“Great end to our vacation” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Secrets Papagayo Resort & Spa

You added Secrets Papagayo Resort & Spa to your Saves list
Secrets Papagayo Resort & Spa
4.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Playa Arenilla, Costa Rica (Formerly Hilton Papagayo Costa Rica Resort & Spa)   |
Oshkosh, Wisconsin
“Great end to our vacation”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2014

This was the last stop of three for our vacation. We had begun in the cloud forest, then braved lot's of physical activity in LaFortuna. This was back to relaxation and pool action. We were there during the under 18 girls soccer tournament. My only complaint is that they split our family up...the kids were on the 400 level and we were on the 200 level. They also advertise an ocean view which I am pretty sure they charged us for but you would have to be a giraffe to see it. I think this had to do with the resort over run with all the teams. Despite this rocky start the food an staff were awesome. The pool area was clean and well maintained. They keep local vendors at bay allowing them on the beach but not on the grounds.

All in all this was a great place to end the vacation. It is secluded so getting anywhere you will need to hire transportation or have it arranged through the hotel.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
Miguel_Eugene, General Manager at Secrets Papagayo Resort & Spa, responded to this review, August 18, 2014
Greetings from Costa Rica!!

Thank you for choosing Hilton Papagayo Costa Rica Resort & Spa for your vacations – we’re happy to hear it was a success! I

We can’t wait to see you again soon!!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (624)
  • Polish first
Little Rock, Arkansas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2014

We traveled with 14 family members aged 5-70 and the Hilton could not have been more perfect for us. We read lots of reviews before we traveled and got some really good suggestions about managing dinner reservations and room locations. We couldn't have chosen a better resort for our family. We loved seeing the howler monkeys in the trees by our bungalow, the raccoons begging food and the many iguanas, of course our family loves animals.
Our rooms were in the 300s close to the spa and riding the shuttle to the main area was never a problem. Julio and JJ made the ride fun, Julio even cut coconuts from the trees for us, to the delight of the kids!
We thought the food was good, especially El Dorado, Bocadillo, Fuego just make your reservation a day ahead. We never had a problem even with 14 people.
We booked an excursion with Tours Your Way and loved it!
Thanks so much to Paulo Bonilla for our bungalows and for our grand daughters 18 year old birthday celebration.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Greetings from Costa Rica!!
Thank you for choosing Hilton Papagayo Costa Rica Resort & Spa for your family vacation – we’re happy to hear it was a success! I
Virginia Beach, Virginia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2014

They do not know the concept of being vegetarian. They think we only eat salad and baked potato. Do not go to El Derado restaurant as u will sit there for hours waiting for ur food. Need to train them more on english and customer service. Shuttle drivers are excellent.

Stayed August 2014, traveled with friends
Greetings from Costa Rica!!

Thank you for your insight on your recent experience at El Dorado Restaurant . We’re very sorry that our vegetarian options didn't meet your expectations and we’re taking your recommendation to improve our menu. Our guest reviews give us valuable information to deliver the best dining experience possible, and we appreciate your feedback. Please visit us again the next time you’re in Guanacaste, and tell us how we’re doing.

4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2014

We stayed at this property August 3-9, 2014. It had a nice tropical feel to it. Our first room was 406 and it was very high up so walking around was not an option but my kids enjoyed the golf cart rides around. The rooms were clean but older feeling. I couldn't figure out the shower but they were quick in come over to show us. We were upgraded the next day to an ocean view room 105. That was a nice room (small) but pretty. The deck door was off the track so it was difficult but still I appreciated the upgrade. We were in walking distance to everything and since we were up later the noise wasn't a problem but if you were in your room you could hear the activities at the pool. They offer kayaks and the first day my kids and I (11 & 12) took them out. the next day they said I had to ride with my kids but a quick call to the manager and they allowed us to each take one. So depending on the person working the rules may change. Also one day someone came but the man was leaving so that guest was turned away. The excursions through the Hotel were fun, we did the sun set cruise with snorkeling, kids loved it. Then the mega combo and a surf lesson. I almost wish we did the surfing first because they loved it so much would have been nice to try it again with bigger waves. Over all, trip was fantastic, weather was awesome and the memories priceless!

