“Hilly landscape” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #5 of 16 Hotels in Gulf of Papagayo
Minnesota
“Hilly landscape”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2014

My husband and I visited the Hilton last week. Overall it was a decent property. The biggest down fall was the steep hills. We like to walk but this just made life difficult. Nice that they had a shuttle. The food was good but service was pretty slow. We like to walk the beaches and this is just a small bay so that wasn't possible. Drinks were good at pool bar. Probably wouldn't return due to all he hills

• Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple
Miguel_Eugene, General Manager at Hilton Papagayo Costa Rica Resort & Spa, responded to this review, August 19, 2014
Greetings from Costa Rica!!
Thank you for taking a moment to share your experience.
We look forward to welcoming you back to the Hilton Papagayo Costa Rica Resort & Spa in the not too distant future.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (541)
Norman, Oklahoma
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2014

We stayed a week here and left very relaxed. Food was good. Nice staff. Beautiful views. Would definitely return. We did a Nicaragua tour while visiting and whale watching. I liked the little bungalows and the spa pool. If you walk on the beach past the spa you can sit on your own private beach all day. Weather was good.

Stayed July 2014
Miguel_Eugene, General Manager at Hilton Papagayo Costa Rica Resort & Spa, responded to this review, August 21, 2014
Greetings from Costa Rica!!
I am glad to read that you had great stay at Hilton Papagayo Costa Rica Resort & Spa and particularly we met and exceeded your expectations during your stay.
Oshkosh, Wisconsin
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2014

This was the last stop of three for our vacation. We had begun in the cloud forest, then braved lot's of physical activity in LaFortuna. This was back to relaxation and pool action. We were there during the under 18 girls soccer tournament. My only complaint is that they split our family up...the kids were on the 400 level and we were on the 200 level. They also advertise an ocean view which I am pretty sure they charged us for but you would have to be a giraffe to see it. I think this had to do with the resort over run with all the teams. Despite this rocky start the food an staff were awesome. The pool area was clean and well maintained. They keep local vendors at bay allowing them on the beach but not on the grounds.

All in all this was a great place to end the vacation. It is secluded so getting anywhere you will need to hire transportation or have it arranged through the hotel.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
Miguel_Eugene, General Manager at Hilton Papagayo Costa Rica Resort & Spa, responded to this review, August 18, 2014
Greetings from Costa Rica!!

Thank you for choosing Hilton Papagayo Costa Rica Resort & Spa for your vacations – we’re happy to hear it was a success! I

Little Rock, Arkansas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2014

We traveled with 14 family members aged 5-70 and the Hilton could not have been more perfect for us. We read lots of reviews before we traveled and got some really good suggestions about managing dinner reservations and room locations. We couldn't have chosen a better resort for our family. We loved seeing the howler monkeys in the trees by our bungalow, the raccoons begging food and the many iguanas, of course our family loves animals.
Our rooms were in the 300s close to the spa and riding the shuttle to the main area was never a problem. Julio and JJ made the ride fun, Julio even cut coconuts from the trees for us, to the delight of the kids!
We thought the food was good, especially El Dorado, Bocadillo, Fuego just make your reservation a day ahead. We never had a problem even with 14 people.
We booked an excursion with Tours Your Way and loved it!
Thanks so much to Paulo Bonilla for our bungalows and for our grand daughters 18 year old birthday celebration.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Greetings from Costa Rica!!
Thank you for choosing Hilton Papagayo Costa Rica Resort & Spa for your family vacation – we’re happy to hear it was a success! I
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2014

They do not know the concept of being vegetarian. They think we only eat salad and baked potato. Do not go to El Derado restaurant as u will sit there for hours waiting for ur food. Need to train them more on english and customer service. Shuttle drivers are excellent.

Stayed August 2014, traveled with friends
Greetings from Costa Rica!!

Thank you for your insight on your recent experience at El Dorado Restaurant . We’re very sorry that our vegetarian options didn't meet your expectations and we’re taking your recommendation to improve our menu. Our guest reviews give us valuable information to deliver the best dining experience possible, and we appreciate your feedback. Please visit us again the next time you’re in Guanacaste, and tell us how we’re doing.

