“Just okay” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Secrets Papagayo Resort & Spa

You added Secrets Papagayo Resort & Spa to your Saves list
Secrets Papagayo Resort & Spa
4.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Playa Arenilla, Costa Rica (Formerly Hilton Papagayo Costa Rica Resort & Spa)   |
United States
“Just okay”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 20, 2013

We visited the Hilton Papagayo on our honeymoon. Now, bear in mind that we spent the first half of our trip at Nayara, a truly exceptional hotel. We therefore arrived at the Hilton with really high expectations... and were therefore slightly let down. Honestly, there was nothing really WRONG with this hotel.. it's just okay. Our comments: There were many families and kids there during our visit, which made it feel less special for a honeymoon scenario. The room was just okay and had some random wires kind of pooled in a corner which didn't seem very luxury. It's sold as an "ocean view" but bear in mind that it's on a bay, so you should lower your expectations on the view. Also, internet access is not included and is crazy expensive in my opinion. Regarding the room cleaning service - they would often come by around 8am and if we were in the room at the time, they wouldn't come back until like 6pm to do the cleaning. I found that a little strange and inconvenient. Same with refilling the wet bar - they came by very early. There are two pools, one that is kid-free, so that's nice. Wildlife - there are a lot of birds and iguanas that wander by and through when you are eating outside; we even had a SKUNK scuttle by while eating dinner. All par for the course, I guess, but sometimes kind of ruined the experience. The food is just okay. Decent variety but after eating at all of the restaurants once, we really didn't have a desire to go back. The drinks are just okay... maybe to be expected at an all-inclusive. Know that you need to call for a ride every time you want to go from your room to the pool or meals...etc. because everything is quite spread out (again, keep in mind that we haven't visited an all-inclusive before, so maybe this is the norm). The grounds do have two hiking trails, which were a nice addition to spend an hour or so going to. The bed was comfortable! Overall, for the price I would've expected it to be better. Maybe not luxury, but just better.

Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts

Miguel_Eugene, General Manager at Secrets Papagayo Resort & Spa, responded to this review, May 21, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience and for providing us with feedback about your recent stay at Hilton Papagayo Costa Rica Resort & Spa.

We are constantly monitoring the performance of our hotels against Hilton's high service and quality standards. Comments and suggestions from our guests enable us to continually improve, and are vitally important in helping us achieve our Mission to be the first choice of the world's travelers.

Once again, the time taken along with the effort made to share your observations with is most appreciated.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (624)
  • Polish first
San José, Costa Rica
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 20, 2013

The Hotel is very quiet and romantic for a couple celebration or just for relax with the person you love, anyway the natural landscapes are awesome and breathtaking, relaxing, just like a Little piece of heaven on earth.

Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts

Miguel_Eugene, General Manager at Secrets Papagayo Resort & Spa, responded to this review, May 22, 2013
Thank you for staying with us at the Hilton Papagayo Costa Rica Resort & Spa..

I am happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay and that our staff was great and friendly I will be sure to share your comments with them.

In addition we appreciate that you gave us the opportunity of sharing our little corner of paradise by making you a member of the ` Pura Vida’ philosophy that permeates from the people of Costa Rica.

We hope that if you choose to return to this part of the world, please contact me directly for my personal attention to your reservation and any other need you may have.

Reading, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 16, 2013

We just returned from our Wedding-Moon at the Hilton Papagayo! I would recommend this resort to anyone looking for an intimate getaway. The staff was very friendly and accommodating. Our bungalow with private pool was very clean with a spectacular view. It was private and away from the public. Easy walk down to the main area, but I recommend shuttle service to get back unless you like hiking up hills. The overall resort was clean, food was good, especially having the chef cook the fish we caught! That was really cool. The spa is a great place to relax and the wedding coordinators ensure for a flawless, stress-free wedding day. I hope to return back to celebrate an anniversary. If you plan on getting married there, I also recommend Pronto Foto for all of your photography needs.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for choosing Hilton Papagayo Costa Rica Resort & Spa for your wedding - moon – I am happy to hear it was a success! We enjoyed taking care of you and we hope that you may consider returning to share many more special moments with us.
Virginia Beach, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 16, 2013

Excellent resort. Very much a couples getaway. If you are bringing a family, I would steer more towards other resorts with more pools and slides, etc. This was perfect for a week/weekend getaway. Very remote, gorgeous beaches right on the gulf. The service is some of the best I've ever witnessed. Excellent place to stay. Highly recommend.

Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts

Thank you for taking a moment to share your experience at Hilton Papagayo Costa Rica Resort & Spa. I’m happy to hear that our service made your stay more comfortable. We look forward to seeing you the next time you travel to Guanacaste area.
long island ny
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 15, 2013

The best place ever,staff was great and friendly all around place was clean and atmosphere was excellent.we manage to visite Liberia Costa Rica with all his mighty and beauty and see the cute monkeys ,water fall and great time with the mega combo experience the best time of my life ,everyone in this country is so worried free and nice.

Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts

Thank you for staying with us at the Hilton Papagayo Costa Rica Resort & Spa..

Seattle, Washington
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 14, 2013

The Hilton Papagayo was a pretty good all-inclusive resort. I don't know that I'd go back there on my own but if someone booked me a trip to stay there again I'd do it. Overall, I think the it is more of a 3.5 star than 4 star resort. I would definitely recommond leaving the resort during the day because that is when you'll get to experience the real Costa Rica. We also booked our tours with Issys Tour (request Diego) instead of the tour company attached to the hotel. They are cheaper, very well run and highly recommend.

Positives
- The beds were super comfortable which I think is one of the most important things when staying at a hotel. I slept great.
- The rooms weren't awesome but they were clean, had A/C, we had a nice view of the ocean and mountains
- The majority of the staff were friendly and helpful.
- The resort is very spread out which was nice and private and there were plenty of carts available to drive us around the resort.
- The breakfast brunch was the best food of the resort.
- I liked how they had two separate pool areas - one for the rowdy crowd with the swim up bar and one that was quiet and relaxing. It felt like you were staying at a different resort in each area which was nice - there was something for everyone.
- It seemed very child friendly (I left my little at home but there were lots of activities for the kids which was neat)
- We used the divers/boat tour company attached to the hotel and had a fun, private, sunset cruise one night. Our guide was great and we saw some beautiful scenery (mangroves, monkey head rock).
- I had a nice massage. Facilities were nice and relaxing.
- The room was stocked with free bottled water.
- Free internet from the lobby for 1 hr. If you login (on your smart phone) for free in the lobby or main pool area, you can take that 1 hr free internet anywhere within the hotel bounds. You can renew that as many times a day as you want.

Minuses
- Most of the restaurants were less then mediocre most of the time. We randomly had a couple ok meals once in a while. Example - we ordered the same meal three nights in a row and it was cooked differently each time. One night my fish was so overcooked I could barely cut through it.
- Lots of people were getting stomach sick. Not sure if it was something in the food or a virus going around but it was not pretty.
- The transporation service at the hotel lobby either messed up or didn't know what we were asking for because when we went down one evening to get our transporation to dinner a few miles away, there was no transporation and no one at the hotel was able to help us.
- The pools in the main area were pretty dirty. There were areas you had to keep away from because of the scum floating around. The spa pool was much nicer.
- I made a reservation at the spa for a mani and pedi and it was the most painful 5 min of my life. She immediately started digging into my cuticles and cut into the skin on my toe and it bled for a good 10 min after I left. Despite all of this though, the spa offered me a free massage which I used and it was great.
- Suntan lotion costs $30 at the gift shop! Go down to Coco Beach and visit the local grocery store to buy your goods.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Miguel_Eugene, General Manager at Secrets Papagayo Resort & Spa, responded to this review, May 23, 2013
Thank you for taking a moment to share your experience. I am happy to read your positives comments about the hotel. Also, your suggestions and observations have been brought to the Executive Chef, Front Desk , Maintenance and Spa Manager’s attention as we consider them improvement opportunities to seek excellence. However, for future reference, we kindly ask you to inform our Staff members or department heads during your stay, who will make sure that your needs and expectations are exceeded.
About the stomach sick that you mentioned we can certainly assure you that our food procedures and manipulations are performed under the most delicate standards. Thank you again for your feedback and I invite you back to stay with us the next time your travels bring you to the area.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 14, 2013

This was our second trip to the Hilton Papagayo in Costa Rica in two years. Our second trip was just as good as our first. The staff here are the nicest people around. It is a total paradise vacation. We had rooms that were ocean front so we could easily walk to the pool, beach, bar, spa and restaurants. Some rooms are further up the hill with great views but you might need to talk their shuttle that is always going around. We love the all inclusive, no need to carry credit card or cash.

If you want a vacation with total relaxation this is the place. Thank you to all the staff at the Resort for making our trip so enjoyable.

Stayed May 2013
Miguel_Eugene, General Manager at Secrets Papagayo Resort & Spa, responded to this review, May 17, 2013
I am very happy to read the review about your second stay at Hilton Papagayo Costa Rica Resort & Spa; and glad you found our rooms, pool, beach, Spa, restaurants of our hotel to your satisfaction . As well as our team members made your trip so enjoyable .

I hope that if you choose to return to this paradise, please contact me directly for my personal attention to your reservation and any other need you may have.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Gulf of Papagayo
Occidental Grand Papagayo
Occidental Grand Papagayo
#7 of 15 in Gulf of Papagayo
3.5 of 5 stars 2,128 reviews

Been to Secrets Papagayo Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!