• Stayed August 2014, traveled with family

Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts

Greetings from Costa Rica!!
I am glad to read that you had great stay at Hilton Papagayo Costa Rica Resort & Spa and particularly we met and exceeded your expectations during your stay.
New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2014

So this was my first real vacation since Oct 2005 (Cancun), as I had decided to visit Costa Rica to celebrate my 40th bday. Before deciding on this hotel, I read reviews on Trip Advisor and Oyster.com, and I must of missed the comments about the wildlife running around on the property. I visited Costa Rica May 26-31, 2014.

After quickly going through customs & immigration, the Hilton driver was waiting for us (for those traveling using JetBlue Getaways, contacting the Hilton Papagayo directly about hotel transfer, its inexpensive in comparison to the transfer company). Anyway, we arrived at the hotel maybe 20-30 mins later (I don't believe the drive was that long), and was greeted by the hotel staff with a welcome drink. The hotel's front desk area is an open space, and you can look out at the Gulf of Papagayo. After checking away, we were whisked away to our villa not to far from the front desk (believe our room was 210). Prior to flying to CR, I had confirmed my Jetblue Getaway vacation with the Hilton, and advised them I was celebrating my bday. Of course, once we entered the room, I was excited to see the Housekeeping staff decorated the bed for me to say Happy Birthday. Also, I received chocolate covered strawberries and a card wishing me the same. The room was the standard Hilton room, nice and room, and housekeeping kept the room clean. The mini-fridge had 2 bottles of water, soda and maybe beer.

The dining options were more than plenty. The breakfast was located in El Dorado Restaurant, and they offered everything from Costa Rican breakfast dishes to your standard breakfast food. There's an omelette station, and juice bar with maybe 4-5 juice options. There's plenty of fruits and pastries. For lunch, you can enjoy lunch at El Bocadillo, El Dorado, El Ritual Bar or Grill del Fuego. We only had lunch at Grill del Fuego when my mom decided to check out the spa area. Its an adults only area of the hotel, so it was nice not to hear kids. My only complaints about the food is the number of flies in El Bocadillo Snack Bar. My mom could barely finished her meal due to the files. We didn't experience the same problem at Grill del Fuego.

During 2 of the evenings, we did order room service as it was too damn dark outside our room. I believe there is a $15 room charge for the in-room dining service. We only did one excursion, Nicaragua all day tour. I was able to experience 2 countries for the price of one, and you'll see Costa Rica and Nicaragua are like night and day.

Overall, this was a different experience than I was use to, and I enjoyed it. The staff are friendly, and everyone is happy! The only time I had a communication problem was speaking with housekeeping, but since I am in Costa Rica, and they do speak Spanish, I should have taken the time to learn more spanish phrases. I look forward to returning to the Hilton Papagayo in the future...hopefully sooner than later. Pura Vida!

Room Tip: Reserve a villa in the higher numbers (300) so you can watch the sunrise & set. It gets dark ar...
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
NorCal
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2014

When you're back in the States selecting a hotel solely based on reviews + photos? You never know what you're stepping into until you actually arrive! We just spent 5 days on the Central Coast in the jungle - feeling like we were in the lap of luxury...so, when we arrived here? I immediately knew it's not what we were used to! The entire region is barren & dry - so, we really felt like we left the feel of 'Costa Rica' behind. (stay on the Central Coast if you don't want to be driving 2 hrs each way to get to the tropical areas for tours!) We were assigned to a room (bungalow = room) in the 400 area on top of the mountain with a view of dried up, dead vegetation + overlooking the pool area - which is looking down on broken & busted up rooftops! Rather than feeling like we are at a comfortable resort, it's more like a standard Hotel. We called the front desk & asked if they could move us to somewhere else - all they had to offer was an upgrade to a room with its own private mini-pool that was an additional $200/night. The bungalows in the 200 area are much more 'lush' feeling due to the manicured landscaping & are within walking distance to the main area where you go for all of your food & swimming - otherwise you have to wait for a shuttle up the various hillsides to get where you need to go - and you may be waiting a good 10 to 20 minutes for one to arrive (usually quicker). Being in the room is boring - but, there's really nothing to do at the resort other than swim in the pool (that offers zero shade) or eat! We tried to snorkel here 3x & the visibility is minimal. Picked up several pieces of garbage from the Ocean here - which is a real bummer. We drove down to Coco Beach (20 mins) & Hermosa beach - but both are very run down & rather 'raw' - not what we expected at all. Dirty, hot & NOT with the inexpensive pricing you would expect from open-air vendors! The Hilton has just 1 gift shop - and, it's about double the price for the same items we saw at the 1 modern grocery store we found at Coco Beach. I've looked into transferring to other All-Inclusive's - but, it'd be at least an hr drive further from our departing Airport...& we're 'done' being in the car after braving the local Hwy upgrade - all being done by hand! As far as 'wildlife' here? We've seen a few Iguanas, a coati & some neat birds (not Macaws)...! Would definitely suggest choosing a different location if you must stay in Guanacaste/Papagayo!! The water is beautiful, the sand is soft, the staff is very pleasant & most of the food is quite good.

