“Unique, Beautiful & Quiet Property” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
ALL Inclusive+$50 credit
Ranked #5 of 16 Hotels in Gulf of Papagayo
michigan
“Unique, Beautiful & Quiet Property”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2013

We stayed in a bungalow (two independent rooms attached, side by side spread throughout resort)...didn't have a problem with noise from adjoining room, which was occupied; beds are extremely comfortable (this was the first time I was actually able to sleep all night through, without tossing and turning, at a resort); the room was very bright and clean and while not extremely large perfectly acceptable for 3 or 4 people to stay in since the room is only used to shower and sleep in.

The food was good with plenty of variety. Staff was very helpful and friendly. As usual, alcoholic beverages seemed to be watered down (I've never had a good drink at an all inclusive). We asked for top shelf liquor but was told there wasn't any.

The resort is spread out over a large, steep, hilly property (which is gorgeous - especially at night with all of the lights and terraces). Transportation is available to get you where you need to go if you don't like walking.

This is a quiet resort, if you are looking to party this isn't the place for you. Beach and pool volleyball seemed to be the most popular activity on a daily basis. Other than kayaks, nothing else available. Would be nice if the resort got a couple of small catamarans for experienced sailors to take into the bay or for staff to take guests out on for a short trip...wind was good in the area. Pool area and beach were clean.

We used Herson Segura to pick us up and drop us off at Liberia airport - $40 each way. He also took us on a day trip to Arenal. He was very friendly and knowledgeable.,,for the same price, or a little cheaper, it was great not being on a bus with 40 other people from different hotels. You can reach him at: herson03@yahoo.com.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Miguel_Eugene, General Manager at Hilton Papagayo Costa Rica Resort & Spa, responded to this review, April 30, 2013
Thank you for taking the time in write about your experience at the hotel.

I am pleased to know your comments and particularly than we met and exceeded your expectations.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (541)
Chicago, Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2013

Just got back from Costa Rica and had a great time.
Here some extra info.hope it helps
\ They take US dollars every place.
\ Taxi should be $50 each way. I paid $100 round trip for 2 people. Pacific Tours Costa Rica www.liberiaairporttaxxi.com these guys did a great job and the little girl who meets you and translated did a great job.
\ Liberia AP was easy to get in and out of. Realy I had no problem. You do have to pay a $29 exist tax.
\ This is Hilton property is a secluded spread out property. Meaning small golf cart buses move you around the property. I walked allot and got some exercise.
\ Staff were all very friendly, no problems there.The younger staff all speak varying degrees of English. Check in was crazy, wrong room, couldn't check in right away ect. It got much better once I got to my room.
\ Need extra drinks, beer , soda , water, for your room make sure to leave a note on the mini frig how many you want
\The main pool is where most people hang out in-between. 4 of the 5 places to get food and drink are by here. If you want a drink before 11am bring your room beer down to the pool, the pool bars don't open till 11am. This made me a little crazy but I survived.
/The 2nd adult pool by the spa is a waste, you cant get any kind of beverage and its just a boring rectangle. its kind of a waste of space.
\All of the rooms/ face the water in a U shape working upward, Its like you are in a cut out crater. There are a coupe of rooms at the very top that only face the forest but you are hardly ever in your room.
\ When you buy stuff on the property, tours, coffee, snacks ect. and you are a Hilton Diamond member ask about the discount. I found out by accident. Not sure about other levels.
\ Plan on tours. If you aren't on a tour or renting a boat or something there isn't much to do but walk around the property. Most days there is hardly anyone by the pool. Afternoon and nights is when you will see people.
\ Food was overall good. I booked at restaurants 3 of my 6 nights, I thought the food was not very good at 2 of them, It may have just been that night and there were other things to try, you can always go to the main open seating restaurant or order snack food from main outside bar. Always good there..
\ All of the tours are good but you will climb. If you don't want a lot of steps take the boat ride, very cool and the coach tour. Zip line requires jumping up to hook on and man are you high. The walking tour has lots of uneven steps but was nice.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time in write about your recent experience at the hotel.

We are aware of the importance of guest feedback being it positive or negative. Therefore, we are grateful when guests take the time to write or inform us of their experiences.

Once again, the time taken along with the effort made to share your experience with us is most appreciated.

Napanee, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 25, 2013

The entire resort was amazing. Best I have ever been to by far. The location was beautiful, the food was incredible and the staff were the best! I truly believe it's the staff that separates the good from the best. Many resorts have picturesque locations with beautiful sights, but if you are not treated well, than you won't enjoy your time. At the Hilton Papagayo, we were treated in a very friendly manner, always made to feel welcome and important and the staff was always eager to help. To make the most of your stay, make sure to participate in the daily activities!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Miguel_Eugene, General Manager at Hilton Papagayo Costa Rica Resort & Spa, responded to this review, April 29, 2013

I was glad to read from your review that you had an incredible vacation with us.

