which I don't eat.
I am not a picky eater at all, I just would like some effort put into what I am being served this looked worse than any school food I ever had as a kid. In our previous trips we have know that you need a reservation for the 3 or 4 restaurants on site but not the buffet. Which in other resorts had huge selections from all around the world even ice sculptures at at least 2 resorts.
The breakfast was not much better with a very slim offering. One day was bacon the other was sausage. heaven forbid you eat both on vacation.
The one highlight was the italian restaurant near the spa, we ate hear only once as it was constantly booked. This food was excellent freshly prepared and very tasty.
Overall this is a small resort with a lot of romance, but if you don't want to go hungry try another place

Room Tip: Do not get a room in the 4** range these are high on the cliff and far away from everything, 1** and...
Greetings from Costa Rica!!

Thank you for taking a moment to share your experience at Hilton Papagayo Costa Rica Resort & Spa.

We did take note in your observations that gives us hope and further drive in correcting our issues as we consider them improvement opportunities to seek excellence.

The next time you are in Guanacaste, we hope you will come back to see the changes we have made and tell us what you think.

We want to provide you with the best guest experience. Thank you for helping us improves!

Barrington, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2014

The staff / service overall was fantastic. Everyone was naturally very friendly and accommodating (and you could tell it was not just because they were looking for a tip). If there was an issue, it was always resolved quickly. We loved the "Kidz Paradise" (complimentary supervised childcare for most of the day), especially Ruby, Kimberly and Kevin. They constantly offer a wide variety of activities (games, arts and crafts, sports, etc.) and were simply fantastic, always smiling and accommodating. The 'Entertainment' team does a great job as well. There was always something going on (beach volleyball, pool volleyball, water aerobics, etc.).

The hotel is a bit dated, but it is very well integrated in its surroundings and has a rustic / natural feel to it. The grounds are very nice and well maintained. It's definitely a 'natural' setting, i.e. be ready for geckos, toads, crabs, etc. roaming the property. We enjoyed that, but the bees at the swim-up bar and the bar next to the main pool were annoying.

Most of the food was very good, especially at "El Dorado" (steakhouse; reservations needed). Breakfast buffets were decent. Again, all service staff was excellent. Very nice people. However, we did not like the Italian restaurant (and heard that from many others as well).

Excursions through Swiss Travel were all extremely professional, but we did find them a bit pricey. Also, it was complicated to arrange for diving. They say they need a minimum number of divers, but they could never seem to arrange that. I tried to dive on three separate days, but only managed to go once. That was frustrating.

However, all in all the Hilton Papagayo is great, very reasonably priced for the value, and we would definitely return.

Room Tip: If you have children, choose a room close to the main pool. (Those are the room numbers beginning wi...
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled with family
Miguel_Eugene, General Manager at Hilton Papagayo Costa Rica Resort & Spa, responded to this review, August 25, 2014
Greetings from Costa Rica!!
I am glad to read that you had great stay at Hilton Papagayo Costa Rica Resort & Spa and particularly we met and exceeded your expectations during your stay.
Lawrenceville, United States
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2014

The grounds are beautiful and the staff are extremely nice. Had a few issues during the stay but most were resolved quickly by the staff. Food was great at dinner (get reservations), and breakfast was good. Lunch is good except at the main location.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple

Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts

Greetings from Costa Rica!!

Just wanted to thank you for your recent stay here at Hilton Papagayo Costa Rica Resort & Spa ! So glad you were able to experience our authentic Hilton hospitality. We look forward to seeing you soon.

Caldwell, New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2014

We loved our stay. We are well traveled and so we are pretty picky. Service was top notch. The hotel staff bent over backwards to make my daughter's birthday memorable. We enjoyed the food for the most part. The hotel accommodated my daugter's peanut allergy flawlessly. All I had to do was say the word peanut and staff members already knew about it and knew her by name. The property was beautiful and shuttle rides were quick and relaxing.

One thing that made us nervous were the bees. Tons of bees in the bar area. I'm not sure if they spray for bees but it was a lot worse in the beginning of the week than later in the week. We saw several people get stung. The bee thing may not be a hotel flaw though as we heard that there is a huge population of bees in the region.

