“Awesome honeymoon!!!” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #5 of 16 hotels in Gulf of Papagayo
Lloydminster, Saskatchewan, Canada
“Awesome honeymoon!!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 25, 2013

We stayed here for a week for our honeymoon! Location was amazing we were in 217 overlooking the ocean and steps from the pool, bar and restaurants. Very laid back quiet resort all night life was over by 1030. Food was amazing . Steak is fantastic! Staff is excellent and very accomadating, shuttles always available to take you wherever you need to go. Free wifi! Rooms were very nice and clean, lots of monkeys on the resort ! Drinks were excelllent recommend the miami vice!!! Overall was an excellent honeymoon, would definitely go back.

• Stayed April 2013
Miguel_Eugene, General Manager at Hilton Papagayo Costa Rica Resort & Spa, responded to this review, April 29, 2013
Thank you for taking the time in write about your recent experience at the hotel.

I am pleased to know your comments and particularly than we met and exceeded your expectations.

Thank you again for your feedback and I invite you back to stay to share many future anniversaries with us!

1,997 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (480)
Washington DC, District of Columbia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 24, 2013

This property is advertised as offering indulgences and being "upscale" and comparable to the Four Seasons. All of those are lies. Not only is it not comparable to any Four Seasons on this planet, it's not even a nice Hilton. Every single thing (furniture, bedding, construction) is of the cheapest quality and therefore, the wear and tear is evident -- chunks of wood knicked out of every single piece of furniture in our room including the door which was alarming since it looked like someone had tried to break into the room. The bed squeaked and the walls were paper thin in our "bungalow" enabling us to hear every movement next door. We checked out 2 hours after seeing our room and moved to another resort.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Miguel_Eugene, General Manager at Hilton Papagayo Costa Rica Resort & Spa, responded to this review, April 26, 2013
I regret reading this message and that our resort is not to your liking.

I want to take this opportunity to clarify that we do not publish or compare ourselves anywhere
with a Four Seasons hotel, products and concepts are different.

Our architecture, environment and materials have nothing to do with a city hotel.

Our location and design incorporated into the natural environment make us leaders in the eco resort destination.

Two hours are insufficient to experience our service and warmth of our staff.
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2013

We stayed there from April 11-15 and did not have running water in our room for 2 1/2 days without explanation. We asked to change rooms, but they did not. We had to take our stuff and shower at the spa and use the restroom at the pool or spa. We did get a discount on our stay, but we had to be persistent. Besides that problem, the facility is beautiful, well kept and clean. It is still the dry season, so everything was brown and the trees didn't have leaves, but everyone told us that after the first couple rains in May, everything will be green again. The food was just ok, but they do have a lot of options. The bartenders and wait staff were great! My husband and I got a massage at the spa, which was wonderful...I highly recommend it! The resort is located on a bay so there is land across the way and the water is pretty calm. It's just a short boat ride to the open ocean though. There's a nice hiking trail that has a wonderful lookout over the ocean and the sunset. We went by ourselves, but I think they do the hike as a group activity too.

Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts

I was happy to read from your review that you enjoyed your massage at the Spa, the sunset. And our staff exceeds your expectations.

I understand from your review that you had some water issues while you stayed with us. I sincerely apologize if this inconvenienced you in any way. the problema came from our extrenal provider AYA , the incidente affected the whole Papagayo area and the other hotels.

If you travels bring you back to our area. Please know that we value your business and will work hard to earn your trust once again.

Lakewood Ranch, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2013

This is the first time I have ever written a review about somewhere I haven't been to yet.

My husband and I plan to visit for 5 nights in September to celebrate our 30th Wedding Anniversary so I sent a quick message via their website not expecting the response I got.

I have been a Diamond Member with Hilton for years and through a last minute hotel change requested by a client last year I dropped down to Gold (falling a few days short of Diamond requirement). As a Diamond Member I am pretty spoiled by Hilton and only stay at other brands grudgingly.

Since I am currently Gold, I thought I would have to settle for less than being spoiled. Boy was I wrong!

I received a personal email from Paulo Bonilla outlining in detail how to make reservations for Hilton and non-Hilton events and adventures. I am so pleased with the care and consideration taken in answering my question - instead of a form letter.

If this is any indication on what we can expect for our 30th Anniversary stay it will be amazing.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Miguel_Eugene, General Manager at Hilton Papagayo Costa Rica Resort & Spa, responded to this review, April 25, 2013
Grettings from sunny Costa Rica

I was glad to read from your review that our team member Paulo Bonilla exceeds your expectations in sending the information about your upcoming visit to Hilton Papagayo Costa Rica and take care of every detail about it

We look forward to welcome you at our paradise and we will strive to meet your every need throughout your stay in order to make your 30th anniversary truly memorable.

Albertville, Minnesota
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2013

My family of 5 adults visited April 11 to April 19. The staff and accommodations were very good and the food was great. The hotel was clean and comfortable but you do need to keep the luggage off the floor as there are some insects on the floor once in a while. The pools were very nice and it was nice to have the choice of the active main pool with music and activity and the spa pool for a more quiet relaxing environment. Pablo, Jose, JJ and the entire staff were great! The entire staff wanted you to have a great time and went out of their way to assure it. There were some days when the water did not work in the room for a few hours but this is not a problem when the beach and pools are where you are spending your time at. I would go here again for sure.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family

I was glad to read from your review that you had a very good vacation with us.

I hope that if you choose to return to this part of the world, please contact me directly for my personal attention to your reservation and any other need you may have.

The Hilton Papagayo family looks forward to your return.

Des Moines, Iowa
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2013

Make sure you are happy with the room before you unpack! If not request a different room! Stayed 4 days at this location and the water to our room was shut on and off for the first 2 days! Stayed in room 432 and they tried to fixed the AC on the first day which move the temp down from 78 to 72 degree but couldn't get it colder. Had some friends with us too, they switched rooms because their room was to warm.

Room Tip: Rooms 432-439 have very old AC and can't get the room below 72 degrees!
Westfield, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 18, 2013

Excellent time at Hilton Papagayo. Very friendly staff, especially Pablo, Haber and Arturo. Arturo spent time talking about Hilton and how they operate.

Nice bike ride with pleasant guy (forgot name). May have been best part of trip. Not too strenuous.

Monkeys were in evidence. IT IS HOT THERE. Excellent food. Very relaxing. Just right for us, maybe not so much for thrill seekers.

Room Tip: we stayed in 118. down low and convenient. these are big hills throughout.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family

I was glad to read from your review that you had a " Pura Vida " vacation with us.

The Hilton Papagayo family looks forward to your return.

Been to Hilton Papagayo Costa Rica Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!