I hope that if you choose to return to this part of the world, please contact me directly for my personal attention to your reservation and any other need you may have.

The Hilton Papagayo family looks forward to your return.

Lloydminster, Saskatchewan, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 25, 2013

We stayed here for a week for our honeymoon! Location was amazing we were in 217 overlooking the ocean and steps from the pool, bar and restaurants. Very laid back quiet resort all night life was over by 1030. Food was amazing . Steak is fantastic! Staff is excellent and very accomadating, shuttles always available to take you wherever you need to go. Free wifi! Rooms were very nice and clean, lots of monkeys on the resort ! Drinks were excelllent recommend the miami vice!!! Overall was an excellent honeymoon, would definitely go back.

• Stayed April 2013

Thank you again for your feedback and I invite you back to stay to share many future anniversaries with us!

Washington DC, District of Columbia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 24, 2013

This property is advertised as offering indulgences and being "upscale" and comparable to the Four Seasons. All of those are lies. Not only is it not comparable to any Four Seasons on this planet, it's not even a nice Hilton. Every single thing (furniture, bedding, construction) is of the cheapest quality and therefore, the wear and tear is evident -- chunks of wood knicked out of every single piece of furniture in our room including the door which was alarming since it looked like someone had tried to break into the room. The bed squeaked and the walls were paper thin in our "bungalow" enabling us to hear every movement next door. We checked out 2 hours after seeing our room and moved to another resort.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Miguel_Eugene, General Manager at Hilton Papagayo Costa Rica Resort & Spa, responded to this review, April 26, 2013
I regret reading this message and that our resort is not to your liking.

I want to take this opportunity to clarify that we do not publish or compare ourselves anywhere
with a Four Seasons hotel, products and concepts are different.

Our architecture, environment and materials have nothing to do with a city hotel.

Our location and design incorporated into the natural environment make us leaders in the eco resort destination.

Two hours are insufficient to experience our service and warmth of our staff.
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2013

We stayed there from April 11-15 and did not have running water in our room for 2 1/2 days without explanation. We asked to change rooms, but they did not. We had to take our stuff and shower at the spa and use the restroom at the pool or spa. We did get a discount on our stay, but we had to be persistent. Besides that problem, the facility is beautiful, well kept and clean. It is still the dry season, so everything was brown and the trees didn't have leaves, but everyone told us that after the first couple rains in May, everything will be green again. The food was just ok, but they do have a lot of options. The bartenders and wait staff were great! My husband and I got a massage at the spa, which was wonderful...I highly recommend it! The resort is located on a bay so there is land across the way and the water is pretty calm. It's just a short boat ride to the open ocean though. There's a nice hiking trail that has a wonderful lookout over the ocean and the sunset. We went by ourselves, but I think they do the hike as a group activity too.

Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts

I was happy to read from your review that you enjoyed your massage at the Spa, the sunset. And our staff exceeds your expectations.

I understand from your review that you had some water issues while you stayed with us. I sincerely apologize if this inconvenienced you in any way. the problema came from our extrenal provider AYA , the incidente affected the whole Papagayo area and the other hotels.

If you travels bring you back to our area. Please know that we value your business and will work hard to earn your trust once again.

Lakewood Ranch, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2013

This is the first time I have ever written a review about somewhere I haven't been to yet.

My husband and I plan to visit for 5 nights in September to celebrate our 30th Wedding Anniversary so I sent a quick message via their website not expecting the response I got.

I have been a Diamond Member with Hilton for years and through a last minute hotel change requested by a client last year I dropped down to Gold (falling a few days short of Diamond requirement). As a Diamond Member I am pretty spoiled by Hilton and only stay at other brands grudgingly.

Since I am currently Gold, I thought I would have to settle for less than being spoiled. Boy was I wrong!

I received a personal email from Paulo Bonilla outlining in detail how to make reservations for Hilton and non-Hilton events and adventures. I am so pleased with the care and consideration taken in answering my question - instead of a form letter.

If this is any indication on what we can expect for our 30th Anniversary stay it will be amazing.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Miguel_Eugene, General Manager at Hilton Papagayo Costa Rica Resort & Spa, responded to this review, April 25, 2013
Grettings from sunny Costa Rica

I was glad to read from your review that our team member Paulo Bonilla exceeds your expectations in sending the information about your upcoming visit to Hilton Papagayo Costa Rica and take care of every detail about it

We look forward to welcome you at our paradise and we will strive to meet your every need throughout your stay in order to make your 30th anniversary truly memorable.

Been to Hilton Papagayo Costa Rica Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!