Be prepared to spend some money on day trips and tours. They were more expensive than we had anticipated. The hotel works with Swiss travel who we did use on a couple of tours. Very professional group.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled with family
Miguel_Eugene, General Manager at Hilton Papagayo Costa Rica Resort & Spa, responded to this review, August 21, 2014
Dickson, Tennessee
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2014

Long story short:
I’m a pretty seasoned traveler and try (but not always) to use Trip Advisor when I can. Prior and especially now since I am fresh off my trip, I and putting this on Trip Advisor and feel a post on my experience was needed. I don’t want you to think I am a novice who gauges a conclusion on one bad experience. My experience was never “bad”, but definitely it was disappointing. An analyst by trade and education, I do my best to validate such claim, opinion, or analysis on some solid data and criteria. Basically, I do my best to give you an honest evaluation you can base future travel options on. Ive travelled in many countries and stayed at upscale, medium and lower tier places….I know how to keep them in the proper prospective. Im a Diamond Member with Hilton and Gold with IHC…basically I stay in a lot of hotels and on the road a great deal of time.

At best and since this carries the “Hilton” brand, I give this a 3 star rating (based on perception meeting expectations). I will admit they excel in some areas, easily 5 star in those “few” categories, but overall when gauging value, location, experience of staff, quality of service/conditions/accommodations/environment/responsiveness to the traveler & customer, I could not bring myself to rate this higher than a 3 star. All the categories have pro’s & con‘s, but I feel there are more negatives that outweigh the positives. (Read on if you want the “Long Story”)

BOOKING-RESERVATIONS:

I booked 2 of my party of 4 thru Apple Vacations and the other 2 thru Hilton’s website.

APPLE VACATIONS: Verdict is still out. I feel like the reservations/booking process is hindering in that it seems there are 1000 independent contracted Apple agents acting under one umbrella so you don’t exactly get consistency if you have to call in on your reservation after booking. HATE Apple’s website and it is not user friendly at all. I have no shopped around with another website, but may try on my next booking. I don’t like that Apple gives you a $35 spa credit but yet the hotel spa has no familiarity with it so you actually have to get the Apple rep in the hotel to call the spa to verify it. Since I went paperless on my documents, I did not have anything related to Apple’s discount. I assumed my reservation at the hotel would show it but the spa and hotel act separately (read more below). The best thing I like about Apple is the fact that there is a representative onsite in most occasions, but not with the Hilton and I did not like that at all. There were a tour guide/shuttle service (Swiss Tours) acting on Apple’s behalf and this was very different from my past experiences. I don’t like that Apple does not offer better discounts to returning customers, especially ones that have multiple bookings in the past.

Hilton Resorts: Pretty good website with adequate representation of property. However, not enough pictures when it comes to showing the outside or inside of the bungalows and rooms. You get only one picture basically of the bed! If I could have known what the setup was for my type of room, I may have asked for something closer to the main area or something more to my location preference. Also, even though I am Diamond status (Gold at the time of booking), that does NOTHING. You don’t get anything related to Diamond or Gold member perks, upgrades, etc. Lastly, I had to fax/email in my Hilton receipt to get credit for Honor’s points. The hotel really does nothing in this area, nor seems to value an Honors member over a total non-customer.

ACTUAL STAY EXPERIENCES:

PRO’s (+):

Location: The location is great..easier to reach the airport and other excursions quicker since it is located more toward the town. I have stayed at the RIU Guanacaste a couple of times and it seemed a much longer drive. Also this location will provide more privacy on the beach as well.

Facility / Property Appearance: The facility is accurate to what other reviews say, but I see this as a “low key, private, quieter place. Perfect for older folks or couples wanting a romantic setting. Scenery is great and the locations of the bar to the pool or beach is also a plus. The setup of the rooms, age of resort, freshness….see “CON’s” below.

Staff: Bartenders, Front Desk, and bellhop/drivers! A shout out to Oscar and David (bartenders), Julio (shuttle driver/bellman).

Staff Affiliates: At the airport, on departure out of country, use the bellhops and hagglers! Pay the $10-$20 tip because it is WORTH IT! They will get you thru the Departure Tax window and get you to the front of the airline counters, bypassing the “herd” of other travelers!! These guys, even though you know they are simply out to get your money, are still worth whatever you tip them to get out of the way of the rest of the crowd and expeditiously thru the check-in process!!

Food: Order from the bars!! That’s all I can say (see “CON’s below). The bars have a “ok” menu, but its faster and probably better than the restaurants and the bartenders are great!!

Price: I paid the AAA rate of $302 per night for a King Bed. Since this was all-inclusive, my expectation was met. Would have loved to have gotten it for cheaper of course, but compared to other competition, this probably is an adequate value (not great, but adequate).

