“awsome time” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #5 of 16 Hotels in Gulf of Papagayo
long island ny
“awsome time”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 15, 2013

The best place ever,staff was great and friendly all around place was clean and atmosphere was excellent.we manage to visite Liberia Costa Rica with all his mighty and beauty and see the cute monkeys ,water fall and great time with the mega combo experience the best time of my life ,everyone in this country is so worried free and nice.

Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts

Miguel_Eugene, General Manager at Hilton Papagayo Costa Rica Resort & Spa, responded to this review, May 21, 2013
Thank you for staying with us at the Hilton Papagayo Costa Rica Resort & Spa..

I am happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay and that our staff was great and friendly I will be sure to share your comments with them.

In addition we appreciate that you gave us the opportunity of sharing our little corner of paradise by making you a member of the ` Pura Vida’ philosophy that permeates from the people of Costa Rica.

We hope that if you choose to return to this part of the world, please contact me directly for my personal attention to your reservation and any other need you may have.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (529)
Seattle, Washington
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 14, 2013

The Hilton Papagayo was a pretty good all-inclusive resort. I don't know that I'd go back there on my own but if someone booked me a trip to stay there again I'd do it. Overall, I think the it is more of a 3.5 star than 4 star resort. I would definitely recommond leaving the resort during the day because that is when you'll get to experience the real Costa Rica. We also booked our tours with Issys Tour (request Diego) instead of the tour company attached to the hotel. They are cheaper, very well run and highly recommend.

Positives
- The beds were super comfortable which I think is one of the most important things when staying at a hotel. I slept great.
- The rooms weren't awesome but they were clean, had A/C, we had a nice view of the ocean and mountains
- The majority of the staff were friendly and helpful.
- The resort is very spread out which was nice and private and there were plenty of carts available to drive us around the resort.
- The breakfast brunch was the best food of the resort.
- I liked how they had two separate pool areas - one for the rowdy crowd with the swim up bar and one that was quiet and relaxing. It felt like you were staying at a different resort in each area which was nice - there was something for everyone.
- It seemed very child friendly (I left my little at home but there were lots of activities for the kids which was neat)
- We used the divers/boat tour company attached to the hotel and had a fun, private, sunset cruise one night. Our guide was great and we saw some beautiful scenery (mangroves, monkey head rock).
- I had a nice massage. Facilities were nice and relaxing.
- The room was stocked with free bottled water.
- Free internet from the lobby for 1 hr. If you login (on your smart phone) for free in the lobby or main pool area, you can take that 1 hr free internet anywhere within the hotel bounds. You can renew that as many times a day as you want.

Minuses
- Most of the restaurants were less then mediocre most of the time. We randomly had a couple ok meals once in a while. Example - we ordered the same meal three nights in a row and it was cooked differently each time. One night my fish was so overcooked I could barely cut through it.
- Lots of people were getting stomach sick. Not sure if it was something in the food or a virus going around but it was not pretty.
- The transporation service at the hotel lobby either messed up or didn't know what we were asking for because when we went down one evening to get our transporation to dinner a few miles away, there was no transporation and no one at the hotel was able to help us.
- The pools in the main area were pretty dirty. There were areas you had to keep away from because of the scum floating around. The spa pool was much nicer.
- I made a reservation at the spa for a mani and pedi and it was the most painful 5 min of my life. She immediately started digging into my cuticles and cut into the skin on my toe and it bled for a good 10 min after I left. Despite all of this though, the spa offered me a free massage which I used and it was great.
- Suntan lotion costs $30 at the gift shop! Go down to Coco Beach and visit the local grocery store to buy your goods.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Miguel_Eugene, General Manager at Hilton Papagayo Costa Rica Resort & Spa, responded to this review, May 23, 2013
Thank you for taking a moment to share your experience. I am happy to read your positives comments about the hotel. Also, your suggestions and observations have been brought to the Executive Chef, Front Desk , Maintenance and Spa Manager’s attention as we consider them improvement opportunities to seek excellence. However, for future reference, we kindly ask you to inform our Staff members or department heads during your stay, who will make sure that your needs and expectations are exceeded.
About the stomach sick that you mentioned we can certainly assure you that our food procedures and manipulations are performed under the most delicate standards. Thank you again for your feedback and I invite you back to stay with us the next time your travels bring you to the area.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 14, 2013

This was our second trip to the Hilton Papagayo in Costa Rica in two years. Our second trip was just as good as our first. The staff here are the nicest people around. It is a total paradise vacation. We had rooms that were ocean front so we could easily walk to the pool, beach, bar, spa and restaurants. Some rooms are further up the hill with great views but you might need to talk their shuttle that is always going around. We love the all inclusive, no need to carry credit card or cash.

If you want a vacation with total relaxation this is the place. Thank you to all the staff at the Resort for making our trip so enjoyable.