4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2014

We stayed at this property August 3-9, 2014. It had a nice tropical feel to it. Our first room was 406 and it was very high up so walking around was not an option but my kids enjoyed the golf cart rides around. The rooms were clean but older feeling. I couldn't figure out the shower but they were quick in come over to show us. We were upgraded the next day to an ocean view room 105. That was a nice room (small) but pretty. The deck door was off the track so it was difficult but still I appreciated the upgrade. We were in walking distance to everything and since we were up later the noise wasn't a problem but if you were in your room you could hear the activities at the pool. They offer kayaks and the first day my kids and I (11 & 12) took them out. the next day they said I had to ride with my kids but a quick call to the manager and they allowed us to each take one. So depending on the person working the rules may change. Also one day someone came but the man was leaving so that guest was turned away. The excursions through the Hotel were fun, we did the sun set cruise with snorkeling, kids loved it. Then the mega combo and a surf lesson. I almost wish we did the surfing first because they loved it so much would have been nice to try it again with bigger waves. Over all, trip was fantastic, weather was awesome and the memories priceless!

• Stayed August 2014, traveled with family

Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts

New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2014

So this was my first real vacation since Oct 2005 (Cancun), as I had decided to visit Costa Rica to celebrate my 40th bday. Before deciding on this hotel, I read reviews on Trip Advisor and Oyster.com, and I must of missed the comments about the wildlife running around on the property. I visited Costa Rica May 26-31, 2014.

After quickly going through customs & immigration, the Hilton driver was waiting for us (for those traveling using JetBlue Getaways, contacting the Hilton Papagayo directly about hotel transfer, its inexpensive in comparison to the transfer company). Anyway, we arrived at the hotel maybe 20-30 mins later (I don't believe the drive was that long), and was greeted by the hotel staff with a welcome drink. The hotel's front desk area is an open space, and you can look out at the Gulf of Papagayo. After checking away, we were whisked away to our villa not to far from the front desk (believe our room was 210). Prior to flying to CR, I had confirmed my Jetblue Getaway vacation with the Hilton, and advised them I was celebrating my bday. Of course, once we entered the room, I was excited to see the Housekeeping staff decorated the bed for me to say Happy Birthday. Also, I received chocolate covered strawberries and a card wishing me the same. The room was the standard Hilton room, nice and room, and housekeeping kept the room clean. The mini-fridge had 2 bottles of water, soda and maybe beer.

The dining options were more than plenty. The breakfast was located in El Dorado Restaurant, and they offered everything from Costa Rican breakfast dishes to your standard breakfast food. There's an omelette station, and juice bar with maybe 4-5 juice options. There's plenty of fruits and pastries. For lunch, you can enjoy lunch at El Bocadillo, El Dorado, El Ritual Bar or Grill del Fuego. We only had lunch at Grill del Fuego when my mom decided to check out the spa area. Its an adults only area of the hotel, so it was nice not to hear kids. My only complaints about the food is the number of flies in El Bocadillo Snack Bar. My mom could barely finished her meal due to the files. We didn't experience the same problem at Grill del Fuego.

During 2 of the evenings, we did order room service as it was too damn dark outside our room. I believe there is a $15 room charge for the in-room dining service. We only did one excursion, Nicaragua all day tour. I was able to experience 2 countries for the price of one, and you'll see Costa Rica and Nicaragua are like night and day.

Overall, this was a different experience than I was use to, and I enjoyed it. The staff are friendly, and everyone is happy! The only time I had a communication problem was speaking with housekeeping, but since I am in Costa Rica, and they do speak Spanish, I should have taken the time to learn more spanish phrases. I look forward to returning to the Hilton Papagayo in the future...hopefully sooner than later. Pura Vida!

Room Tip: Reserve a villa in the higher numbers (300) so you can watch the sunrise & set. It gets dark ar...