On a side note, the best experience I actually got from this trip had nothing to do with the Resort, but rather my tour guide I indirectly booked an excursion with. I say indirectly because I booked the tour from one of the “beach hustlers” named Antonio. When the tour guide showed up, I recognized him from my trip to Costa Rica 2 years ago!! (I stayed at the RIU Guanacaste). His name is “Henry”, or rather Jorge Perez and quite frankly if that guy ever builds a Trip Advisor or Facebook page, I will do all I can to promote him for never have I had a more complete, thorough, honest, value of service/experience, and entertaining tour guide in all my travels!! As I said, I had this guy before and he was a superb then as he was this past time!!! PLEASE PLEASE….if you want to pre-arrange a tour package of any type, go DIRECT this guy and bypass the hotel’s affiliations and beach hustlers!!! Tell him “Brett from Tennessee” sent you and he will definitely know to do you right! His email is: hperezr70@gmail.com and his number if you wish to call when in Costa Rica is 8653-3127. The name of his service is Oso Tours. He basically is a sub-contractor to the other tour operators, but I sure hope he ventures out on his own!!

CON’s (-):

Location: The only con I could find on location is you are secluded to the resort itself it seems. No local town or resorts to walk to nearby.

Facility / Property Appearance: expect A LOT OF WALKING. They have shuttles running, but..some will be carrying luggage, lots of people, will make multiple stops before getting you close to your room. I liked the exercise of walking, but I wished they would build a lower level walkway…FLAT to allow for better, quicker and more comfortable walking between the pools and your room. They way it is set up you walk the roads and its UP..and DOWN!! I recommend walking the beach when tide is low to get from one end of resort to the other. Although there were lots of kids, this really isn’t the place for “teens/twenty something kids”. Young kids just hang with their parents, but the older, more active ones will want a more lively environment. This does not have it! The buildings are really….REALLY aging and it appears ownership isn’t really upgrading or repairing things other than a “quick fix” type thing. Disappointing….I expect more out of a Hilton property.

Staff: Other than the ones mentioned above in the PRO section, the staff seemed robotic, programmed, and non-attentive. I seem to think upper management and ownership limits their abilities to actually make a “service” decision. Just an opinion. As I mentioned before, they don’t know a Diamond, Gold, Silver or Hilton Honors member from the man on the moon.

Dining staff – Oh my what disappointment. Each staff member seemed to be pre-programmed for ONE specific thing. The water guy….pours only water so please don’t mess his brain up by asking for coffee or a spoon or anything outside of water! The same goes for the coffee pourer, order taker, plate picker upper, etc etc etc!! Oh, and if you order anything outside the normal protocol at dinner….as in Appetizer, Main Dish, Dessert then expect to be disappointed. Example – my kids ordered just appetizers (they weren’t hungry). I ordered a main course. We all ordered desserts. We wanted to eat them AT THE SAME TIME! However, they brought out their appetizers. Then my main course. Then all the desserts together. They never got the point that we wanted to eat them all at the same time! Lol…it literally takes 1 hour to eat, regardless if you order 1 thing or 10 things. They will serve no wine before its time!! Lol..again, the staff is just not in-tune with the diner. All of the restaurants are the same in this area.
Beach Cleaners/Bartenders - Seems they only arrange the beach furniture/cleanup at midnight and most of the time when you show up at a canopy/lounge area to lay out the next morning, remnants of trash and other things are still strewn everywhere from the day before. I did more “clean-up” than the staff did! I cleaned the areas..not just mine but others and the whole darn beach more than any of the staff did! Bartenders….VERY NON-existent outside of the bar. I guess they are understaffed in this area is all I can conclude. You will see them…..occasionally, but nothing compared to what I have seen at multiple other resorts in my travels. TIPS don’t even work as motivation! I took $200 in one-dollar bills to tip staff and heck I couldn’t find reason to use them….even when I was trying! Lol I came back with $150 if that tells you anything.

Staff Affiliates: Swiss Travel seems to be a racquet! Attitude is a bit arrogant and prices are way overboard! (See transportation services/transfers below) Tour Guide Services – since these guys have to operate “off grounds” (on the beach area), I was not satisfied. I usually think you can always get a better price going thru the independents, but not by much. They technically are all “independent contractors” who simply act as a 3rd party. I’m not against people seeking to profit so “honesty and trustworthiness” is what I seek. I don’t even care if they charge me the same price as if I were to get from the hotel operators if there is no “wiggle room”, but you will get every story in the book! If you travel a lot you can expect the “hagglers and hustlers”, but when it comes to the Costa Rica trips I have taken, this area is far below what I have gotten in Cancun, Jamaica, Dominican Republic and couple of other places.