Stayed May 2013
Miguel_Eugene, General Manager at Hilton Papagayo Costa Rica Resort & Spa, responded to this review, May 17, 2013
I am very happy to read the review about your second stay at Hilton Papagayo Costa Rica Resort & Spa; and glad you found our rooms, pool, beach, Spa, restaurants of our hotel to your satisfaction . As well as our team members made your trip so enjoyable .

I hope that if you choose to return to this paradise, please contact me directly for my personal attention to your reservation and any other need you may have.

New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 14, 2013

My boyfriend and I stayed at this resort for 4 nights and 5 days and could not have asked for a more amazing experience. The staff was more than accommodating and polite , the rooms were spacious and the scenery was spectacular. The food was great for an all inclusive. It was the perfect little getaway from the busy city life we lead. Wildlife was great, the excursions were fun and the spa was awesome. I can't wait to go back!!!!

Room Tip: Ask for a room in the 110's - close to everything with an amazing view of the ocean yet still pr...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your review.

I am pleased to hear you and your boyfriend had an amazing experience at Hilton Papagayo Costa Rica Resort & Spa .

We are all about Satisfaction Guaranteed and I will let our staff know that they helped make your trip great!

The Hilton Papagayo family looks forward to your return.
Vista, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 14, 2013

This is my 2nd time visiting Costa Rica! We have stayed at he Hilton resort this last trip, it was nice but a little run down in some areas, the food was average for an AllInclusive but still there were a few different restaurants and the next town over has a bunch of good restaurants, bars and shops. playas del Coco is where we found the first time to explore night life off the hotel property. We enjoyed the pool and the beach Palapas are really nice and comfortable, just get down there early because you will be out of luck if you wait till 10:30 to grab a chair.

We traveled and toured with the same company as last year, Costa Rican Tours and Services. Meghan is so easy to talk to in booking your tours and transfers, she explains everything over the phone( 760-298-8398) which I love because then I can ask a million questions and she has an answers for all of them. We have them pick up and drop off from the airport it's Private and more affordable than the hotels options. We booked a few tours that we wanted to again and then we wanted to try the new 4x4 safari tour! We were really not sure what to expect on this tour since Alex told us we would be driving and following the guide, needless to say this tour was amazing! It was like nothing I have ever experienced, I was crushing through valleys and river beds spotting wildlife and great views. We were challenged in a safe and encouraging way with Erick who would guide us through the trails in the jeeps up mountain sides and down canyons! My family had a blast and we couldn't stop talking about how much fun it was. We also went to the Volcano and hot Springs because we enjoyed It so Much the first time and loved relaxing by the river bank and jump in the hot springs.

Our Family loves Costa Rica and can't wait to come back again! I would recommend and refer Costa Rican Tours and Services to anyone who want to have an easy booking experience and explore the true essence of Costa Rica !

Best,

Don

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for taking a moment to share your terrific experience at Costa Rica. I am happy to hear you found the pool and the beach palapas to your liking. We look forward to serving your travel needs at the Hilton Papagayo Costa Rica Resort & Spa should you return to the Guanacaste area.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2013 via mobile

My girlfriend and I just got back from our trip to Costa Rica this past April. We were really lookin g forward to our first vacation away together and Costa Rica has been out top choice for a while. We have had family and friends who have been and they recommended the Hilton Hotel for accommodations and Costa Rican Tours and Services for tours and transfers so we did just that and wouldn't have changed a thing!
The Hilton Papagayo hotel was just right for us, the location from the airport to surrounding areas and Playas del coco was a great added bonus town that was close by so my girlfriend and I were close to fun nightlife just a cab ride away.
The hotel itself was nice and comfortable the shuttle made it super easy to get around and we spent most of the time at the swim up bar at the pool and we just loved mingling and sunning... And man was it Hot !

For the tours we really wanted to have a lot of adrenaline fun in the wild! So we booked the 4x4 offroad safari ride and then the Volcano adventure day with the Zipline and river rafting they wee by far the funniest days during our week. We loved booing with Meghan she was super friendly and was great with working in our budget! Alex the guide was hilarious and so informative at he same time! Who knows maybe in the future we can come back for a honeymoon !

• Stayed April 2013
Miguel_Eugene, General Manager at Hilton Papagayo Costa Rica Resort & Spa, responded to this review, May 14, 2013
Thank you for taking a moment to share your experience.
I am glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay and that we met and exceeded your expectations.
If you choose to return to this part of the world, please contact me directly for my personal attention to your reservation and any other need you may have.

The Hilton Papagayo family looks forward to your return.
Bloomington, Indiana
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 11, 2013

I very highly recomend this hotel for their service, their "out of their way" service to the guests. The food service and choices are very amazing and all their workers are very nice and hard working. AGAIN, I highly recomend this hotel.

Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts

Thank you for your review. We at the Hilton Papagayo Costa Rica Resort & Spa are very happy to hear that you had an amazing stay with us.

In addition, I am glad to know you found the resort clean and the amazing view from the room to your liking.

We are all about Satisfaction Guaranteed and I will let our team member know that they helped make your trip great!

We hope to see you again soon.

Been to Hilton Papagayo Costa Rica Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!