Stayed August 2014
Miguel_Eugene, General Manager at Secrets Papagayo Resort & Spa, responded to this review, August 19, 2014
Greetings from Costa Rica

Thank you for your review of your stay at Hilton Papagayo Costa Rica Resort & Spa . We always appreciate hearing from our guests, especially about areas where we can do better.

We are very sorry that our property and the Guanacaste flora and fauna not meet your expectations, since the guest satisfaction and conform is our highest priority.

Please keep in mind that we have in our website, social media and travel agency sites an email available for guest to write us about their inquires and concerns sjopa_info@hilton.com before they arrive. Our Guest Services Manager will answers all your questions.

We hope that you will continue to use Hilton properties and those incidents are not the determining factor in your choice of hotels.

Houston, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2014

We spent a week at the Hilton Papagayo with our two kids, aged 2 and 5. It is an older property but well maintained and nicely laid out. With the cabins scattered across the hillside, the activity center and quiet spa area are either side of a bluff. Expect to get in some walking or spend time waiting for the shuttles which run on demand around the place.

What makes this place? Walking across the black sand beach from cabin to restaurants; and back; playing in the three pools, one being the perfect depth for kids; Kids Club fun; meet and greet the residents - hermit crabs scuttle, monkeys relax, birds soar and iguanas stroll; great food; even better cocktails; taking kayaks out in the sheltered bay; snorkeling off the beach; fresh coconuts; dining out while watching the world go by.

Our room was 307, right next to the "adult only" spa area. The upside was some quiet with little to disturb the napping kids and a pleasant walk to the activity center. The downside was having a pool and restaurant outside the door that as a family we could not use.

There is a rental car company onsite which cost us about USD100/day for a small 4x4 AWD. Locally there are many more beaches to visit but little to do with kids. Playa Coco is worth visiting for local Costa Rica souvenirs and Playa Ocotal for some great tide pools. Setting off early we visited Rincon de la Vieja National Park at the Las Pailas Ranger Station which is about 1.5 hours drive away via Liberia. The 3km, 2.5 hour, circular hike is worth the effort but moderately taxing particularly when helping or carrying a toddler! We later found out that the Santa Maria Ranger Station is a longer drive but has shorter and easier walks.

The one star it lost was for the Great Restaurant Debacle. While the buffet is open for breakfast lunch and dinner, the best dinner experience is at one of the themed restaurants. Unfortunately these need to be booked, no sooner than the day before, and have limited seating at set times. Be sure to pass by guest services early or leave a message at reception to book a table. That being said, the food is great and our gluten free allergy was very well accommodated everywhere, with the Italian restaurant even having GF pasta. It airs on the side of haute cuisine with portions that allow you to enjoy a starter, main and desert :-)

Lastly, a Thank You to all the staff for making our stay so memorable ... Julio and JJ with coconuts and turning up with their shuttles just when you need them; cocktails from Pablo, Moses and Heisson; Rubi for entertaining the kids; Rocio, Eira, Anais, Francisco, Eduardo, Martha to name but a few ... you give the place its character. Thank you :-)

Room Tip: The 100s and 200s are around the activity center, the 300s are around the spa, and the 400s up high...
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Miguel_Eugene, General Manager at Secrets Papagayo Resort & Spa, responded to this review, August 14, 2014
Also consider these accommodations in or near Gulf of Papagayo
Occidental Grand Papagayo
Occidental Grand Papagayo
#7 of 15 in Gulf of Papagayo
3.5 of 5 stars 2,126 reviews

Been to Secrets Papagayo Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!