Food: Expect to wait a long time for food in all the restaurants except the general buffet. Nothing stands out! Bland and basic at best. Avoid the BOCADILLO for dinner!! The main course will smell like the grill!! I don’t know if they cook with plastic or what, but nothing is “grilled/charred” on open flame in any of the restaurants, but the BOCADILLO…..they smoke up their open air hut with whatever cooks on the grill and if you don’t suffocate from smoke, you will definitely want to after you taste their food from the grill. A shame too, they have the best dinner menu of all. New York Strip, Rib-eye, Sirloin, tenderloin…..doesn’t matter, it will all taste like plastic and smoke when it is served!

Room: Basic rooms! A/C worked well, but its remote control and once you learn how to turn it all the way down, then you will be fine! Since the rooms require a lot of walking to get too and strung out all over a hillside, I am placing this as a negative more so than a positive.

Transportation / Airport Transfers: The hotel works with two operators. Hilton contracts a firm called who works from their lobby. However, a lot of vacation tour services contracts with Swiss Travel who operates on the Hilton grounds. I was booked on both! I emailed the hotel MULTIPLE TIMES on this and told them I already had 2 transfers paid via Apple Vacations, but wanted to book my other two reservations with the same one as Apple so we could all ride together from the airport. Not a hard request, but sure enough, they screwed this up and had us on two separate reservations with two separate transportation services!
Price per-person is $30 one way. A darn racquet!! WAY OVERPRICED and inconvenient. You get lumped into a bus with each person paying the same price. For the short 15 minute trip (at best!), the price is way too high! It is better to pre-arrange transfers thru a local tour vendor. They will be more like a taxi where they may charge $30 for the first person, but then everything beyond that is negotiable. I’m not paying more than $30 for two people next time and to me the tour operators will be much much more flexible on price! I would contact the guy I mentioned above (Henry email: hperezr70@gmail.com as a start)

Airport: I’m very disappointed in the departure tax rate ($29 presently). I remember when it was $5 to $10. Why they penalize the tourist I will never know, but you have to have this paid for prior to leaving the country. If they keep going up in price, we the traveler will simply take our business to other countries who appreciate our spending money in their country!

Summary: I will NEVER stay at this resort again. Its not a Hilton Resort…they just affiliate somehow with Hilton for the name. Its just not to my preferences and you get a lot of smiles from the staff, but nothing that will make the stay any better. To highlight one of the “con’s” above one thing that you will find is that management reads all the post to Trip Advisor and responds with the typical canned lines: “I do not see where you brought this concern to our staff during your visit so we were not able to respond adequately, etc etc etc. Or, we are so sorry for your inconvenience and will improve the process/service/product and you can come back to see later how we have done”. They are so thin-skinned and will never truly accept criticism in a way to get better. Lots of lip-service, but no true corrective action from what I see. When I read Trip Advisor post from years back and still see continued behavior and ratings then it tells me the management gives a lot of excuses, but really doesn’t improve the concerns and issues. Honestly my gut feeling is it’s not a management issue, but ownership issue. Management is there to pacify the guest, but the ownership is behind the perpetual behavior and service/product of the resort and probably won’t ever really do something about the complaints. Ultimately, Hilton is at fault here. When I stay at a Hilton Resort or upper tier accommodation with the Hilton name, I expect something better than a Beaches/Breezes type resort! The property is not a bad resort, but is sure isn’t an upper tier resort as it claims and is advertised and what we the traveler base our expectations from, especially when you see “HILTON”. Btw, I plan on sending them this same write-up!! If this place is ever going to get better or meet expectations, Hilton will have to involve itself.

Room Tip: Get as low a level location room as possible. The trade-off in convenience is better than the view...
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Miguel_Eugene, General Manager at Hilton Papagayo Costa Rica Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 3 weeks ago
Greetings from Costa Rica!!

I am happy to read that our great, private, and quieter location, the food, the AAA rate and the staff was remarks as a PRO’S ( + ) in your review.

As a Hilton Company we offer HiltonHonors benefits, however please keep in mind that all of our hiltonhonors guest should let us know their HiltonHonors ID in order to add this information to his profile in order to treat as a HiltonHonors when stayed at the Hotel.

We did take note in your CON’s (-) that gives us hope and further drive in correcting our issues as we consider them improvement opportunities to seek excellence.

The next time you are in Guanacaste, we hope you will come to see the changes we have made and tell us what you think.

W want to provide you with the best guest experience. Thank you for helping us improves!

Been to Hilton Papagayo Costa Rica Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!